SMSL iDEA portable dac+amp
Jan 4, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #316 of 544
I have an SMSL idea and Chord Mojo coming in the next 2 weeks. I don't care much about features, I just need a hiss-free or low hiss device with low output impedance for IEM's( Andromeda, CA Harmony 8.2).
They both seem to tick the boxes. One for 6x the price though.
mojo has nice low (near zero) output impedance.. till 6kHz. it starts growing then, 0.5ohms at 10kHz, 1ohm at ~15kHz, 1.5ohms at 20kHz.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/800208/#post_12803183
http://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/amp/chord-mojo.php
so expect some tonal alterations in top highs (lower than 2dB, though) with BA iems like andromeda

Jan 8, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #317 of 544
I have the Sabaj DA3 and it's excellent. It's a thick sound but with good detail and it's quite organic sounding. Bass is pretty big but doesn't dominate. I have it as my laptop DAC going in to the SMSL T2 vacuum Tube and the two of them work perfectly together. The T2 combined with my other USB Dacs which are Cambridge Audio DACMAGIC V2 and Topping NX2 sounded very crisp and very detailed but a bit thin (which did give it an open sound). Connected to the Sabaj DA3 it's a different ball game. It's the best setup I've used yet and it's getting some super results out of my headphones and earphones and put life in to sets I'd pretty much discarded. the smoothness of the DA3 and the slightly bright SMSL T2 combine perfectly to give a smooth but very detailed sound, very open and lovely extension both ways. Very organic and soundstage def slightly wider. I've used it with DSD streams and I can def hear a slight difference the higher you go.

This setup drives all my IEMs and headphones well. Will it drive sets like HD650... yes, but maybe at the highest volume setting on both.

Jan 18, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #319 of 544
Just got a S.M.S.L IQ, I don't know how similar to the iDEA it is, but I am impressed.

The sound was a bit cold at first but after a while the thing warmed up and took me by surprise with a huge soundstage (at least compared to my phone using the HTC usb-c to 3.5 with built-in DAC or what I remember of my Onkyo DP-X1 or Granbeat I owned a while ago. Or maybe I just don't remember well).

Sound is full of details, lows are heavy but not overwhelming, mids are detailed, highs too without being harsh. Not Mojo warm but not as clinical as I was expecting. (I have sold my Mojo a long time ago too)

I have only used it in balanced mode so far and I'm pairing it with a Xperia XZ1 compact + SE846 (+ Onkyo HF player).

The thing is light, thin and quite tiny (95mm x 56mm x 9mm). I was expecting something roughly the size of my phone (which is only 5") but it is still smaller. Both devices attached together are still pocketable in my front pants pocket.
I was a bit disappointed to find no accessories except the necessary short cables though.
The included micro-usb to usb-c cable works but having straights connectors and being in white color, I have ordered a black angled one.
I wasn't convinced by the product photos showing the flat horizontal volume wheel, but it is a multifunction selector with pushing function, a bit like some old MD walkman, I like it.

201712281346105096.jpg

1 or 2 things I don't like though:
- the tiny OLED screen is always on. Not sure if it affects the battery but I dont see it when stacked anyway.
- the power button is on top... weird decision... luckily I am using a repositionnable double-sided sticky pad for stacking so it is fine with its thickness. That could be an issue if you attach it directly to your device with silicone bands.

I was considering an iDEA or even a Dragonfly black/red, but having something hanging, sucking my phone battery and possibly having a chain of cable adapters lead me to get something stackable instead.
I have paid around USD125 (HKD 1000) and I am very pleased.

Jan 19, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #320 of 544
Just got a S.M.S.L IQ, I don't know how similar to the iDEA it is, but I am impressed.

The sound was a bit cold at first but after a while the thing warmed up and took me by surprise with a huge soundstage (at least compared to my phone using the HTC usb-c to 3.5 with built-in DAC or what I remember of my Onkyo DP-X1 or Granbeat I owned a while ago. Or maybe I just don't remember well).

Sound is full of details, lows are heavy but not overwhelming, mids are detailed, highs too without being harsh. Not Mojo warm but not as clinical as I was expecting. (I have sold my Mojo a long time ago too)

I have only used it in balanced mode so far and I'm pairing it with a Xperia XZ1 compact + SE846 (+ Onkyo HF player).

The thing is light, thin and quite tiny (95mm x 56mm x 9mm). I was expecting something roughly the size of my phone (which is only 5") but it is still smaller. Both devices attached together are still pocketable in my front pants pocket.
I was a bit disappointed to find no accessories except the necessary short cables though.
The included micro-usb to usb-c cable works but having straights connectors and being in white color, I have ordered a black angled one.
I wasn't convinced by the product photos showing the flat horizontal volume wheel, but it is a multifunction selector with pushing function, a bit like some old MD walkman, I like it.

201712281346105096.jpg

- the tiny OLED screen is always on. Not sure if it affects the battery but I dont see it when stacked anyway.
- the power button is on top... weird decision... luckily I am using a repositionnable double-sided sticky pad for stacking so it is fine with its thickness. That could be an issue if you attach it directly to your device with silicone bands.

I was considering an iDEA or even a Dragonfly black/red, but having something hanging, sucking my phone battery and possibly having a chain of cable adapters lead me to get something stackable instead.
The IQ is very similar to the Sabaj Da3.

Jan 19, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #323 of 544
i am thinking of getting the Sabaj Da3, i have dragonfly 1.2, i hope that it will have some improvement
It should be. I've heard some prefering it over the DFR which is way better than the 1.2.

If you guys want to compare the insides of the DA3 and the IQ I've found some pics.

Sabaj DA3 :
SzlW58Y.jpg

t2Lqh5K.jpg

SMSL IQ :
rHKcGLC.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #326 of 544
The DA3 and IQ don't look all that different. The DA3 is a linear design, running straight from the input to output. The IQ runs a U-turn.

The pictures are blurry for the DA3 so I might be wrong but the DA3's board and solder quality looks a little worse than the IQ's. However, the IQ's PCB traces run longer for both digital supply side and analog output traces.

I won't pretend to know which board layout/quality is better. Seems like a wash to me.

Jan 23, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #327 of 544

201712281346105096.jpg

I have been looking for a portable solution that will give me the possibility to hear balanced and I came across this. Cant find anything on youtube or the forums about it, I think its the perfect solution. My only question is do you think that even the most discernible listener would admit that its high quality. Like ODAC or even HA 2. I know the power isnt like some but I have easy to drive hp? Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back