SM2/3 vs UM2/3x
Mar 10, 2012 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Gilly87

Member of the Trade: ApeSonic
Would anyone perchance know which of these 4 has the greatest quantity/best extension of bass?

If anyone has heard 2 or more of these I would greatly appreciate a brief comparison :) I have read plenty of reviews but I am most interested in the bass quantity and also the lushness of their midranges, which I have not seen compared anywhere yet.

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 11
I'm trying to figure out which of these will be the best for me...I've tried the ASG-1 so I know I want something that is fairly monitor-like in presentation, big soundstage, forward vocals, etc., but I want whichever of these is going to give me the most engaging, musical, full-blown sound experience with bass that hits reasonably hard (I don't need W3-like slam, but something comparable to the ASG-1 or Shure SE215 in terms of impact would be nice).

At the moment I'm leaning towards the SM3 just so I don't get upgraditis, but if there is another one of these that can match its engaging quality and has more powerful bass, I am willing to take a slight hit in overall SQ.

Mar 10, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #3 of 11
Ok, ok, guilty answer...I dont want to pay $500 USD plus shipping from france for the SM3, but I can get the UM2 and UM3x for a really good price, and I want to know what the SM3 does substantially better or different. I have read Joker's reviews but I would like to hear other impressions. Are the SM3 really noticeably more musical and engaging than the Westones?

Also what significant advantages do the SM3 offer over the SM2?

Mar 10, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 11
Sorry, not a rel answer to your question. More a warning. Just picked up a SM2 and to my ears is very similar to my shure 530. Thick mids lacking micro-details and rolled off treble. The complete opposite of a high end dynamic.

Just my 2 cents.

Mar 10, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
Ok, ok, guilty answer...I dont want to pay $500 USD plus shipping from france for the SM3, but I can get the UM2 and UM3x for a really good price, and I want to know what the SM3 does substantially better or different. I have read Joker's reviews but I would like to hear other impressions. Are the SM3 really noticeably more musical and engaging than the Westones?

Also what significant advantages do the SM3 offer over the SM2?

From what I know the presentation is one of the main differences btw the SM2 and SM3.  3 has more of an enveloping sound stage putting you closer to the stage.  With the SM2, it pushes the stage back a few rows so to speak, so you're not as close to the performers.  I've also heard that while the SM2 shares many characteristics and similarities as the SM3, is not quite as "thick" sounding as the three.

Whenever I get some ASG-1's, I can let you know how they sound compared to each other, I'm quite curious.

As a side note, the UM3x are really nice too, always wanted to audition those but too pricey!

Mar 10, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #6 of 11
I'm not sure if UMX's are able to do this; but due high dependence of SM3 with Tips. I can have different signatures with SM3 varying the length, width of the tube and stiffness of tip. I can change the amount of bass, treble, clarity, air, depth and width.

I have done some experiments with insertion of wider tube pieces on tips and SQ varies greatly.

Next gonna buy some MC triple-flange and double flange sensorcom.

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #8 of 11
I'm glad you found ones.

Being you a lover of warmth signature, you'll like it.

Remember the importance of the tip and good seal, to find the ideal spot for you, exploring this u will able to tune what you want.

lubricate with hand cream the silicone tip for a good seal, i need that.

Read about it in the very useful  @Average_joe topic.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/485632/earsonics-sm3-appreciation-discussion-review-thread-technically-best-universal-see-first-post-for-reviews-and-info#post_6592319

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
Well Ive found a solid deal on the SM3, so this thread is no longer necessary for me personally :) But  I would still love to hear other comparisons for the sake of future purchases and posterity.

I was just at Walgreens, I think I saw your wallet in the line.  Heard it say something about getting a prescription for anti-depressants. 

Makes a lot of sense now :wink:

Mar 10, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #10 of 11
XD Sad but true...audiophilia on retail wages is hard on monetary morale...
Originally Posted by munkyballz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was just at Walgreens, I think I saw your wallet in the line.  Heard it say something about getting a prescription for anti-depressants. 

Makes a lot of sense now :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back