Smashing Pumpkins Forgotten Jewels
Oct 8, 2002 at 2:12 PM Post #16 of 46
Damnit guys. Now I'm going to have to get that limited edition greatest hits as well. I also need to track down my copy of adore.

After so many years, i still love melon collie. It was my first smashing pumpkins album, and it is by far one of the greatest rock albums ever.

Oct 8, 2002 at 3:54 PM Post #17 of 46
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...item=910971931

i bet it will be hard to find any retail stores that still carry the limited edition with the bonus cd. keep in mind, if you have all their albums the greatest hits cd isn't very good. you HAVE to get the limited edition or you won't really be getting too much (three unreleased songs, instead of the bonus version with around sixteen extras, b-sides, and unreleased stuff).

i suggest searching on ebay for: "smashing pumpkins" + hits. that's what i did to find the above link.

and aye, machina is cool. machina 2 is cool too. i really like anything billy-related, the guy is just pure talent.

shattering fast i'm glass i'm glass..

Oct 8, 2002 at 6:24 PM Post #18 of 46
Grinch makes a good point -- if you have all their albums, there are only two new songs on the standard version. It's the 2nd CD that makes it worth it.

(Although one of my favorite SP songs, "Eye," doesn't seem to be on any of the albums I have, and is on the 1st CD ?)

The 2nd CD is actually pretty funny -- the label print makes it look like a blank CD that someone burned and then wrote the title on it with a Sharpie
wink.gif

Oct 8, 2002 at 6:30 PM Post #19 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
and aye, machina is cool. machina 2 is cool too. i really like anything billy-related, the guy is just pure talent.

shattering fast i'm glass i'm glass..

Which M2 do you have? I have the vinyl sourced one.

"Friends & Enemies of modern music"

How lovely
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2002 at 6:36 PM Post #20 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
(Although one of my favorite SP songs, "Eye," doesn't seem to be on any of the albums I have, and is on the 1st CD ?)

"Eye" can be found on the Lost Highway Soundtrack.

Another great song is "the end is the beginning of the end" which can be found on the Music From and Inspired By The Batman And Robin Motion Picture.

Go here for all your bootleg info needs and song catalog needs (including lyrics!): www.spfc.org

Any of you own "The Aereoplane flies high" singles boxset?

DA, it's a shame that more of you don't recognize what a great album "Adore" is.
frown.gif

Oct 8, 2002 at 6:52 PM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
"Eye" can be found on the Lost Highway Soundtrack.

Ah, cool, thanks.

Quote:

Yep
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2002 at 7:11 PM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Ah, cool, thanks.

Yep
biggrin.gif

Sweet isn't it? You know their supposed to release a live DVD at the end of this year? Can't wait for that
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2002 at 7:46 PM Post #23 of 46
I was able to find used version of "greatest hits limited edition" so I will get the bonus CD soon. Actually saved money by finding out about it a year later...................
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 8, 2002 at 9:48 PM Post #24 of 46
Quote:

Which M2 do you have? I have the vinyl sourced one.
"Friends & Enemies of modern music"

i'm not really sure. i have the mp3 released by KSi (i think). it has scans of the vinyl and covers and stuff. me and carlo were talking about it last night though, and he seems to think that there are two versions: vinyl and digital (mp3). i was only aware of the 50 vinyl pressings they gave to friends of the band members, so i really don't know. sounds decent though. and yes, the title is awesome. i have their storytellers show somewhere on mp3 as well.
biggrin.gif

yeah, adore rules. i remember buying it the day it came out and i really like it. annie dog is one of my favorites from that one.

Oct 8, 2002 at 10:05 PM Post #25 of 46
Hey Grinch, i have the Vinyl>SHN>Wav version of M2, it sounds great, you can tell its from vinyl because you hear some surface noise and an occasional click/pop. The two versions that i'm aware of are Vinyl and FM broadcast, Mp3's are just sampled from one of those.

As for the Storytellers show, yeah that recording is amazing, very well done for a stealth taping. I also have the SHN>Wav version of Storytellers.

Oct 9, 2002 at 1:01 AM Post #26 of 46
Allright, I'll give the second disc on the greatest hits another spin.
rolleyes.gif
Still, considering they already had an entire CD of out-takes ("Pisces" something or other), doesn't that make this CD the re-scraping of the first bottom-of-the barrel scrapings?

So many bands that I like are releasing Best Ofs lately and they all seem to have second discs of 12" re-mixes (puh-leez
rolleyes.gif
), or left-overs. Since these best ofs are often the only way to get re-masters, I buy them, but they're often too short on essential album tracks. Then you pay for the second disc of un-essential filler not good enough for the proper albums.

Smashing Pumpkins truly deserve a full-fledged 2CD set of their truly best material.

Also, whose a worse singer, Robert Smith of the Cure or Billy Corgan?
evil_smiley.gif

Mark

Oct 9, 2002 at 6:37 AM Post #27 of 46
glock,
Quote:

yeah, but haven't been in the mood for any pumpkins stuff lately... not sure why but i just can't connect with it anymore.

grinch,

i think there may be a misunderstanding about our last conversation
wink.gif
my impression is that the machina 2 album was meant to be available to everyone, the vinyl issue was a bonus for the band's loyal (as opposed to the band making an album specifically for an ultra limited run on vinyl, then someone transfering it to mp3 for coolness' sake). as far as i know the web stuff is just all the tracks collected (as opposed to the 2 ep set or whatever).

mark,

robert smith.

word,
carlo.

Oct 9, 2002 at 6:46 AM Post #28 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by carlo
glock,

yeah, but haven't been in the mood for any pumpkins stuff lately... not sure why but i just can't connect with it anymore.

Yo! Shame on you! No booze for one week to sober up and acknowledge pumpkins greatness
very_evil_smiley.gif

On a separate note, the LP pressing of Adore is only available in mono...wutupwitdat?

confused.gif

Sounds weird...really weird.

Oct 9, 2002 at 6:47 AM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Hells, yes. Cool packaging. Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
i bet it will be hard to find any retail stores that still carry the limited edition with the bonus cd.

I've seen it. Quote:

Originally posted by markl

Too close to call. I think Billy Corgan, only because of "Landslide". I can't think of a correspondingly terrible vocal performance from Robert Smith. I've kind of gotten used to his plaintive way of singing.

Oct 9, 2002 at 2:51 PM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Allright, I'll give the second disc on the greatest hits another spin.
rolleyes.gif
Still, considering they already had an entire CD of out-takes ("Pisces" something or other), doesn't that make this CD the re-scraping of the first bottom-of-the barrel scrapings?

the smashing pumpkins are known for recording way too many songs for their albums. each album they came out with has an average of a half dozen b-sides come out soon after on imports and singles. pisces iscariot was released after siamese dream, which means that they released a full album of b-sides after only having two albums out. this is not bottom-of-the-barrel stuff released by old cronies trying to put their kids through college, it was raw material and other unreleased stuff that was not available to be put on the album. i have a sneaking suspicion that virgin really screwed with them for their entire career when you take a look at the number of b-sides they had.

Quote:

So many bands that I like are releasing Best Ofs lately and they all seem to have second discs of 12" re-mixes (puh-leez
rolleyes.gif
), or left-overs. Since these best ofs are often the only way to get re-masters, I buy them, but they're often too short on essential album tracks. Then you pay for the second disc of un-essential filler not good enough for the proper albums.

i don't see how getting unreleased material from bands that are dead and gone can be intrinsically bad. when i am a huge fan of a band, and they break up, i will gladly buy any live/unreleased material that i can find. many of the tracks that you so call "leftovers" aren't necessarily bad, they just weren't right for the album or were poorly recorded. this however DOES NOT make the music poor.

i mean, songs evolve and change over the years as people play them. there are radiohead songs that have been played on tour for years and years and still haven't been on any albums. read about them and they usually reply something about how "the song isn't ready yet." tool's live version of "pu****" is another one of my favorite examples of this.

Quote:

Smashing Pumpkins truly deserve a full-fledged 2CD set of their truly best material.

blah. they need a box set of all their albums.

Quote:

evil_smiley.gif

in the words of bill hicks, "keeeel yourself."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back