Sleek SA6's or UE Triple Fi 10?
Jun 12, 2008 at 12:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

robojack

500+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of upgrading to a new set of IEMs in next couple months or so, and I've narrowed my choices (based on the budget I decided to allocate) to either the Sleek SA6's or the UE Triple Fi 10.

I'd like to hear your opinions (particularly those who've heard both before) on which you feel has better SQ, as well as the build itself.

Jun 12, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #3 of 25
By SQ alone, TF10 has better balance across all spectrum, but SA6 is more musical with a sweet mid.

By build quality, TF10 wins but SA6 is backed by a solid warranty and Sleek Audio is alway quick on responses.

By comfort, SA6 wins. I like TF10 with foam, but SA6 simply is more comfortable.

In short (and IMO), get TF10 if money (and comfort) is no object. Get SA6 if you like a more lively, musical sounding IEM with the ease of use. If I have to give up one of them, I'll probably keep SA6.

Jun 12, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 25
I'm not sure that those two are in the same league. I'd imagine the TF10 trounces the SA6 in all categories except possibly comfort, but unless the TF10 is enormously different in shape than the SF5P I used to own, they'll be plenty comfortable if you wear them right.

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #5 of 25
Thanks for your replies. I'm looking for something capable of producing very deep bass tones. I'm currently using the FS Atrio M5, so I need something that'll ensure an easy transition over.

I've heard that the TF10 produce lots of mid bass, but not much lower bass tones. How is it with the Sleek SA6's? Would using the + (or ++, if there is one) bass plug result in low-bass tone bass?

Jun 18, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure that those two are in the same league. I'd imagine the TF10 trounces the SA6 in all categories except possibly comfort, but unless the TF10 is enormously different in shape than the SF5P I used to own, they'll be plenty comfortable if you wear them right.

Have you even heard either of them?

Jun 18, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Triple .fi by a landslide. I will be very surprised if the SA6 gets a single nod here.

Nods singly...
tongue.gif

The SA6 is not only leagues more comfortable, but its overall sound is balanced, with well-defined treble and bass and a mid range that squashes the Triple. Fi like a bug on your windshield. Not bad soundstage for an IEM either.

I currently own the UE11, SA6 and FreqShow. The SA6 more than holds its ground, and on many recordings, bests both customs. The TripleFi doesn't.

Jun 18, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #9 of 25
I have to go with SA6 also, especially with the new treble ports. They're not neutral, and have a little peakiness here and there, but are amazingly pleasurable to listen to.

I find the Triple.Fi quite unmusical. The SA6 is kind of like an outsider product that no-one expects to work, yet it does. Like a slightly flawed ER4 but with real soul. Also a second "yay" on soundstage.

A second nod!

Jun 18, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #10 of 25
A third nod here.

I still think TF10 is better 'overall' for a more balance tone (neutral), but SA6 has very strong sonic character that make certain genres of music just sounds so much better on it than on TF10, especially vocal and Jazz IMO. I can easily imagine people who like warm and lively music fall in love w/ SA6.

Jun 18, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #11 of 25
Wow, high praise indeed. Never tried the TFs or other higher priced phones, but those two posts make me feel good about giving the Sleeks a try. Of course, right now I am listening to de-podded IM716s ($20 for the phones, $20 for the mod) through the MiniboxE+, so value is critical. Anyway, glad to see that it's not such a clear-cut decision when it comes to TF10s vs. the SA6s (or even high-priced IEMs).

Jun 18, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, high praise indeed. Never tried the TFs or other higher priced phones, but those two posts make me feel good about giving the Sleeks a try. Of course, right now I am listening to de-podded IM716s ($20 for the phones, $20 for the mod) through the MiniboxE+, so value is critical. Anyway, glad to see that it's not such a clear-cut decision when it comes to TF10s vs. the SA6s (or even high-priced IEMs).

I don't think you will be displeased by the SA6. There is enough modification in sound with the treble & bass tubes to find "your audio fingerprint", and outside of the SE530, I haven't had a universal IEM as comfortable.

Jun 18, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #13 of 25
ClieOS's recent review (of 12 IEMs, http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rev...mpared-335851/), implied that the SA6's build quality was relatively weak compared to the TF10's, does anyone agree with that? If so, what are some of the issues people have had with their SA6s, in terms of physical defects and build issues?

Jun 18, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ClieOS's recent review (of 12 IEMs, http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rev...mpared-335851/), implied that the SA6's build quality was relatively weak compared to the TF10's, does anyone agree with that? If so, what are some of the issues people have had with their SA6s, in terms of physical defects and build issues?

The build quality suffers a bit because of the modular design. The treble tips are very small pieces of plastic, clicking into the plastic earpiece. Swap them out enough, and you will likely run into a problem. I had one earpiece replaced because of this, as I swapped numerous times trying to find the perfect sound signature. The plastic tube of the earpiece eventually cracked a little, but it still held the treble tips in place. I contacted Jason and he immediately sent a replacement. Since then, I have had no issues at all. My cable is fine, even with the repeated coiling and uncoiling from the carrying case, and no other problems or potential problems I've seen.

I will certainly agree the TF10's built very solidly, and that is just about the only plus I think of in relation to the SA6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back