Smart Phones
Feb 17, 2006 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

max-9

100+ Head-Fier
Looking at the treo 650 or 700 , or maybe the samsung .
Cnet gives the treos a great review , but the users seem to have a different opinion.
Have any personal experience or advice ?
Thanx

Feb 18, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 19
do you want a treo? are you bent on treo's only? check out the blackberry 8700c nice smart phone there...you do know that the new treo 700w with microsoft 5.0 is out now? what features are you looking for or want? who's your carrier (if you have one)?

Feb 18, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 19
the blackberry could be DOA soon, what with RIM losing that big patent lawsuit.

Feb 18, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 19
Im thinking treos because , removable sd card (full size 2gb) , camera , screen resolution , removable battery , possibly able to use palm wifi card , long battery talk / standby.
Treos work with tom tom gps navigator (great gps software). The 700 can work with media center recordings(tv movies ect). The email and phone reception is also important (of coarse).
Was thinking verizon or cingular.
It gets more confusing the more I look.

Feb 18, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #5 of 19
max-9: ahh i c...if you haven't already, i think you would be better suited in going to the following places http://www.howardforums.com and http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forum they've got a lot of good information on those two boards and may help you dismantle some of that confusion and perhaps frustation in choosing the best fit

VicAjax: i've been meaning to ask about that blackberry situation...without getting all legal and technical with the terms, what exactly does that say for someone (like myself) who owns a blackberry and let's say it doesn't go so well, what will i be losing from the blackberry exactly? and doa (can't say that i heard that one yet)?

Feb 18, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by antiant
VicAjax: i've been meaning to ask about that blackberry situation...without getting all legal and technical with the terms, what exactly does that say for someone (like myself) who owns a blackberry and let's say it doesn't go so well, what will i be losing from the blackberry exactly? and doa (can't say that i heard that one yet)?

well, NTP -- the holder of the patent -- and RIM are apparently still open to a possible settlement if they can come to terms.

meantime, the next hearing on NTP's request for RIM to halt service is February 24... i don't know if that's a do-or-die hearing, though.

and RIM says it also has a contingency workaround in case the settlement doesn't happen... but it'll probably be significantly compromised.

that's really all i know.

Feb 18, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #7 of 19
Blackberry is fairly pointless unless your company / whatever runs a Blackberry email server. Treos, on the other hand, are perfectly capable of coping with normal email standards that have been around for donkey's years - I run an IMAP mailserver on my desktop PC and the Chatteremail mail client on my Treo, does everything the whole proprietary, monthly-charge Blackberry system does for no money besides the cost of registering Chatteremail.

OTOH, I keep finding that I don't _use_ it that much - my email can really wait till I get home. Unless you're 100% sure you really NEED a smartphone, you may find yourself in my position a year down the line - looking at a nice, small featurephone with a great camera, like the K750 / W800i, and wondering why you didn't get one of those in the first place.

Feb 18, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 19
Here's mine:

Edwood_PPC6700_08HF.jpg

PPC-6700

Gotta love the unlimited internet access.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Ed

Feb 19, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #10 of 19
http://www.seeo2.com/product/XdaAtom...ProductInfo.vm

xdaatomphone4av.jpg

I picked one of these up about a month ago. This is my first ever pda phone, so there's been some definite learning curve. I gotta say, I love this thing...I've read some negative reviews on some forums about this particular model, but the thing has done everything I've asked of it so far. No complaints.

Peace,

Graz

Feb 19, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
Blackberry is fairly pointless unless your company / whatever runs a Blackberry email server.

not necessairly...i guess i'm one of those rarities who's not in the "business" category and use it more as "play" it also depends again on what you want or whether or not you use a lot of email etc, but apparently from what max-9 is saying, yes the blackberry would not be a good fit

Feb 19, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #13 of 19
Are you looking for a device that is a phone first or a PDA first? A smartphones is supposed to be a device that is first and foremost a phone with PDA functionality thrown in and the device can be operated one handed. A PDA phone is a PDA first with phone functionality added in and many can only be used on a limited basis with one hand since they make use of a touch screen. The BlackBerry devices can be used one handed and have no touch screen but phone functionality is added in and not the main purpose of the devices.

I prefer smartphones since they are primarily phones with extra functionality. I need something practical to carry around everywhere with me that I can use with only one hand. Right now I use a T-Mobile SDA and it is my third Windows Mobile Smartphone device. It is the size of a regular phone and for the purpose of making phone calls it works the same. But I also have Pocket Internet Explorer, a full POP3 email client, and WiFi, among others, on here. Not to mention that this phone has the best reception of any GSM phone I have ever used. I'm actually typing this post on it, too.

Feb 19, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #14 of 19
ed: most treo crashes (and palm products in general) are caused by dodgy third-party software - PalmOS is a very primitive operating system with no memory protection, so a bad app can easily bring down the whole system over and over. My Treo (600) crashes a lot with some third party apps installed, but with none or with only ones I know are OK, it never crashes (seems to switch itself to wireless mode off at the least provocation, though, which is irritating).

Feb 19, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
ed: most treo crashes (and palm products in general) are caused by dodgy third-party software - PalmOS is a very primitive operating system with no memory protection, so a bad app can easily bring down the whole system over and over. My Treo (600) crashes a lot with some third party apps installed, but with none or with only ones I know are OK, it never crashes (seems to switch itself to wireless mode off at the least provocation, though, which is irritating).

Yeah, same thing with Pocket PC's.

I've kept my programs to a bare minimum, and do backups and registry backups before every step.

I'll have to check out my Dad's Treo 650 to see what he installed, but knowing him, he probably didn't really install a lot of programs. But it only takes one to ruin everything.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back