Slightly disappointed with Grado SR60i, what to try out next?
May 26, 2014 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

rochester21

New Head-Fier
Hello, everyone.  After reading many reviews about them, i finally got my hands on a pair of Grado SR60I, and well, i feel that they are a mixed bag.  The build quality is great when compared with ordinary heapphones and i love the design, but i didn`t enjoy the sound very much.

The vocals were great, but i noticed that the mids being so upfront, they actually had the tendency to make my ears hurt-  now i understand why some people say that they are fatiguing.   I also have to admit that i am used to hearing a more pronounced bass than what the SR60I reproduce.

Currently my best pair of headphones are the sennheiser HD238 precision.  What i am hopping for is to combine the relaxed character of the sennheiser and the bass extension and keep the great vocals and higher lever of detail i liked about the grados.  I`m also aiming for something durable and maybe classic-looking. Soundstage and noise isolation are not huge issues for me.

After some research, I`ve found the AKG K240 model.  They seem to be a good enough compromise on the overall, and i was wondering if these would be a good pick for my next pair of headphones.

So, would the AKG K240 be a step-up from the HD238 and will they have a more balanced(and less fatiguing) sound that the Grados? Should i be looking at other brands and models?  My proposed budget would be around 100 dollars, and i don`t mind buying used.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

May 26, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 16
  Get the UE 6000, which are $200 headphones being closed out at under $100.

Logitech ?? Don`t these guys also make computer keyboards and unreliable tv remotes? Also, these appear to be using batteries- i did try the sennheiser px-200, and hated them.  With the sound cancelation on, the sound was explosive, while on off they were the dullest headphones. 

May 26, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 16
  Logitech ?? Don`t these guys also make computer keyboards and unreliable tv remotes? Also, these appear to be using batteries- i did try the sennheiser px-200, and hated them.  With the sound cancelation on, the sound was explosive, while on off they were the dullest headphones. 

everything as true as truth can get. they also make PC mices, crappy expensive simulation wheels, and, look at that, security cameras. 

have you tried different pads for the grado's? I've read it can make a lot of difference. read here: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evaluation-grado-stock-and-modified-ear-pads

May 26, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #5 of 16
If you can afford them, maybe give the Sennheiser HD558 a look.

And give innerfidelity a look.  So good reviews to help you make a decision.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/

May 26, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #8 of 16
yes it does. call me old fashioned but active NC headphones are not my liking. if they need external power (please don't confuse it with amp) to be enjoyable, they're not for me :wink:

for under 100 bucks they are a steal, no doubt 'bout that, personally I wouldn't buy them, but if you can live with the AAA batteries carry on.

May 26, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #9 of 16
  yes it does. call me old fashioned but active NC headphones are not my liking. if they need external power (please don't confuse it with amp) to be enjoyable, they're not for me :wink:

for under 100 bucks they are a steal, no doubt 'bout that, personally I wouldn't buy them, but if you can live with the AAA batteries carry on.

Except that the 6000 can be used and sound best with the noise cancellation turned off (see review I posted above).

May 27, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #13 of 16
Well, the Logitechs may be worth a try after all- but i`d still rather pick up something like the Creative Aurvana Live.

That's kind of funny you would choose Creative over Logitech, since they have even less experience manufacturing headsets. At least Logitech is also known for their other headsets for gaming and Internet communication. LOL

May 27, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #14 of 16
Does Logitech have more experience in making quality headphones than Grado, Sennheiser and AKG?

Guess there`s no point in choosing a certain brand then.  If experience would determine which brands are best, then companies like Logitech and Creative would have never managed to make a profit selling headphones.

May 27, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #15 of 16
As I said, Logitech also makes gaming headphones and headsets for Internet communication, and has been doing so for many years. The UE6000 sound very good, so that's what matters most.

Brand name is not what matters. Sound quality matters. Most of us choose headphones here best on that criteria :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back