Small headphones with good isolation (MX500, E888, Etymotic)
Jun 24, 2002 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

beowulf

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I've been using the MX500 and E888 at work for about 4 months now. I won't even get into the issue of which one I prefer... the problem now is that I came to the conclusion that I'm still not fully satisfied because isolation could be better. (If I push te E888 close to my ears and kinda seal them in, sound improves 100%)

With both, I hear too much external noise, losing soundstage and bass. At home, in the quiet, they sound way better.

So yes, you're thinking Etymotic. That won't do however... I need something not that isolating... I need to be able to take off the headphones easily when someone walks up to me, and being able to hear a person speaking close to me without having to remove them is even better.

Can anyone recommend any headphones that:

a) sound good
b) have good isolation
c) are easy/fast to remove
d) are as discrete as possible.

Koss' "The Plug" looked tempting, bet they're easy to remove and have good isolation... but since everybody says they suck, I didn't buy them.

Thanks
cool.gif

Jun 24, 2002 at 5:51 PM Post #2 of 13
Just to refine what it is you're looking for, it sounds as if you don't want phones that have "good isolation." You want a few db at most. Are larger phones out of the question? Sennheiser makes some fairly inexpensive phones (I'm thinking about the HD202 or 212) that will provide some isolation, but are easy to take on and off. Furthermore, there not as large and circum-aural phones.

Jun 24, 2002 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 13
That's the question you may wish to ask yourself.

I'm sort of passing on earbuds, altogether, for outside listening; there's not sufficient isolation and I find most buds simply do not fit, properly, and/or are uncomfortable.

I'm very happy with my 888's, VX100's, and even my cheapie MX400/s, but I've discovered earbuds suffer from similar flaws. Here is a synopsis of my current line-up:

(1) The 888's do not isolate worth a rat's you-know-what. They have excellent sound and fit very well into my ears.
(2) The VX100's are the new "king" on the earbud block. They sound terrific, have lots of output, but do not fit into my ear all that well. Isolation is only so-so.
(3) The MX400's are not comfortable and offer zilch in isolation, but have decent sound

I'm doing something about this - I ordered a set of ER-4P's! Yes, I bit the bullet and decided this would be the only way to make me happy. Or, so I hope......

You might want to look at one of the Eggos models. They are lightweight, stylish, isolate reasonably well, easy to take on/off, and don't look too goofy in public. (at least nobody snickers at me when I'm wearing my D22SL's....)

Cheers.

Jun 24, 2002 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 13
superbaldguy,
How good is the VX100? Is it that much better than the EX-70lp, MX-500, and E888? I'm wondering .

If money is not a problem, go ahead and order the ety. Isolation is excellent. It's that good.

Purk

Jun 24, 2002 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 13
purk
Yes the aiwa vx 100 are way better than the sony ex 70lp and with the music on they isolate ok. They only cost 25.00 + 10.00 shipping. I see no reason for you to spend 300.00 for what you need. I did and sent them back after having ear thouble with the etys. Not to memtion that they are way to much money. I have learned to only but the cheep stuff and if I dont like it no big loss.

Jun 24, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 13
The VX100's are a great deal, considering the miniscule cost compared to many others that have inferior sound for more money. I do not own the EX70's, but can say these Aiwas trump the 888's in most respects.

The MDR-E888's do have a better fit, at least in my ears, but the 16mm drivers may not work in your aural cavities as well. That's the problem with most buds - they are, usually, a "one size fits all" scenario. The EX70's do have a choice of different gaskets, so fit shouldn't be a problem.

Most buds do not offer much in the way of insulation. The EX70's do a very nice job (or, so I've been told umpteen times!) but they may not block out noise that much better than the VX100's. For the modest price of $35 USD, I'd give them a try.

Earphones are like women's shoes - you'll end up with quite a variety, after awhile, and you'll one for every situation.
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2002 at 1:41 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by beowulf
Can anyone recommend any headphones that:

a) sound good
b) have good isolation
c) are easy/fast to remove
d) are as discrete as possible.

Thanks
cool.gif

Forget the Koss the plug. Go with a pair of Koss Porta Pro. They use to same drivers as the highly regards KSC-35. Besides, there is a mute button on the cord which allows you mute the music while someone wants to take to you.

If you want good isolation and able to spare 300, get the ETY4Ps by all means. They bring me joy of music while I ride the subway. The isolation is very much appreciated. It's just like taking your beloved HD600 or .........(what's ever your high-end favour cans are) on the road. And I think they are so easy and fast to remove as other earbuds (I use foam tips all the time).

Jun 25, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #8 of 13
Beo---

think ER6. they don't go as deep into the ear as the ER4 and so provide good isolation though not total (which I think is what you want) and the lesser depth makes em easier to take them out quickly and painlessly. I have the ER6s and compared them extensively to the ER4 at the recent Headroom show and though the ER4 sounds better (especially more bass) the 6 may suit you better due to the lesser isolation. And it costs lots less than the ER4s---$130 or so. The sound is way better than the MX500s and probably better than the Aiwa/Sony buds as well, though I have not heard those. (I've heard the EX70s, and the ER6 is better than those by far!) The 35s sound good and cost little, but they let in and emit too much noise for your stated purpose.

good shopping to you!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #9 of 13
I might order the VX-100 sometimes. However, I really love my E888, since I have a very good fit with it. As for the Ety 4s, I like it, but..I can't justify spending that much of money on a pair of little things. I always feel bad when inserting the ety in my ears.
Does the Vx-100 provides a better isolation than the EX-70lp? So sad that my Senn 580, and grado SR-225 is so big, and open-air design. It's no good for listening to music outside.
I may have to stick with my V6 for the next plain ride. I also have the EX-70lp, and if the VX-100 is that much better...it may worth the money.

Jun 27, 2002 at 10:54 PM Post #11 of 13
Got a listen to the Aiwa HP-VX100 yesterday. When I asked about their return policy, the shop assistant unwrapped a pack before my very eyes and I ran them through my MD microscope. What a contrast to the Aiwa's HP-V161 (reviewed by me here:- http://www.headwize.com/ubb/showpage...num=1&tid=4746 ) which also sports a 13.5mm driver. As you say, the treble rolloff is quite pronounced! I was surprised with the diameter of the silicon plugs, thinking they would have been designed for smaller earholes than mine, but I was able to get a good fit. Isolation? Forget it! These things are on a par with the MX400, ie. no isolation worth mentioning. That was a major disappointment which, combined with the subsided treble meant that the kind assistant had a repackaging job to do...

Jun 27, 2002 at 11:20 PM Post #12 of 13
I've lost a lot of enthusiasm for my Aiwa HP-VX100's, lately. Being one of the first people to have them jammed in my ears, I was quite happy with them, initially, but have been losing my zest for them, lately. (I've had them over a month)

They are far from comfortable. The largish silicone earpieces do not fit into my ear canal too well, having to, literally, squash them to get any sort of seal, and, then, they sort of only lay in my ears like any other bud. If only there was another gasket size choice, then, maybe, that would be OK.

Isolation is not significantly better than, say, the MDR-E888's, maybe a few dB. The sensitivity is quite impressive, though, on par with the 888's; that should lead one to believe they are not true "isolator" buds.

The sound is quite exceptional, I think, for buds, but not a whole lot better than the MX400/500's.

One last caveat is that %$#&*% neck chain! I HATE those things ,as they do not tuck well under coat flaps.

I'm fixing this scenario as I have a set of ER-4P's on order....
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2002 at 11:35 PM Post #13 of 13
Purk,

You'd better stick with your E484. As I ever told you, it sounded so darn good as I experienced. A lot better than E888 which I'd tried and returned. And it's very hard to find now. You got a good one man. BUDdy
biggrin.gif

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back