Smokin' Buds vs JVC Gumy
May 9, 2009 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

yourstruly

100+ Head-Fier
I have no choice. My sony's stopped working today, and I only have a few days before I get out of school. I'm going to buy a pair of Yuin PK3's as soon as I get out of Boston, these just need to last me through finals.

These are the only two earbuds my school's bookstore sells. Which is the lesser of the two evils? I have a Fiio E3 which should help a little bit.

May 9, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 15
The gummies are absolutely crap, I've had them once, absolutely zero bass. However, they are 16 ohm which means I can use the Fiio which should help the bass somewhat, not sure how they'll sound though.

I'm more curious about the smokin' buds, are they seriously that bad? They really have to be the bottom of the barrel if they're worse than the gumy's.

May 9, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #4 of 15
Apparently, Skullcandys portable offerings are actually better than their full size stuff. Keeping in mind this is Skullcandy, take that as you will.

May 9, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 15
I'd get the Smokin buds. JVC gumy phones are crap. They're about the same as ibuds(open). At least the Smokin offer some isolation and are much more comfortable since they are in ear.

May 9, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #9 of 15
avoid the smokin buds & get the even cheaper ink'd buds. They should cost less than 20 bones, and have a tad more clarity than the smokin buds. Smokin buds suck imho, whereas the ink'd buds are quite good for the price.

May 9, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #10 of 15
The OP need to be more specific to which Gumy we are talking about here (there are several generation of Gumy now). If it is JVC HA-F130, then I will take it over Smokin' Bud any day of the week.

May 9, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The OP need to be more specific to which Gumy we are talking about here (there are several generation of Gumy now). If it is JVC HA-F130, then I will take it over Smokin' Bud any day of the week.

True true i have used f130 smooth mids and good treble makes it worth the price even more.

May 9, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #12 of 15
I'm not sure what generation Gumy's they are, I'm assuming they're the newest ones.

Isolation isn't a factor here, and neither is comfort. I've used the Gumy's before and I know how they feel. They're not great but I don't have an issue with them.

I'm going to the bookstore now, if they're the 130's, I'll get the Gumy's, if not, Skullcandy. Thanks for the feedback.

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #14 of 15
Yes unfortunately the HA-F140 are not as good as the others because they are a little bigger and they don't sound AS good IMO but they are definitely better than any skull candy earbuds. i don't quite know what it is about those SkullCandy Earbuds but they sound like all treble and nothing else.. they get louder, but loud isn't always better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back