Small, Light, Circumaural, Portable
Mar 30, 2009 at 12:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

akki007

100+ Head-Fier
I am searching for the following cans...

1. Small - Both headphone size, cable length and thickness
2. Light
3. Circumaural
4. Portable - Foldy uppy
5. Small leakage (Plane use) - Not bothered about isolating outside noise at all. In fact, I quite like outside noise.
6. Sound signature similar to Grados
7. Approx £100/$100 (Wasn't long ago when £100 would have got me $200, doh!)

As an example of style only...

TV266

Please help!
confused_face_2.gif

I posted in the portable cans section first, see what yall think.

Mar 30, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #3 of 18
What about the Denon 1001's? I don't like the aesthetics of the Ultrasone cans.

Mar 30, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #4 of 18
Mar 30, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #5 of 18
Thanks, but aren't those ultrasones supra aural? I'm looking for circum aural!

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #6 of 18
Denon's don't fold, and circumaural headphones aren't what you would classify as a portable. I can't tell you anything about it other than it fits point number 5 very well.

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #7 of 18
Grados typically sound the way they do due to their open design, so it may be difficult to find a cheaper circumaural/closed can that gives you that sort of sound (there are actually Grado mods that change the pads to Circumaural ones but it usually comes in expense of huge SQ change). Circumaurals are also typically bigger, and even the smaller ones will sound like they are open and leak sound, etc. (like the D1001, which isn't even close to Grado sound btw).

Pretty much, you've stated some requirements that are typically mutually exclusive, so it'll be somewhat difficult for us to come up with a choice for you. You may have to sacrifice one thing or another, like considering supra-aural instead of circumaural, something of higher price, or think of getting ones that are slightly bigger and non-gradoish, etc.

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #8 of 18
i can recommend the sennheiser PX200s as they fit almost all your criteria. if you can get your ears under a pair of them to listen to i am sure you would put them in your shortlist. i used them unamped with my sansa clip and amped with my ipod classic and practical devices XM4. in both configurations i have been quite happy.

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

1. Small - Both headphone size, cable length and thickness
2. Light
3. Circumaural
4. Portable - Foldy uppy
5. Small leakage (Plane use) - Not bothered about isolating outside noise at all. In fact, I quite like outside noise.
6. Sound signature similar to Grados
7. Approx £100/$100 (Wasn't long ago when £100 would have got me $200, doh!)

Non existant!
Closest thing is Koss UR-40, but they don't isolate much.

Mar 30, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Non existant!
Closest thing is Koss UR-40, but they don't isolate much.

Hmm, these look interesting but at that price point I suspect I'm compromising SQ.

Anyone any experience of these Koss cans?

Mar 30, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #12 of 18
someone donate their bose triports for a driver replacement!

Only solution I can think of. Triports are the smallest AND most comfortable circumaurals on the market IMO. I would stretch as far as to say that they're really well designed for what they can do. Just pop in some better drivers and some damping mods.

btw: I hate triports. They sound crappy, I just find they have great (and I mean freaking great) ergonomics.

Mar 30, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #13 of 18
LOL you had me there, posting about circumaural and showing us a pic of a supraaural Bose
tongue.gif

Go for the Denon D1001 or the Creative Live! Aurvana (same thing, just rebranded and likely cheaper). Best sub $100 circumaural headphone there is!

Mar 30, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL you had me there, posting about circumaural and showing us a pic of a supraaural Bose
tongue.gif

Go for the Denon D1001 or the Creative Live! Aurvana (same thing, just rebranded and likely cheaper). Best sub $100 circumaural headphone there is!

I did say they were a sample of style only!

I'm going for the ES7s. Super, circum, whatever they are, that's what Im getting!

Mar 30, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #15 of 18
Easy, c-Jays with the large pads. I think they fit all the criteria now that the price is down to $79 at SoundEarphones. Foldable, under $100, light, circumaural, not really isolating. FrederikS compared them to an SR60 in his review on TechPowerUp but only said they are a bit more balanced than the Grado. Maybe shoot him a PM for confirmation/more info on how much they actually sound like a Grado.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Jays/c-Jays

Users who are viewing this thread

Back