Sleek/Slim Portable headphones for flights
Mar 31, 2011 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rage3324

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a new pair of portable closed headphones for travel purposes. My budget is around $150-$200.

What I want:

Good for movies and music (rock mostly)
Clear highs, solid mids, punchy lows but with enough impact for movies
Good noise cancellation (not powered) for flights
Portable - Prefer a set that folds and has a slim design
Includes a case is a nice plus

The DJ1 pros are my top choice at the moment, however I think the cups might be too big. Based on portability, the Klipsch seem to be the logical choice..but I am not sure they offer great sound quality.

So are there any candidates out there that have a design like bose and klipsch, but are actually worth their price?

Apr 1, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #2 of 9
bump

Apr 1, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #3 of 9
Best I would suggest is the Sennheiser HD25.  Perhaps the best isolating headphone for flying.  I would recommend IEMs for flying though, better package and performance in everyway when it comes to flying.  

Apr 1, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Best I would suggest is the Sennheiser HD25.  Perhaps the best isolating headphone for flying.  I would recommend IEMs for flying though, better package and performance in everyway when it comes to flying.  

I currently have IEMs, but they can be uncomfortable for longer flights. So looking for other options

How do they compare to Phiaton MS 400s and ultrasone DJ1 and klipsch image ones?

Apr 1, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
I currently have IEMs, but they can be uncomfortable for longer flights. So looking for other options

So can headphones.  Weight on the head, pressure on the ears, clamping pressure, sweaty ears, extra bulk (potty calls, security screening and luggage space).  Plus you will have to listen louder due to less isolation.

If you had IEMs that you could wear comfortably for 10 hours, would that solve your problem?

Apr 1, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
So can headphones.  Weight on the head, pressure on the ears, clamping pressure, sweaty ears, extra bulk (potty calls, security screening and luggage space).  Plus you will have to listen louder due to less isolation.

If you had IEMs that you could wear comfortably for 10 hours, would that solve your problem?

Possibly. I currently have etymotic research er6i. I love the SQ but just become uncomfortable after awhile. I figure, I can use them and a pair of headphones depending on my mood and needs. I figure headphones will provide better sound stage for movies

Apr 1, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #7 of 9
have to second the IEM for flying rec. simply no comparison. and I was pleased to note that while there used to be way too many of those unmentionable bulky noise-cancellors on wobbly heads, now when I fly there are often at least a few IEMs, and recently I even sat behind a UE custom (while, in fact, listening to a UE custom IEM myself). I suppressed the temptation to tap his shoulder and find out what model. - more helpfully though, if you like your ER6i currently, you can increase comfort by using comply tips, and perhaps try some aloe gel before or after in your ears to soothe them if it's a really long flight. the ACS custom tips for Etys are also worth a look, at $100.

Apr 3, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #8 of 9
I really want to find a nice pair of portable over the ear headphones to supplement by IEMs. So lets assume IEMs are out of the question for now

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #9 of 9
bump

Users who are viewing this thread

Back