Smallest portable HP amp?
Jul 31, 2002 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Magicthyse

Better to look good than to sound good!
I think I asked this of one of the guys here who builds portable amps but didn't get a reply.

I took the measurements of the Corda and the TAH amps, and drew them out. They're too big - especially when I'm with a Minidisc.

Is there an amp out there, either being planned or actually built, which is as small as, or smaller than a Minidisc unit and still powers something like a Beyer 770?

Jul 31, 2002 at 4:27 PM Post #2 of 25
Something like a CHA47 or a CMOY would fit into an Altoids tin, which is about the size of a MD player..

Jul 31, 2002 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 25
Altoids tin? A little ghetto for moi...
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2002 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 25
But one thing I am curious about is that all of these amps look, well, home-made. Isn't there a 'big' company doing one, proper aluminum / magnesium/etc case, rechargeable batteries and all?

Jul 31, 2002 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
But one thing I am curious about is that all of these amps look, well, home-made. Isn't there a 'big' company doing one, proper aluminum / magnesium/etc case, rechargeable batteries and all?

it's obvious that looks are quite important to you, since you like the v700dj.. this only makes me laugh more when you call the altoids amp too "ghetto" for you.

as far as i understand, there is no "bigger" company in the headphone amp industry than headroom and they're pretty small. there are plenty of aluminum cases out there for diy amps, although i have no idea about the size of them.

there is always rechargable batteries, although i'm pretty sure to use something like sony's rechargable gumsticks (from a cd player, for example) takes some funky circuitry. the altoids amp is a good start and certainly cheap. i think it would be a good idea to get one of those, with perhaps instead of a mini-jack on it, part of an interconnect that runs about 3" outside of the amp. this way you could velcro the md player on top of the amp and connect it very easily. then just put your headphones into the altoids amp, turn it on and listen away. sounds like a damn good idea to me.. maybe i'll do it.

or there are some smaller cases around, depends on how small you want it though.. i don't think you'll find anything too much smaller than the airhead though.. but this looks kinda nice:

kemhagen1.gif

notice the *good* headphones in the picture?
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2002 at 9:29 PM Post #7 of 25
I could be wrong, but isn't the Porta Corda a tad smaller than the Airhead? You would also get that "professional" look that you want. The front panel is printed nicely, but I do not think it is aluminum.

Jul 31, 2002 at 9:36 PM Post #8 of 25
Hammond makes some nice-looking aluminum enclosures. Here's a pic of a 1455 series box:
1455v1B.jpg

The smallest size they have is approx. 3x2x1 inch, pretty small. It's actually even smaller than an Altoids box, but a little taller.

Jul 31, 2002 at 10:10 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
I could be wrong, but isn't the Porta Corda a tad smaller than the Airhead? You would also get that "professional" look that you want. The front panel is printed nicely, but I do not think it is aluminum.

The PortaCorda, if I remember correctly, is a bit longer than the AirHead/TA. They're about the same width. The AirHead is thinner at the thin end, but a bit thicker at the thick end (because of the sloping shape of the enclosure) than the PC, which has the same thickness throughout.

As for the whole "looks too ghetto for me" thing... do you want an amp that makes your headphones sound better, or do you want an amp to strap to your forehead and impress other people with its looks?

Jul 31, 2002 at 11:13 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch

notice the *good* headphones in the picture?
biggrin.gif

I do indeed notice the 'can't hear anything worth a damn when outside, which is the only use I put the V700's to' headphones.

I'm aware of the enclosures, but they all look home-made... that's the problem I guess. I haven't seen the TAH in close-up, but the Porta looks like a well-done DIY project. I know exactly where I can buy that case from, even. A friend of mine can probably design and machine stuff for me for a custom case, but it looks like too much hassle just for an amp - but from what you're telling me, it might be the only way to make the amp myself and go the custom case route - cuz I'm not carrying around something like a Porta Corda.

And MacDEF, I guess I need both.

That skippy amp is intriguing... more details?

Jul 31, 2002 at 11:21 PM Post #11 of 25
Magicthyse,
According to my TAH's user manual, Headroom claims that the TAH is the smallest headphone amp in the world. TAH looks very respectable though.
Purk

Jul 31, 2002 at 11:54 PM Post #12 of 25
Even the PC is too ugly for you? Wow, we're getting really picky now aren't we? Why exactly does the look of the amp matter so much to you? Are you afraid of people pointing and laughing at your "ugly" amp? Do you think that people are going to judge what kind of person YOU are by how your headphone amp looks?

Jul 31, 2002 at 11:56 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
I'm aware of the enclosures, but they all look home-made... that's the problem I guess.

Some of the META amps I've seen in pictures use cases similar to the Supreme/Cosmic (but silver instead of black).

Quote:

I haven't seen the TAH in close-up, but the Porta looks like a well-done DIY project. I know exactly where I can buy that case from, even. A friend of mine can probably design and machine stuff for me for a custom case, but it looks like too much hassle just for an amp - but from what you're telling me, it might be the only way to make the amp myself and go the custom case route - cuz I'm not carrying around something like a Porta Corda.

I actually think the PortaCorda looks pretty good in person, especially the metal faceplate
smily_headphones1.gif

The new AirHeads with the silver/gold sticker/top plates (kind of like stickers, but too thick to be called stickers, IMO) also look a lot less DIY than they used to. IMO they look just as good as or better than a lot of store-bought consumer electronics.

But if your friend can make you a case, buy a PortaCorda or a Total AirHead and have him build you a "better" case
wink.gif

Aug 1, 2002 at 12:43 AM Post #14 of 25
What I wonder is this...

If someone like skippy can make a decent amp in a 9v battery, why doesn't anyone attempt making an amp inside the PCDP? Maybe there is actually enough room in some of the older models?

Aug 1, 2002 at 1:02 AM Post #15 of 25
Here's a wild and wacky idea: get the Headroom MD bag and then get any amp you like to put inside. Then no one can see the amp, except you. And if the looks of the amp still matters to you in that situation...sigh...I offer you my condolences. You're doomed to endless fashion-driven consumerism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back