Smooth closed backs for ~600$
May 19, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 26
I would also recommend the emu teak, or possibly the ath wp-900.

May 20, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #8 of 26
I have been eyeing the LSA hp 2 ultras. Are they good for what I’m looking for? Also how would they be if I ran it with a tube amp?
HP-2 aren't "smooth" I'd say. Their low-end is amazing though, combined with quite sparkly highs. One might say V shaped.
The other suggestions have a similar frequency response.

May 20, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #9 of 26
DCA Aeon Flow Closed X or RTs. I think you are going to need something with a little more current than the Zen however. Not knocking the Zen it is a very nice unit, the AFC X or RTs just need a good amount of current to open up and sound their best. You could always use the Zen until you get something with a little more current (doesn't have to be elaborate something like the Little Dot 1+ or Schiit Magni 3+ will more than do the job) and still use the Zen as your dac when you get a more powerful amp.

May 20, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #11 of 26
DCA Aeon Flow Closed X or RTs. I think you are going to need something with a little more current than the Zen however. Not knocking the Zen it is a very nice unit, the AFC X or RTs just need a good amount of current to open up and sound their best. You could always use the Zen until you get something with a little more current (doesn't have to be elaborate something like the Little Dot 1+ or Schiit Magni 3+ will more than do the job) and still use the Zen as your dac when you get a more powerful amp.
What about the aeon noires? I heard they’re pretty good.

May 20, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #12 of 26
Yes the Aeon 2s or Noires would definitely be worth looking at. I believe both are within or very close to your $800 budget. If you pick them up used even better. I was just mentioning the AFC X and RTs because they met your original $600 budget. I'm not exactly sure how the AFC X/RTs compare to either the AFC 2 or Noire so that would be worth checking out.

May 20, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #13 of 26
Have you tried em on a tube amp?
Only have access to a hybrid, sorry.
I do have some experience with the aeon 2 noire. Love their sound! Sent them back after a day. My head is apparently enormous and the aeons cannot be adjusted. The hp-2's can be bent as you see fit. From memory I believe that the aeon 2 noire's are a bit more neutral but it's close. Both are excellent in their own regards. For me comfort was the deal-breaker.

May 20, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #14 of 26
Only have access to a hybrid, sorry.
I do have some experience with the aeon 2 noire. Love their sound! Sent them back after a day. My head is apparently enormous and the aeons cannot be adjusted. The hp-2's can be bent as you see fit. From memory I believe that the aeon 2 noire's are a bit more neutral but it's close. Both are excellent in their own regards. For me comfort was the deal-breaker.
Just out of curiosity did you try raising the suspension strap hangers? I know on the AFO Xs you can slide the hangers up and down on the nitinol bands to change the ear cup height. Or was it a width issue? Again just curious because they are the most comfortable can I have by a very big margin.

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #15 of 26
Just out of curiosity did you try raising the suspension strap hangers? I know on the AFO Xs you can slide the hangers up and down on the nitinol bands to change the ear cup height. Or was it a width issue? Again just curious because they are the most comfortable can I have by a very big margin.
Width issue, got a headache from the side pressure after a few hours of use.
Their bigger brother (ether c flow) fitter way better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back