Slowly becoming Audiophile, need player to help!
Nov 25, 2009 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Pinnipeds

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
*New Disclaimer Again (I said this in my first post) sorry if this topic has already been touched on but I'm a newbie to Head-Fi, so please go easy on me!

I see myself slowing turning into the one thing I though I'd never be, an audiophile
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
. While I am not becoming a hardcore audiophile, I still feel I'm becoming one a bit.

I have an iPhone and I love it to death, but after researching I know it is not the best music player, and I'm looking for the very greatest. I'm still going to use it as my normal phone and main source of gaming (Doodle Jump!!!!!) :p, thoug.

I'm going to say here that I could never tell the difference between FLAC and mp3 at 320kbps (maybe lower) so I don't care what format the player (what other formats are there besides mp3?) is. I just want the very best of what it is.

My price range is about $300 and down, I'm not looking to kill my wallet.

I'm also probably getting Shure SE530's, I'm really not sure if that will help for my media player, but I guess it's a good thing to note.

Thanks a lot!

-Pinnipeds

Nov 25, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #2 of 26
I don't have an iPhone, but I've read a few threads here in regards to improving the SQ via a LOD / headphone amp. You might want to do a search and see what others have said, on this subject. You could buy something new of course, but improving on what you already have might be a cheaper endeavor.

Nov 25, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinnipeds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the response but, what's a LOD?

Also, how about the Sansa Clip+ (I see you have the Clip in your signature)

Sansa Clip+ is an excellent beginner's DAP.

I actually use the original Clip as my main player on the go and sounds pretty good considering how small it is. Not to mention, it's very durable. It's taken some pretty heavy beatings, but it's still working fine. I love this little thing.

With the Clip+, I can't see how anyone can go wrong with it.

Nov 25, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Line Out Dock.

Nov 25, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #6 of 26
Cowon D2 + CXS mini to mini cable + Mini3 AMPs..........

Nov 25, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #7 of 26
I use my IPOD touch with Shure SRH840 headphones. I think it sounds great for a portable player. Try some good headphones before you buy another player. I think you will be surprised. I am an audiophile and am satisfied with this setup.

Nov 25, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #8 of 26
A good starter rig (IMO) would be a Sansa Fuze > NuForce Icon Mobile > and a good set of IEMs

The Fuze is cheap, and you can hot-swap MicroFlash cards as often as you want to sort of "boost" memory. They also play a wide variety of audiophile approved file types. They are also cheap and really simple to use, no need for a fancy pants interface just drag-drop-play.

Also, the Fuze and Icon go together like peanut butter and jelly. They are just the right size to fit on top of each other (silicone retention strap comes with the amp) giving you a tidy, but cool looking, starter rig. The Icon also has a gain setting specifically for IEMs.

So with the gear listed in bold above, you will have left the world of tard-fi and moved into the glorious, wallet draining world of mid-fi.

p.s.

Before you buy a pair of IEM's, GO DEMO A PAIR OF GRADO SR-60i's!!!!! If they don't make you crap your pants with joy, well then maybe I'm weird....

Nov 25, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

The LOD query was already answered. As for the Clip, I happen to like it a lot - but it has a specific use for me. I use it for workouts and running since it's so small, but it's not my main player.

It's a different product than the Touch / iPhone however - no iTunes support, and I don't believe it supports AAC (.m4a). So keep that in mind if you use AAC.

Nov 25, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #10 of 26
+1 for the Fuze>Nuforce>good earphones.

The player+amp actually 'fits' in the palm of your hand!
<<picture is slightly larger than real size!(when opened to fullscreen)

Great activity portable.

Nov 26, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by roebeet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have an iPhone, but I've read a few threads here in regards to improving the SQ via a LOD / headphone amp. You might want to do a search and see what others have said, on this subject. You could buy something new of course, but improving on what you already have might be a cheaper endeavor.

I cannot really find any LOD's besides this ALO Audio which is probably the one I would want.

This, however, would be $95 more than getting a Sansa Fuze.

Choices, choices...

Anyone else have any suggestions for other players?

Nov 26, 2009 at 9:54 AM Post #13 of 26
Ebay~~~!! Just buy one of the cheap home made ones? It's probably good quality seeing how the auction state it uses good quality copper or silver played copper.

So put atleast 18$ in a good LoD (if you are picking from those on ebay), or just make one yourself, or have one made by one of the guys on this forum.
wink.gif
As for amp I have no idea... As for headphones/iem's; depends on your taste in music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back