SMSL iDEA portable dac+amp
Dec 26, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #301 of 544
Sorry to hear that. I have from SMSL: M8A, M8, M2, iDea, X3, X4, iDol +, sApII Pro and previously had Sanskrit 6th. No problem with any of them.
You mentioned that you have the M8 and the M8A - how do you like them? I'm thinking of getting the M8 and using the $50 I save to buy a linear power supply (http://bit.ly/2C7Y97v).

Dec 26, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #303 of 544
I recently connected the SMSL X4 directly to the PS4's USB port and it worked! No more bad sound! I'm very happy to have worked so well! Guys, could anyone please answer or advise me if the SMSL M3 is better than the Sabaj D2 (Also DAC + AMP headphone, 10$ cheaper)? I'm thinking of getting the Sabaj D2 to also plug it into the PS4's USB port, in addition to using it on the computer. Worth it? Will I have better audio quality? Between SMSL M3 and Sabaj D2 = Which one has the best audio quality?
I haven't heard them, so I don't know. If you go to the Sabaj website and compare the specs of the D2 to the Da1, which is the same as the SMSL X4, it looks like it may not be any better than what you already have.

Dec 30, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #305 of 544
I bought an iDEA a couple weeks ago and have been impressed by its value. Compared to other SABRE9018Q2C-based USB DAC/amps (i.e. NextDrive Spectra, Cozoy TAKT Pro), it's the least expensive (discounting the near-identical Sabaj DA2), and seems to perform up to par.

I just noticed that SMSL have a dual-mono version of the iDEA, called the IQ, that's only visible on the Simplified Chinese version of its website: http://www.smsl-audio.com/cn/productshow.asp?id=142

Because it uses a balanced topology, the IQ now offers balanced output that accompanies improved power delivery (55 mW vs 35 mW into 32 ohms on unbalanced outputs), lower THD+N, and thus improved SNR & DNR.

The Silicon Labs multiclock generator for MCLK is now replaced by two discrete TXCOs for 44.1 and 48 kHz multiples. Perhaps it'll be a little better performing in terms of jitter reduction, but I don't know if the change will be noticeably audible.

Just as a word of note, while the SMSL iDEA and the Sabaj DA2 seem to be identical in terms of PCB layout and parts usage, the Sabaj analog to the SMSL IQ seems to be slightly different.

This is the Sabaj DA3: http://www.sabaj.com.cn/productshow.asp?id=74

Not only are the TCXOs used of a different brand, the PCB layout is slightly different. The stated specifications are ever so slightly different as well; the Sabaj has a measured DNR of 125.219 dB, while the SMSL has a measured DNR of 125.559 dB. The Sabaj has a specified power of 56 mW into 32 ohms, while the SMSL, as stated previously has a power of 55 mW. Thus, the stated THD+N for the Sabaj is slightly higher at 0.00038% compared to the SMSL's 0.00033%. Now, these are tiny, tiny differences that ultimately are indiscernible to the human ear, but the differences do suggest a slightly different parts bill. Because the SABRE9018Q2C is an SoC, there's not much tweaking to be done in terms of the sound. Both devices, like the iDEA/DA2 before them, will likely implement a bog-standard symmetric sinc filter. The only differences governing the end result for sound will be determined by how clean the voltage is going into the reference inputs of the SoC, and this factor is governed by PCB layout. I don't know what the real PCB layout of the SABAJ looks like, but from the small snippets,

On a more obvious note, the Sabaj DA3 seems to be thicker, less wide, and less long than the thinner, wider, and longer SMSL IQ. Overall, IMO, the SMSL is a little better looking. The prices are also different: a quick search on Taobao shows the SMSL is more expensive at ¥750.00 (~$114), while the Sabaj is substantially cheaper at ¥ 549.99 (~$84). Keep in mind that the Taobao prices for the Sabaj DA2 (¥ 368, ~$56) are also cheaper than those of the SMSL iDEA (¥ 468, ~$71).

Dec 30, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #306 of 544
Then again, despite the numerical differences, the THD and DNR plots look identical on superimposition.

Also, I didn't realize the Sabaj DA3 could do selectable audio filters (normal vs. minimum phase). The SMSL IQ likely does the same.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #307 of 544
I bought an iDEA a couple weeks ago and have been impressed by its value. Compared to other SABRE9018Q2C-based USB DAC/amps (i.e. NextDrive Spectra, Cozoy TAKT Pro), it's the least expensive (discounting the near-identical Sabaj DA2), and seems to perform up to par.

I just noticed that SMSL have a dual-mono version of the iDEA, called the IQ, that's only visible on the Simplified Chinese version of its website: http://www.smsl-audio.com/cn/productshow.asp?id=142

Because it uses a balanced topology, the IQ now offers balanced output that accompanies improved power delivery (55 mW vs 35 mW into 32 ohms on unbalanced outputs), lower THD+N, and thus improved SNR & DNR.

The Silicon Labs multiclock generator for MCLK is now replaced by two discrete TXCOs for 44.1 and 48 kHz multiples. Perhaps it'll be a little better performing in terms of jitter reduction, but I don't know if the change will be noticeably audible.

Just as a word of note, while the SMSL iDEA and the Sabaj DA2 seem to be identical in terms of PCB layout and parts usage, the Sabaj analog to the SMSL IQ seems to be slightly different.

This is the Sabaj DA3: http://www.sabaj.com.cn/productshow.asp?id=74

Not only are the TCXOs used of a different brand, the PCB layout is slightly different. The stated specifications are ever so slightly different as well; the Sabaj has a measured DNR of 125.219 dB, while the SMSL has a measured DNR of 125.559 dB. The Sabaj has a specified power of 56 mW into 32 ohms, while the SMSL, as stated previously has a power of 55 mW. Thus, the stated THD+N for the Sabaj is slightly higher at 0.00038% compared to the SMSL's 0.00033%. Now, these are tiny, tiny differences that ultimately are indiscernible to the human ear, but the differences do suggest a slightly different parts bill. Because the SABRE9018Q2C is an SoC, there's not much tweaking to be done in terms of the sound. Both devices, like the iDEA/DA2 before them, will likely implement a bog-standard symmetric sinc filter. The only differences governing the end result for sound will be determined by how clean the voltage is going into the reference inputs of the SoC, and this factor is governed by PCB layout. I don't know what the real PCB layout of the SABAJ looks like, but from the small snippets,

On a more obvious note, the Sabaj DA3 seems to be thicker, less wide, and less long than the thinner, wider, and longer SMSL IQ. Overall, IMO, the SMSL is a little better looking. The prices are also different: a quick search on Taobao shows the SMSL is more expensive at ¥750.00 (~$114), while the Sabaj is substantially cheaper at ¥ 549.99 (~$84). Keep in mind that the Taobao prices for the Sabaj DA2 (¥ 368, ~$56) are also cheaper than those of the SMSL iDEA (¥ 468, ~$71).
Thanks for heads up, very interesting. It's also visible on english version: http://www.smsl-audio.com/productshow.asp?id=142
Aliexpress has it already: https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20171230042216&SearchText=smsl+iq

Dec 30, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #308 of 544
the Sabaj DA3 seems to be thicker, less wide, and less long than the thinner, wider, and longer SMSL IQ. Overall, IMO, the SMSL is a little better looking.

Very good information, thanks. The DA3 has been on the market here for a while. It's $99.99 at Amazon and Newegg. I see that the link to the IQ USB audio driver downloads a zip file of the XMOS driver, version 4.38. The driver linked to on the IDEA page is still version 4.11.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #309 of 544
Thanks for heads up, very interesting. It's also visible on english version: http://www.smsl-audio.com/productshow.asp?id=142
Aliexpress has it already: https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20171230042216&SearchText=smsl+iq

Very good information, thanks. The DA3 has been on the market here for a while. It's $99.99 at Amazon and Newegg. I see that the link to the IQ USB audio driver downloads a zip file of the XMOS driver, version 4.38. The driver linked to on the IDEA page is still version 4.11.

Thanks for the info. I've been away from all this stuff for a while, so I was a bit jumbled with my information.

Dec 31, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #310 of 544
I'm starting to agree with you guys about the built quality of these dac/amps. Something went very wrong with my X4. While I was chatting on discord yesterday I started to get bombarded with occasional loud hissing, like as if somebody kept turning on white noise out of nowhere. Now this morning when I re-booted my computer I heard an intense long and loud buzzing sound through my headphones that nearly deafened me and it kept coming back in bursts every couple of seconds during the boot process.

Jan 1, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #311 of 544
Over six months in and I'm still using it. It's permanently attached to the front USB port on my computer and my headphones or speakers always go in it and I never think about it. I've used this more than any external DAC I've owned. :ok_hand:

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #312 of 544
I got myself a Sabaj DA1 , works great except my phone insists on reverse charging it, setting it to midi doesn't appear to stick in terms of power draw, still wats up about 100mW. Does anyone know if there is a way to make it draw less power?

Jan 3, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #314 of 544
I have an SMSL idea and Chord Mojo coming in the next 2 weeks. I don't care much about features, I just need a hiss-free or low hiss device with low output impedance for IEM's( Andromeda, CA Harmony 8.2).
They both seem to tick the boxes. One for 6x the price though.

Jan 3, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #315 of 544
I have an SMSL idea and Chord Mojo coming in the next 2 weeks. I don't care much about features, I just need a hiss-free or low hiss device with low output impedance for IEM's( Andromeda, CA Harmony 8.2).
They both seem to tick the boxes. One for 6x the price though.

Would like to hear your impressions of the Mojo vs the iDEA with your Andromeda when you have a chance.

Never used the Mojo, but was using the iDEA with the Andros for several weeks. It was a hiss-free combo that sounded great (IMO).
Andros certainly live up to their "bloody sensitive" reputation - 5/6 clicks (out of 20) on the iDEA's volume was plenty loud.
For comparison, my FLC8S are in the 9-10 click range for similar volume...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back