SMSL iDEA portable dac+amp

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by Matias, May 27, 2017.

1. blse59
    How are these with driving 600 ohm cans? I specifically have the DT-990 in mind.

2. DjBobby
    With 600 ohm you need more voltage. iDea has no chance to deliver it.

3. Ynot1
    It depends, Fiio Q1 MK Ii in balance mode sounds really good to me. And 11.11 prolly will not put something so new on sale. I have to caution going balance, it could mean different things to different people. For me I'm having trouble because i'm trying to convert most of my earphones and headphones to balance. If only money grew on trees I could just buy balance from the get go.

PlantsmanTX likes this.
  4. PlantsmanTX
    I see that Shenzhen Audio is selling the iDEA through Amazon for $73- down from $85- and it's "fulfilled by Amazon", so you won't have to wait weeks for it.

5. MD Alimur Rahman
    just got my Da2 and running tidal HIFI showing only blue light on the dac..i thought it would be pink (indicating hi resolution PCM playback)..
    Can anyone please explain how this will work..is it suppose to lit blue or pink??using Tidal HIFI???

6. Matias
    Tidal is lossless CD quality which is 16 bit 44kHz, which is the blue color.
    High res PCM is pink, DSD is red. So Tidal blue is fine.

MD Alimur Rahman and PlantsmanTX like this.
  7. MD Alimur Rahman
    Thanks for the info..my da2 is getting hot after playing short time..even simple pcm files..its it normal? please confirm..

8. Matias
    Yes it gets quite warm but not hot to the touch. Normal.

MD Alimur Rahman likes this.
  9. MD Alimur Rahman
    Yes warm.. It can be touched.. Thanks.

10. PlantsmanTX
    Has anyone else experienced clicks, skips, or other glitches with this DAC? I had it connected to my Windows 10 desktop computer, and suddenly ran into frequent clicks, skips, and bits of static. I Googled, and it seems that this isn't a rare problem with DACs connected to computer devices. I read recommendations that include going into the device manager, setting it to show hidden devices, and deleting older occurrences of the Idea device, and making sure the Idea isn't sharing a usb port with something else. I tried those things, but they didn't work.

I tried it on an Android tablet with USB Audio Player Pro, and ran into the same glitches, plus a new one- the sound would cut out completely for several seconds, then five seconds or so of the music that was playing just before the sound cut out would be replayed. Now I have it connected to a Windows 8 laptop, and over about three hours or so of listening, I've heard one glitch, and one other sound I'm not sure wasn't in the recording.Has anyone else run into this, or read/heard about it? I want to believe it's a software problem on the part of the computer devices- drivers, or whatever- but I can't definitively pin it down as one.

11. Rocketval
    I've just built an home-made cable to charge my smartphone and the smsl x4 with an external battery pack.
    Both the x4 and my android smartphone are gonna recharging BUT my device doesn't recognize the x4.
    This is the scheme, I'll appreciate any suggestion:

[​IMG]

EDIT: Just found a way https://forum . xda-developers . com/showthread.php?t=1822653

EDIT 2: I'll try this " Acasis H027 "

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 5:56 AM
  12. blse59
    Is the LED really supposed to change color? I have the iDEA and I don't notice this on mine when playing high res files. I have 24-bit 192 khz files I'm playing through WASAPI, the iDEA driver I installed shows it's outputting 192 khz, and the LED color stays blue.

13. PlantsmanTX
    The literature says it turns purple when playing PCM at 358.2kHz and above, and red when playing DSD.

blse59 likes this.
  14. Thor71
    Hi Guys,
    It's now about 2 months that I'm using this DAC with my Iphone 6s paired with Noble X, I'm using it mostly with Spotify&Tidal.
    Well, maybe I'm a newbie but I trust my ears and the difference with or without this DAC is near to zero.....yes SQ is good but not so much difference.
    I mean, there's no WOW effect......maybe should I have to try a Mojo?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017 at 3:50 AM
  15. PlantsmanTX
    I'm a newbie too, and not very knowledgeable, but on general principal, for lack of a better term, if the Idea doesn't give you the wow factor you're looking for, then sure- try the Mojo, or something else.