Small and light closed circumaural around $80
Dec 3, 2013 at 9:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

creyc

500+ Head-Fier
I've got someone on my holiday wish list very much in need of a new pair of headphones.  I know they would prefer something over the ear, small and light, and closed.  I was hoping for something around the $80 price point, online or in-store is fine.  Easily driven by iPod is important.

This person listens to mostly pop music, and something warm and with decent bass would be preferred over outright clinical accuracy.  I'm at quite a loss with all these new brands popping up seemingly every day (Beats, Sol, Monster, etc..).  Back when I was buying my last fullsize cans it was Senn, Grado, Beyer, AKG, AT, and a handful of others.  I'm not really sure what's a good value for the money anymore..

Dec 4, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #3 of 13
Dec 4, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #4 of 13
  I've got someone on my holiday wish list very much in need of a new pair of headphones.  I know they would prefer something over the ear, small and light, and closed.  I was hoping for something around the $80 price point, online or in-store is fine.  Easily driven by iPod is important.

This person listens to mostly pop music, and something warm and with decent bass would be preferred over outright clinical accuracy.  I'm at quite a loss with all these new brands popping up seemingly every day (Beats, Sol, Monster, etc..).  Back when I was buying my last fullsize cans it was Senn, Grado, Beyer, AKG, AT, and a handful of others.  I'm not really sure what's a good value for the money anymore..

Check out the JVC HA-S680.

Dec 17, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #5 of 13
Never thought I'd see it this way, but the Bose AE2 seem to do all of these things for slightly above budget.  They're light, sound good enough, and block outside sound pretty well.

I never thought I'd buy another Bose product but frankly I just don't see anything else close to comparable, which is sad.

Dec 17, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #6 of 13
Dec 17, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #7 of 13
What you want is the Audio Technica ATH-M50.  I tried posting a link for a great deal on them.  Go to slick deals . com and look for the headphones there.  I think after the coupon code its $90 but these are biggest band for the $

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #8 of 13
  I don't think these are available in the 'States, seems to be a Japanese model, but thanks!

Yea, only sold in Japan, but easy to order off eBay or Amazon.
My JVC HA-S500-Zs took a week from day order until they arrived on my doorstep in California.

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #9 of 13
  What you want is the Audio Technica ATH-M50.  I tried posting a link for a great deal on them.  Go to slick deals . com and look for the headphones there.  I think after the coupon code its $90 but these are biggest band for the $

These look pretty cool but unfortunately they also look very big from the pictures I've seen.  I'd have to check them out in person, but thanks for that suggestion.

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #10 of 13
Sennheiser PX 360. I tried them out at best buy, They're the best portable's I've ever heard. They're also light and easily driven. Also. they have the best passive noise isolation I've ever heard. They have a small boost on the bass, but it's a fuller bass, and it's under control. They also have clear mids and crisp highs.

Dec 18, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #12 of 13
  Sennheiser PX 360. I tried them out at best buy, They're the best portable's I've ever heard. They're also light and easily driven. Also. they have the best passive noise isolation I've ever heard. They have a small boost on the bass, but it's a fuller bass, and it's under control. They also have clear mids and crisp highs.

Gotta read up on these a little but I think you may have found what I'm looking for!  Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back