Small powerful DAC/AMP with USB DAC, volume control, low output impedance & battery-powered
May 27, 2015 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

cocolinho

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi Head-fi, I'm requesting some helps!

Despite my combo Bifrost uber/Valhalla 2/HD800, I'm listening more & more my Galaxy SIII/Titan 1 for Spotify.
I dedicated my old SIII as a pure DAP (custom rom, no sim card) and I'm now looking for a device with the following features:

1. DAC/AMP with USB DAC function for my PC
  2. Working as a standalone amp with my SIII or as a dac/amp working with Spotify (main thing!)
  3. Battery powered (at least 8h)
  4. Volume control 
  5. Small footprint
  6. Low output impedance
  7. No hiss with sensitive IEMs
  8. Enough power output to manage headphones until 300 ohms (not talking about hard-to-drive planar of course)

I've spotted Creative E5, Fiio E18, UHA-6S.MKII, D Zero MKII  but I probably miss some good candidates.
Any recommendation among these candidates?

Thanks everyone.

May 27, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #2 of 10
You have a good list. JDS Labs C5D is another that comes to mind.

Be sure to check that your S3 is compatible for USB audio out. Not all older Android phones are, and it also can depend on the version of Android you are running.

May 27, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #4 of 10
  thanks for your reply.
I'm pretty sure they are all compatible. That's another reason why I would like the device to work as an amplifier only too, in the worst case I can double amplify my SIII (being a Wolfson dac it's not that bad)

Android is only entirely OTG Audio compatible since 4.1, before that it was hit and miss.

You could add the E17K to your list as well.  It should work with Android.  Though for $20 more the E18 might be the better buy out of those 2.

May 27, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #5 of 10
thanks for your reply.
I'm pretty sure they are all compatible. That's another reason why I would like the device to work as an amplifier only too, in the worst case I can double amplify my SIII (being a Wolfson dac it's not that bad)

As long as you have verified that with the S3. That's an older model phone, and there were issues with external DACs at that time with many phone models.

May 27, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #6 of 10
Android is only entirely OTG Audio compatible since 4.1, before that it was hit and miss.

You could add the E17K to your list as well.  It should work with Android.  Though for $20 more the E18 might be the better buy out of those 2.

I understand that E17K still has some of the problems as E17 with Android phone compatibility. That sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. And sometimes it requires USB Audio Recorder Pro instead of being able to use the DAC with any media app on the phone. But I could be wrong. Maybe it has improved some.

May 27, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #7 of 10
I understand that E17K still has some of the problems as E17 with Android phone compatibility. That sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. And sometimes it requires USB Audio Recorder Pro instead of being able to use the DAC with any media app on the phone. But I could be wrong. Maybe it has improved some.

You could be right, I'm not sure.

I have an original E17 (that desperately needs a new battery) and use it with an old iPhone when it's not docked at my desk in my E09K.  That's why I said that for $20 more, the OP might as well go for the E18.

May 28, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #8 of 10
I used to have an S3. It worked very well with my HiFimeDIY Sabre DAC for Android.It didn't drain the battery too quickly. I used a cMoyBB amp in the chain. I know these are two devices to plug instead one but I liked the flexibility of the setup.

May 29, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #9 of 10
Because it was to use at work, not on the move (dedicated dap for that) I decided to take another direction.
For the same amount of money I decided to buy a very small & lightweight netbook to use Spotify & Foobar via USB port > Bifrost/vali.

Thanks for your messages.
beerchug.gif

May 29, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #10 of 10
  Hi Head-fi, I'm requesting some helps!

Despite my combo Bifrost uber/Valhalla 2/HD800, I'm listening more & more my Galaxy SIII/Titan 1 for Spotify.
---
I've spotted Creative E5, Fiio E18, UHA-6S.MKII, D Zero MKII  but I probably miss some good candidates.

thanks for your reply.

The MkI D-Zero works flawlessly with my SGS3, and Ibasso didn't even engineer that intentionally. I've tried the MkII briefly and no issues during that 20mins or so I used them together.

Also...if you're using these on a desk, the OTG cable works through a sync dock...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back