Smallest TOTL DAP?
Mar 27, 2018 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ceeloChamp

500+ Head-Fier
Hey All,

I have an Ibasso DX200, I love it. The different amps make a huge difference, the UI is a bit slow, but it has WiFi and I can use Tidal on it.

The only reason I don't have a Sony WM1Z is that it doesn't have WiFi which makes it unusable for me, sadly.

What is the smallest, WiFi enabled high-end DAP...preferably one that has a 2.5mm Balanced, but I could deal with just having a 3.5mm

Mar 27, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 16
Smallest in form factor ? I would say Opus 2 ATM. I am not sure if Opus will plan to release any newer flagship by year end, which I think they may. Keep in mind though, the larger form factor is not only for screen, it is more likely for more components. Sizes really does matter.

Mar 27, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 16
Yes I understand the bigger the more DACS, ram, etc...but DAPs get points for maximum portability. I hope they are releasing a new flagship, they just refreshed the #1, hopefully the #2 is next! Number ones usually happen around the same time as number 2s so we’ll see

Mar 27, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #4 of 16
IDK any super high end options that combine smaller form factor AND wifi- most seem to be full Android in fat phone shape- There are a few non-android mid/budget daps that have these features though- Onkyo Rubato/DP-S1 (also the similar Pioneer dap) and the recently announced Hiby R3 both feature 2.5mm bal and are supposed to support Tidal via WiFi. I think AK70II might also?

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #5 of 16
Only Android and IOS are the largest market with streaming services. Apple is not making anything worth while, so that leaves all android. Walkman have their streaming, but very little market and no YouTube or other mainstream services

Mar 27, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #6 of 16
You should look into Shanling M3S. That's the smallest good sounding DAP I'ved used and reasonably priced per performance. It's sized like a thicker version of ipod nano 1st gen(which is quite small compared to other players out there). Build quality is nice, and ui is quite functional and responsive with lots of options. It has 2.5 and 3.5mm and also functions as a usb DAC with AKM chip utilization.

What is going for it is the very small size, with all the above functionalities.

Only things it's missing is, touchscreen and no Tidal.

Soon, they will release a tiny player M0 with a touchscreen. Probably tinier than the most recent ipod nano gen. I'm really digging Shanling.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #7 of 16
You should look into Shanling M3S. That's the smallest good sounding DAP I'ved used and reasonably priced per performance. It's sized like a thicker version of ipod nano 1st gen(which is quite small compared to other players out there). Build quality is nice, and ui is quite functional and responsive with lots of options. It has 2.5 and 3.5mm and also functions as a usb DAC with AKM chip utilization.

What is going for it is the very small size, with all the above functionalities.

Only things it's missing is, touchscreen and no Tidal.

Soon, they will release a tiny player M0 with a touchscreen. Probably tinier than the most recent ipod nano gen. I'm really digging Shanling.

That sounds so promising, not having tidal is a huge blow though, can you not side load it on?

I mean sound quality matters a lot more than size, but it’s even hard to find a TOTL player with:
-WiFi
-tidal
-2.5 connector

Mar 28, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #9 of 16
If only!

If only Sony just included WiFi in their DAPs we wouldn't even have to have this conversation

Mar 28, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #11 of 16
Yeah, but it's not as good as their other DAPs...like WM1Z or even ZX300

Mar 28, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #13 of 16
That's true, but I'm now thinking I can't have small and WiFi, Tidal, and TOTL sound :frowning2:

Mar 30, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #14 of 16
That's true, but I'm now thinking I can't have small and WiFi, Tidal, and TOTL sound :frowning2:

Maybe good news for you and everyone that insists on spending half a year's rent on DAP: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-all-new-lotoo-paw-gold-touch-launching-tomorrow.875802/
The old Paw Gold was a little chunky looking but AFAIK on the smaller side of high priced daps.

(also I have seen a number of people who prefer ZX2 to the newer walkmen, so if you don't need gobs of power it might still be good option, still a bit large though IMO)

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #15 of 16
Hell yeah! Definitely not small, but I have to come off that there is no getting small and HiFi....expensive, but still cheaper than that damn Sony WM1Z

Users who are viewing this thread

Back