Slight rattling in left channel on my RS1's!!!
Sep 18, 2002 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 106

Fadamacka

100+ Head-Fier
This problem occurs when there are a lot of deep bassnotes.
I would suspect that me driving them with no amp could have something to do with it, but since the problem only seems to occur in the left channel, there could perhaps be signs of a "fubar" (a slight overstatement there, since the i only hear the rattling when i'm listening critically) element?
Or is it just lack of an amp?
My Ear+ arrives next week, so i guess i'll find out then... Any opinions that will help a poor person relax?
confused.gif

Sep 18, 2002 at 12:24 PM Post #2 of 106
Do a search on "grattle", the well-known Grado rattle. A possible cure has been suggested.

Sep 18, 2002 at 2:40 PM Post #3 of 106
Try plugging those grados into different amps/sources that possess headphone jacks. Turn it up to higher volumes and see if the rattle is very apparent and exists on all your equipment. Also you may want to reverse them and wear the left side on your right ear just to eliminate possibilities. Check also for stray hairs etc inside the left wooden enclosure. If it is complete free of obstruction then you may have damage to the diaphragm or it may have a wrinkle of some sort on it which is causing the distortion.

Sep 18, 2002 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 106
I agree with Hirsch I think its grado grattle. There is a solution but I think you would be better sending your rs1s back to grado for repair.To try and fix it yourself,especially if your not mechanically inclined,will result in additional damage.

Sep 19, 2002 at 9:50 AM Post #5 of 106
Ok, so the two main solutions to the problem is either playing them really loud for a while, or perform surgery on them :p If you guys think its safe to play them loud, i'll guess i'll try it.
rolleyes.gif

Man i hope i don't make it worse
frown.gif

Sep 19, 2002 at 3:16 PM Post #7 of 106
I second Blighty in that it could be something simpler.

I've had the same thing happen with my RS-2s and it turned out there was a strand of my hair sticking out of the cup, probably in contact with the diaphragm.

Also, I've had it happen when using headphones with my laptop. The left channel started cracking and at first I thought it was the headphones. Turned out to be the headphone jack of my computer.

Sep 19, 2002 at 3:50 PM Post #8 of 106
The "hair sticking through to touch the diaphragm" IS a pretty common problem. It's worth checking.

Dec 1, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #9 of 106
No, I have exactly the same problem with the 'grattle' on my RS1's. Why don't people mention stuff like this when they recommend these products?

I haven't got any hair sticking anywhere. I'm completely bald.

The worst think is I bought these off of this site: http://www.ornec.com/

I have no idea if they are official Grado resellers or not - as having just read the Grado site - it is saying warranties are only honoured when issued by official grado resellers.

I think I just got scewed over by Grado.

GJ

Dec 1, 2005 at 3:49 PM Post #10 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by raid517
No, I have exactly the same problem with the 'grattle' on my RS1's. Why don't people mention stuff like this when they recommend these products?

I haven't got any hair sticking anywhere. I'm completely bald.

The worst think is I bought these off of this site: http://www.ornec.com/

I have no idea if they are official Grado resellers or not - as having just read the Grado site - it is saying warranties are only honoured when issued by official grado resellers.

I think I just got scewed over by Grado.

GJ

Why do you say that you got screwed over by Grado? While the 'grattle' isn't your fault, it is one's responsibility to check on warranty conditions before buying any products. You should have checked to see if Ornec.com is an authorized Grado dealer before dealing with them.

Dec 1, 2005 at 3:57 PM Post #11 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
Why do you say that you got screwed over by Grado? While the 'grattle' isn't your fault, it is one's responsibility to check on warranty conditions before buying any products. You should have checked to see if Ornec.com is an authorized Grado dealer before dealing with them.

Well it isn't exactly Ornec's fault - they had no way of knowing there was a particular issue with some of these phones either.

And I did get screwed, because when you pay this kind of money, you don't expect faults.

Grado should almost certainly have much higher QC standards for their top line products.

In any case I never visited Grado's site before - I took my recommendations from here - and then direct to Ornec (after a Google search for a good price). I had no way of knowing that not only do they ship defective goods, but that also their warranty might not be up to scratch either.

Hardly the service you would expect when buying premier equipment.

Best regards,

GJ

Dec 1, 2005 at 3:59 PM Post #12 of 106
Your being naive there is always a chance for defects no matter the cost. Just becasue you don't have any hair still doesn't mean that there isn't something stuck in there causing the noise.

Dec 1, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #13 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by raid517
Hardly the service you would expect when buying premier equipment.

Why not take some action before going on a complaining binge. Contact the seller first, if they won't do anything then I'm almost positive Grado will make it right, this being a brand new and fairly pricey product.

If you get no help from either company, *then* complain. I don't get exactly what you're trying to accomplish (aside from merely venting).

Dec 1, 2005 at 4:13 PM Post #14 of 106
You should have understood the terms of the warranty before buying them. No one here mentions it, because its left to the discression of the buyer to understand warranty terms and conditions prior to purchasing.

I for one would NOT want to see a lengthy paragraph on every user impressions thread devoted to discussing warranty terms... when its CLEARLY stated on the Grado warranty paperwork(!!!)

You screwed yourself IMHO.

Now... with that out of the way, have you even attempted to contact the seller (first) or Grado labs?

Garrett

Dec 1, 2005 at 4:16 PM Post #15 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
Your being naive there is always a chance for defects no matter the cost. Just becasue you don't have any hair still doesn't mean that there isn't something stuck in there causing the noise.

A fault that can be reproduced is a fault. There have been several instances of this fault I have now read about on this forum with the RS1's - all with the left channel.

Moreover when these phones have been sent for repair, the repair has generally been 100% effective.

If the problem was just hair, then it would clearly affect many more units than it currently does - since hair is something most of us have.

The hair theory does not support why only one specific channel is ever affected.

It is not hair as I have uses a can of compressed air (used for cleaning computer keyboards etc) to clean out the internals - I have also tried all of the other tricks, such as playing at loud volumes with big baselines to try to dislodge any obstruction. This has had no effect.

As for the point of this... I guess I am really just expressing surprise. Nothing more than this at this time. I have paid for some quite expensive things in the past - and this really is the first time I recall having something like this fail on me.

Hopefully this company will resolve this issue for me.

Time will tell I guess.

GJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back