Sleeping IEM's
Aug 9, 2008 at 12:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Enthusia

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking for some IEM's that would be good for sleeping. I sometimes like to listen to music when I sleep, so I would like one that would be comfortable and when I lay on the side of my head, won't push into the side of my ear. Basically a nice fit. Right now I am thinking of the Westone UM1's and UM2's, but I bet there are more options out there!

Thanks,
David

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #2 of 21
One concern is hearing loss with prolonged exposure to loud sounds, so maybe you may need a player with a sleep timer as well.

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 21
And, not to rain on your parade entirely, but sleeping with IEMs or even just plain ear-plugs can definitely lead to infection. You have to be careful with that stuff! Especially if you know you are prone to infections.

Keeping the IEM's or earplugs from being very far into your canal can help lower the chance of infection greatly; but, you are looking for a fit where they will not protrude much. I'm not sure if this is safe for your ears.

I do have to emphasize the "I'm not sure" part of this as well as the safety part though.

Any Head-fi-ers out there who regularly sleep with IEM's?

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 21
I recommend the UM2!

it fits flush to my ear lobe and is hard to tell your wearing it when laid on it.

I have used many small iems while sleeping and all the others where uncomfortably.

I have used it for over a year and never had a problem with!

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 21
I sleep with my um1s all the time. no pain, no infections, and no hearing loss

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #6 of 21
Have fallen comfortably asleep with UM2s, Livewires T1s and APS ER4-Ps.

Always ensure you're volume level is low, as advised earlier.

And, of course, be ready to be awoken if you have it on shuffle on with potential for rock tracks to show up in the mix
redface.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #7 of 21
Ancillary question to go along with the OPs...how do you guys who wear IEMs while sleeping deal with the wires? I'd strangle myself in the first hour if I tried to wear any sort of headphone or IEM while sleeping.

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #8 of 21
Haha.

I have only ever managed to get the cable around my neck once in 5 years!!

I may not move much in my sleep though...

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #9 of 21
I sleep with my se530's all the time. I normally disenfect them and my ears (feels weird saying that) before I put them on and listen in bed. No in infections yet, and I'm quite prone to them (hence the dozens of bottles of disinfectant around the house). Those are really comfortable, roll around on your bed all you like. I worry about the cables though.

If you get a chance invest in a sanasa fuze, its got a nice sleep timer. Although I wouldn't recommend sleeping with Iem's unless you have someone to wake you up or your going to bed really early..... anyone need an alarm clock, I got one I dont use anymore.....

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #10 of 21
i use marshmallows for sleep listening. they sound good at low volumes and pricewise compared to these iem's you guys are mentioning, they're disposable.

Aug 9, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #11 of 21
Sounds like the Westone UM1/2's are still my best bet. Livewires are very interesting, but I have no time or clue on where to get custom moldings for my ears. Other than that, one more question, what kind of disinfectant would be good for iem's? alchohol / hydrogen peroxide?

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by wcp6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe get a set of speakers and just listen at low volumes? Seems ideal to me if possible (not too loud for roomies)

I dorm, so that would not be kind to my roommate.

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #15 of 21
Yeah, the q-JAYS are an option too. However, if you wear the cable around the ears, you have to switch the buds from right to left so that they fit comfortably in your ears. Also, the tips don't go deep in to the ear canal unless you use smaller tips, which would help you reduce your chance of infections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back