Small ears (ear canals)?
Jul 31, 2008 at 7:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

AlexLastName

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a cheap IEM that I could maybe go running with or do something of the like. However, I have a problem keeping the IEM's in my ear because I think my ears are too small for the tips. They also tend to hurt after not too long. So I guess I'm wondering if anyone shares my problem or has any recommendations.

On a side note, I know Skullcandy is quite frowned upon. I had to borrow my sister's full-size Skullcandy headphones and they were quite dismal. However, there's a bunch of $70 IEM's on clearance for $25 at a store around me (maybe because they're too awful to sell?
wink_face.gif
), and I'm wondering if the sound quality might beat that of other similarly priced IEM's. By the way, they're the Full Metal Jacket model.

Jul 31, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #2 of 9
Skullcandy is frowned on by highend users, but it really isn't that bad. I've also used Skullcandy and mine(about $20) were not that bad. They were what you would expect for $20, similar to the JVC marshmallows.

For $25, they're worth a shot. Skullcandys come with multiple sized ear gels, including a small one that may be good for your small ear.

However, for the original price, there are many better options out there. Sennheisers in-ears(about $70 as well) are better and also come with the multiple size ear sleeves.

Jul 31, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 9
I have the small ear problem and for me the best ones ever for comfort in fit have been these Creative EP-630's which will share the same fit with Sen CX300. They sound pretty good also. They dont really insert into your canal, they site in my ear perfect without discomfort. Just remember that those ones dont get shoved into your canal or they will be uncomfortable, the rubber sleeve basically sits up against the canal and seals nicely. They will fall out easier then a true IEM though if the cable gets tugged on and I lose the seal with those when I put my motorcycle helmet on.

Jul 31, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #5 of 9
Not necessarily disagreeing, but are you guys sure you have small ear canals? It seems like there are so many people who think their ear canals are too small, but no one thinks theirs are too big. If you can't get IEM's to stay in, maybe you need a bigger tip, not a smaller one. I am by no means a large person, and I typically use the largest size single-flange tip. When I've tried the smaller ones, I can't get them to seal properly.

Jul 31, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott549 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not necessarily disagreeing, but are you guys sure you have small ear canals? It seems like there are so many people who think their ear canals are too small, but no one thinks theirs are too big. If you can't get IEM's to stay in, maybe you need a bigger tip, not a smaller one. I am by no means a large person, and I typically use the largest size single-flange tip. When I've tried the smaller ones, I can't get them to seal properly.

I agree.

For many IEM first-timers there will be at least a week of discomfort before your ear canal adjusts to the presence of an IEM. Rarely can an ear canal actually be too small --- remember, engineers at the manufacturer already think of these things when designing their products.

Jul 31, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #7 of 9
Well, I got purchased the Skullcandy phones; mainly because I didn't want to wait any longer. They sound alright, I imagine for the price I got them I couldn't have done any better. There's a little constant white noise and they're a little muddy, but hey, they were $25.

As for the ear size thing, I know that my ear canals are at least small, though probably not abnormally tiny. The small earpiece fits well though with a little discomfort, unfortunately I lost one when I opened the package so I'm going half and half. The medium one keeps sneaking out of my ear when I wear it.

Will the Shure foams keep the earphone in if I were to run with them? Also, what do you think of these: http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/compl...buds-p-80.html ?

Aug 1, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #8 of 9
LOL, yes Im sure that my ear canals are too small. I went to an audioligist with my SA6. My left ear accepts the sa6 small tip perfectly with a nice seal. Of course the first couple days they were uncomfortable but Ive adjusted now. The right one wasnt fitting well at all. I thought maybe I was haveing trouble cleaning my ears but the audioligist said that it was too large. She said to get some customs or find a smaller tip for my right ear.

Im going to try the Jays XS and XXS soon. A member here at headfi is sending them to me for free. So yes, at least one company has thought of this, not sure about the others though.

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #9 of 9
Save your money and get a custom set. Mine are small and sensitive, nothing out there is "comfortable" and you can actually hurt yourself pretty easily. Customs are not cheap of course, but if you want an IEM and have small ears they are the way to go.

Check out my posts for a review of er-4ps with westone tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back