Smallest Amps using the LOD from iPod
Dec 14, 2008 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

LDM

New Head-Fier
This should be fairly self-explanatory-- no FiiO amps or whatnot. I am looking for practicality over absolute sound quality here, so the amp needs to be ACTUALLY SMALL AND PORTABLE, but uses the LOD, unlike the E3. "Small as possible" might be a safe term to use… not "this amp sounds really good, a little clunky, but I love it so much I'll recommend it"-- small, please. Of course price is always a factor, but I can't too picky, here. Name as many as, er, there are.

Dec 14, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #2 of 14
A few small ones that I can think of:

RSA Tomahawk
Meier Headsix / XXS
iBasso T4
Nuforce Icon Amp
Minibox D, F, or E+
Headamp Pico
RSA Mustang

All these are pretty small. I own the tomahawk and use it everywhere I go. None of these are much bigger than that and many of them are thinner.

Dec 14, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 14
That would probably be the MiniBox-D

minibox-d.jpg

Dec 14, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 14
I am using the T4 with both the 3g and 4g nanos with a small (Qables) LOD. Sorry havent got photos at the moment. But I'd be very surprised if there's anything smaller!!! The minibox would be close - but I think T4 is smaller (Jamato? orr anyone else got a micrometer to hand!! LOL.

Dec 14, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #5 of 14
What are the measurements of the D?

The T4 is small, feels good and sounds very good.

Dec 14, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #6 of 14
Looks like the T4 and Minibox-D are both highly recommended. Hate to do the simplistic "which is better" question, but I'll go for it. Sort of: am I right to assume that the T4 is smaller? And then of course in sound.

Dec 14, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 14
How come the E3 doesn't use LOD? Does this also apply to the E5?

Dec 14, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #8 of 14
E5 has a volume button/rocker so LOD would work with it. Smallest option right there I would think eh?

Dec 14, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoNtO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
E5 has a volume button/rocker so LOD would work with it. Smallest option right there I would think eh?

Forgot about that-- I guess you're right.

Dec 15, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #11 of 14
The E5 would be the smallest (I think), but I would have to say either the iBasso T4 or Mini. I ordered the T4 for christmas and got to use it for about 5 minutes before putting it up.

I used a LOD from my iPod Touch and Senn 555's. Very good from what I heard
smily_headphones1.gif

It is only 104 (without shipping) and very small. The pictures on the site make it look huge compared to what it actually is.

Dec 15, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenGod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Xin SuperMicro IV?

Does he still make them?

Sometimes!
tongue.gif
Merry Christmas 2010!!
popcorn.gif

I like the iBasso T4 for its looks and it seems to be a good value. I think it would look good strapped to an iPod.

Dec 15, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #13 of 14
Doesn't having the jacks on the side of the Minibox-D make it awkward to use with a typical straight-plug LOD?

Personally, I don't think it's all about size (ba-da-dum-CHING!) - it's more about how the DAP and the amp fit together. I think carrying a small, but odd-shaped amp is harder than carrying an amp that can be easily strapped to my Ipod Video.

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are the measurements of the D?

The website state 91mm * 55mm * 8.5mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back