Smack;Bottlehead WOT
Jul 29, 2011 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

WyldRage

100+ Head-Fier
Keeping the title in line with the Crack OTL's thread.

Bottlehead is releasing a new headphone amplifier, "With Output Transformer". It's not as low-cost as the Crack, but since it has output transformers, it will make it far easier to drive all headphones.

Here's the link: http://www.bottlehead.com/store.php?crn=224&rn=455&action=show_detail

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #3 of 30
And it will also have Balanced output with a single TRS.  Very interesting. I'm debating on selling my Mappletree MAD Ear+ HD Purist to build one of these??? The MAD also  has an Output Transformer but having the option for Balancing my HD-650 and Grado would be nice. 
confused.gif

Jul 31, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #5 of 30

Quote:
And it will also have Balanced output with a single TRS.  Very interesting. I'm debating on selling my Mappletree MAD Ear+ HD Purist to build one of these??? The MAD also  has an Output Transformer but having the option for Balancing my HD-650 and Grado would be nice. 
confused.gif

If you want a MAD order NOW! Mapletree Audio is raising prices by 5-10% tomorrow!

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 30
My bad: I was jumping words and read "I am considering a MAD Ear+".

I would keep it a while longer: you will be able to read some impressions and reviews, and your current amplifier will be worth more due to the rising prices.

Aug 4, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #8 of 30
Hey guys,
The Smack is getting really close to being ready for prime time.
The output configurations and the switching is pretty amazing.
If you're interested, here's a link to the development thread over on the Bottlehead forum.
You'll notice that there's a "preproduction" pricing offer too.

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/board,29.0.html

Aug 16, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #12 of 30
Wanna see my white Crack?

I like this a lot, it's about my favorite for Sennheiser HD800's (300 ohms,) and it's good with my 600 ohm Beyer DT-880's. 

Interestingly, it works well on my Audio Technica  ath-5000, which are 40 ohm- but have good sensitivity. 

It's great with the  higher sensitivity 'phones.  Doesn't work AT ALL satisfactorily with my low sensitivity / low impedance planar phones like LCD-2 and HE-6.  Just nowhere near enough "oomph' to drive them.

I have the "Speedball" upgrade, and use  film caps instead of electrolytics for output coupling.

I also have a Bottlehead Eros phono preamp, it is pretty wonderful.  

I am not sure the Smack appeals to me; I wonder, will it have the power to drive the LCD-2? How about the HE-6?  And do I really want to have a transformer between my ears and the signal?  I might buy it just to find out.  

Aug 16, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #15 of 30
What...no love for the S.E.X.?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back