SMSL M300 - Balanced AK4497 DAC
Mar 26, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #48 of 58
I recently got a M300 MK II and I already own a SU-8. I have A/B compared them on a couple of amps and think they sound very similar. I think the M300 may be slightly more accurate, dry, and clean, but the sounds is pretty similar to my ears. I'm a big fan of the SU-8 and for the price, I'd still likely recommend it over the M300.

I do enjoy the little color screen on the M300 and I'm very interested to see if I can get hi def Bluetooth to work as that would be a nice feature to have in my bedroom system.

Apr 3, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #49 of 58
I recently got a M300 MK II and I already own a SU-8. I have A/B compared them on a couple of amps and think they sound very similar. I think the M300 may be slightly more accurate, dry, and clean, but the sounds is pretty similar to my ears. I'm a big fan of the SU-8 and for the price, I'd still likely recommend it over the M300.

I do enjoy the little color screen on the M300 and I'm very interested to see if I can get hi def Bluetooth to work as that would be a nice feature to have in my bedroom system.

Thanks for the input. One simple question, that might be kind of stupid for most here, but I see all these DACS with XLR and RCA outputs. I would like to use the XLR outputs to my active studio monitors, and then the RCA to my JDS atom headphone amp. My question is, how do you switch between them? is that even possible? I know you can switch between inputs, but what about the analog output switching??

Apr 3, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #50 of 58
Thanks for the input. One simple question, that might be kind of stupid for most here, but I see all these DACS with XLR and RCA outputs. I would like to use the XLR outputs to my active studio monitors, and then the RCA to my JDS atom headphone amp. My question is, how do you switch between them? is that even possible? I know you can switch between inputs, but what about the analog output switching??

Every unit is a little different in how it handles this, but I know on the SU-8 both outputs are live all the time. I leave both my Taboo (connected via single-ended) and my Monolith 124459 (connected via balanced xlr) plugged in all the time and then I just power up the one I want to use. The balanced outputs are the better signal path but it doesn't much matter if the next device in the chain is not equipped for balanced inputs.

Apr 3, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #51 of 58
Thanks a lot for the swift reply, I have a feeling all these devices with both XLR and RCA outputs they work all like that, right? In that case, I guess I would have to switch off my speakers every night, turn them on again every morning, and the switch is behind them... and they are on an actual bookshelf... kinda pain in the ass... M300 MkII are like that too, right?

Apr 15, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #53 of 58
1586962885683.png

Apr 15, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #55 of 58
looks like a fierce topping d90 competitor
Yes, looking forward to reviews. Just received my SMSL SP200 and wanted a new DAC to pair with it. The M400 could be it.

May 8, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #57 of 58
Hey gang, jumping back to the M300, a few folks asked for my thoughts compared to the SU-8. I made a quick video, maybe a little general for this audience but hopefully, it is helpful to some.

Just starting to goof around on youtube so welcome any feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back