Small Budget DAP/Transport with USB output?
Nov 12, 2019 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

virgopunk

100+ Head-Fier
So, here’s what I’m searching for:

A small (smaller than, and complimenting, the Chord Mojo) budget bit-perfect DAP/Transport that includes a digital output (either Coax/USB or Optical), ability to use an OTG storage device (pref USB-C), at least 1 Micro-SD slot. APTx or LDAC Bluetooth (with a reliable BT signal) would be nice but not essential. UI must be simple and allow viewing by file structure (I think Cowon’s UI is very good here).

Is there anything like this out there? I saw the Shanling M0 but couldn't see if that had a dedicated digital output (also I believe the UI isn't that good).

I currently use a Cowon Plenue M2, which is bit surplus when paired with the Mojo and doesn’t have a USB output.

I know some will say "Why not get the Chord Poly?" but I'm still not convinced that's a neat solution since it involves using a phone as the interface. Plus the complexity of the set up puts me off a bit.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

UPDATE: I've looked at the Shanling M0, HiBy R3 and Hidizs AP80. The M0 would be ideal apart from the fact there's no app (HiByMusic isn't compatible) and nothing on the horizon afaics.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #2 of 16
I use the HiBy R3 for exactly that. The best thing about it is that it's the same dimensions (except thickness) as the Mojo so stacks very, very handsomely with some (black) low profile dual-lock. And you can also choose between coax and USB - which you can't with M0.

I own both.

Nov 13, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #3 of 16
I'm looking for the exact same device for my IFI nano bl. Hiby r3, m0 and AP80 are a good choice, but take a look at the Tempotec v1: only a digital transport (USB, coax and BT), 2 sd cards and little form factor (not as little as m0)

Nov 13, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 16
Tempotec V1 looks really interesting. Might have to try that one myself...

edit: how is the coax implemented on it? Is it from the type c port like the R3 or from 3.5mm?

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #5 of 16
Nov 13, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #6 of 16
Thanks. Yh, saw the HF reviews but none of them explicitly mentioned the use/implementation of coax nor does it have it's own dedicated thread so thought I'd ask here. Upon further googling, looking at the AliExpress reviews, it appears it uses the same TRRS as the Fiio - which is good since I already have one for the Fiio X3ii.

So let me get this straight; it has 2 MicroSD slots, decodes DST and DSD upto DSD256 including iso files, Bi-directional BT, HiByLink and 20+ hours battery life?
At £70, I think I defo will take a punt at this little device... Once I'm back on land after the New Year. It'll be a belated Crimbo pressie to myself!

@AlfredoDG thanks for pointing me to this little device. I've been looking for a reasonably priced dual SD transport for a while now and this appears to fit the bill exactly.

Nov 14, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #7 of 16
I use the HiBy R3 for exactly that. The best thing about it is that it's the same dimensions (except thickness) as the Mojo so stacks very, very handsomely with some (black) low profile dual-lock. And you can also choose between coax and USB - which you can't with M0.

I own both.
Thanks for that. Having just read the details on the Tempotec I think that sneaks past the R3. Especially if it can be used wit the HiBy link app.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #8 of 16
I'm looking for the exact same device for my IFI nano bl. Hiby r3, m0 and AP80 are a good choice, but take a look at the Tempotec v1: only a digital transport (USB, coax and BT), 2 sd cards and little form factor (not as little as m0)
Does the Tempotec work with teh HiBy Music android app? I love the dual SD card slots! I'm assuming this also allows bit-perfect USB output?
Thanks.

Nov 14, 2019 at 5:25 AM Post #9 of 16
Thanks. Yh, saw the HF reviews but none of them explicitly mentioned the use/implementation of coax nor does it have it's own dedicated thread so thought I'd ask here. Upon further googling, looking at the AliExpress reviews, it appears it uses the same TRRS as the Fiio - which is good since I already have one for the Fiio X3ii.

So let me get this straight; it has 2 MicroSD slots, decodes DST and DSD upto DSD256 including iso files, Bi-directional BT, HiByLink and 20+ hours battery life?
At £70, I think I defo will take a punt at this little device... Once I'm back on land after the New Year. It'll be a belated Crimbo pressie to myself!

@AlfredoDG thanks for pointing me to this little device. I've been looking for a reasonably priced dual SD transport for a while now and this appears to fit the bill exactly.
You wouldn't know where I couold source a compatible coax to Mojo cable would you?

Nov 14, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #10 of 16
I think I got my X3ii coax cable from eBay... But that was quite a few years ago now. But I'm now thinking about improving my soldering skills and making a new one should I buy the Tempotec.

I'm pretty sure u can still get the short angled usb cable from eBay.

And yes, HiByLink is the feature that allows u to control the HiByOS from Android/iOS app

Nov 14, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #11 of 16
I think I got my X3ii coax cable from eBay... But that was quite a few years ago now. But I'm now thinking about improving my soldering skills and making a new one should I buy the Tempotec.

I'm pretty sure u can still get the short angled usb cable from eBay.

And yes, HiByLink is the feature that allows u to control the HiByOS from Android/iOS app

Good to know! Do we know if the Tempotec can output via USB to the Mojo or would it need to be via the coaxial input?

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #13 of 16
Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #14 of 16
I'm assuming there'd be no diffierence in SQ between USB and coaxial? Plus USB cables are more flexible so would stack nicer?
Also, even though the Tempotect states that the max size of SD card is 256GB do we know if it'll except larger cards? I have a 512GB card in my Cowon Plenue M2. If the Tempotec accepts this size you'd be looking at nearly 1TB of storage on a device 8cmx4cm!

Nov 16, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #15 of 16
I'm assuming there'd be no diffierence in SQ between USB and coaxial?

All depends on who u ask, especially in this here forum. Some people on the Mojo thread seems to think there's a difference... I personally don't, as they are both sending 1s and 0s. But having said that, I personally prefer coax with the Mojo because there isn't that annoying gap at the begining of manually changing tracks like there is with USB. But USB looks nicer once stacked. So it really comes down to preference... on several levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back