Smallish bookshelf (no stands) vs ProMedia
Aug 18, 2017 at 10:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JustJohn

New Head-Fier
Background info if you care:
I have been using a pair of Klipsch B-2 bookshelf speakers with a Topping amp/DAC, but moved those to the TV where I think they are better suited. They are a little too big for my desk and I felt like the sound was going past me a bit.

Main question:
What is going to give me a better listening experience at my desk, a pair of smallish bookshelf speakers (probably Swan D1010-IV) without stands or the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1?

Relevant details:
Smallish carpeted room, use is going to be gaming/music mix, varied taste, rock and acoustic leaning.
I'm aware of the fundamental differences between a 2.0 and 2.1. I don't need the bass but do appreciate it.
The reason I mentioned no stands is that I don't like them and this guy says the Swans need them.
Budget is $40-130, basically looking for cheapest that sounds decent.
I can get D10 or ProMedia for ~$100 shipped right now.

Other thoughts:
If there's anything out there that's a little cheaper without loosing much sound quality I'd be interested in that too.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #2 of 8
Buy Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, used off eBay.
Sometimes Bestbuy has them on sale around $99.

Aug 19, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 8
The reason I mentioned no stands is that I don't like them and this guy says the Swans need them.

That's because the height of the speakers will make for enough of a distance variance between your ears and the tweeters vs your ears and the midwoofers, so you're going to hear them out of sync. Vertical stands of course aren't the only solution - some stands are basically angled platforms with a stop at the rear (Audioengine sells these to fit the A5 and A2; you can buy similar stands from pro audio stores that will just have the speakers on top) or some speakers have an angled front baffle, moving the tweeter backward but at that height effectively reduces the variance.

No stands
Desktop_01.png

On stands
Desktop_02.png

Angled platforms
Desktop_03.png

Angled front baffle speakers
Desktop_04.png

The Klipsch Promedia has the angled stands built in.
41oRTcOyd6L.jpg

If you really have a searing hatred of speaker stands of any kind like it's the damned Federal Govment tellin ya what ta do that it's violatin yer rights enough to exercise yer constitutional rights to secede, you can just look for a speaker that has angled front baffles, but I'm not sure if there are any within that budget apart from the Edifier R19U and E10BT. Both use smaller drivers than the HiVi but the E10BT does have multiple drivers including bass drivers paired with a passive radiator on each side.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #5 of 8
Cool. From the review I linked it seemed like actual height was key. I appreciate the scientific explanation.

Wedges are less offending on all three fronts (space, stability, aesthetics) so I would consider those.

Aug 19, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 8
So you think they will sound better than $100 bookshelf speakers? Is it because I don't intend to put them on stands, or are you just saying the ProMedia is a safe choice?
The Klipsch Promedia 2.1 are a safe choice, so if you buy them used off eBay (for under $100) your getting a good value.

Aug 24, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #8 of 8
I'd be leery of the ProMedia series due to their notoriously unreliable amplifiers (you can go read about this if you don't believe me). And before "well they fixed it" - they've been "fixing it" for ten years, and still folks complain about them popping, blowing up, etc. I'm also not a fan of those horns...

Lots of PC desktop speakers have angled enclosures/stands/etc specifically for the reason @ProtegeManiac pointed out (there's also other design choices to achieve time alignment, like MTM or single-driver systems), and the ProMedia have competition from other manufacturers like Logitech, Creative, Corsair, Edifier, Altec Lansing, and even Bose (although the Bose speakers will probably over-run your budget). Even Cyber Acoustics' speakers are tilted, if you wanted a more budget option.

Some other sets to think about (in no particular order):
- Logitech Z623
- Altec Lansing V4621
- Creative Kratos S3
- Cyber Acoustics CA-3602

I think Logitech and Klipsch are the only two remaining manufacturers that go in for THX Multimedia these days, if that matters to you. If so, I'd probably go for Logitech and avoid the question of amplifier reliability.

And no, none of these are going to be "audiophile ultra high fidelity" but that doesn't mean they aren't listenable or suitable for their intended goal: better than basic sound for your PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back