Sleek Custom, C3 or FreqShow?
Nov 18, 2008 at 9:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

judestudio

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 9, 2006
Posts
143
Likes
0
Aaarrh!! I lost my SE530 on the plane!

Oh well, life goes on. I've done my grieving and now I'm moving on....to custom IEM!

I wanna get either the Sleek Custom, Alien Ears (Hearyourself) C3 or the FreqShow (not the Livewires, I don't like the cable position).

I have read as many past threads as I can but before I pull the plug, I very much appreciate a little reassurance.

My music preference:
Classical, pop, jazz, not so much rock and heavy stuff. I'd also like to use it as an on-stage monitor, so details, definition and clarity will be priorities.

Thanks guys, really really appreciate your help!!
 
Nov 18, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #4 of 19

judestudio

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 9, 2006
Posts
143
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Freq is history, for now. They stop taking order since few months back. Check Eyes comparisons since he own most of the custom known to mankind haha


Yea, I know about the Freq, according to their website, they're back in the new year, I can wait if it's really great stuff. I'm kinda hoping Eyes is going to drop by? LOL.

I might give him a PM if he doesn't. Will be great to hear what others have to say too!
 
Nov 18, 2008 at 10:37 AM Post #5 of 19

judestudio

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 9, 2006
Posts
143
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjtx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the C3 is similar in Sound Sig to the SE530 and isolates about the same.

That might be the way to go.



Ah! Thanks Tom. To be honest, SE530 was never perfect for me, the highs were too roll off for the sort of stuff I listen to (female vocals, classical and jazz). The Triple.fi probably would have served me better, but I couldn't stand having antennas sticking out my head
tongue_smile.gif


So now that I'm in the market for new IEMs, I would probably try something new.

Thanks the input so far guys!
 
Nov 18, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 19

EyeAmEye

Aka: ulogin.
Joined
Mar 13, 2003
Posts
2,776
Likes
10
Don't wait for the Freqs. I am not trying to trash them, but both the C3 and Sleek are better options. The C3 shares the same sound signature as the FreQ, but is clearer and a bit more lively.

Between the Sleek and C3, it really depends on your listening preferences. Since your previous IEM was the SE530, you may want to go with the C3, as it sounds closer to the Shure than the Sleek.

Quite comparison:
Sleek - brighter, more treble energy/detail, more overall detail, leaner bass, more prominent midrange
C3- darker, smoother, bigger bass, rolled off treble, smooth midrange
Both are equally comfortable. Build quality is good on both. C3 is a little lighter and the Sleek feels more solid.

I personally prefer the Sleek to C3. If it helps you any, I was not a fan of the SE530 and greatly preferred the TripleFi10.

Last wrinkle is upgrade possibilities. As of right now, you can readily find DIY cables for the C3. No options other than stock cable for Sleek. Being a fan of the Sleek SQ, this wasn't really an issue for me, but it might be for others. C3 does benefit from upgrading to the UE custom cable.
 
Nov 18, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #7 of 19

pseudohippy

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 14, 2008
Posts
943
Likes
16
You also have the option of wireless with the sleek if you want to pay for it of course and for me the wireless adds a little bass. You can also ask Sleek to tune them for more bass but Im not sure how it actually turns out. I think I am heading for the Sleek customs based on my preferance for their sig slightly over my 530's. In a perfect world Id have 530 bass with everthing else like Sleek.
 
Nov 18, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 19

FrederikS|TPU

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 29, 2007
Posts
1,298
Likes
12
I will just chime in here. I got the Sleek customs and the LiveWires, I prefer the Sleeks to the LiveWires for the exact same reason you EyeAmEye prefers his to the C3s. The midrange and treble of the Sleeks are very nice and the build quality is good to boot. If you like bass heavy cans you are probably better off with a set of C3s (haven't heard them supposedly bass heavy) or LiveWires, got those plenty of bass for my licking (I'm not a bass head).
 
Nov 18, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #9 of 19

EyeAmEye

Aka: ulogin.
Joined
Mar 13, 2003
Posts
2,776
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by pseudohippy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You also have the option of wireless with the sleek if you want to pay for it of course and for me the wireless adds a little bass. You can also ask Sleek to tune them for more bass but Im not sure how it actually turns out. I think I am heading for the Sleek customs based on my preferance for their sig slightly over my 530's. In a perfect world Id have 530 bass with everthing else like Sleek.


Ah, I had forgotten the wireless option. It does indeed add some bass.
 
Nov 18, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #10 of 19

judestudio

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 9, 2006
Posts
143
Likes
0
Ah! Thanks for dropping by, Eye! And thanks for everyone commented as well.

General consensus seems to lean towards Sleek, and sound signature suits my classical/jazz listening too. But hey, I know bass is less on the Sleeks than the others, but would you call it anemic?

This seems silly to ask, but how does a single driver beat the 3 drivers on cleanliness and clarity? I thought having multiple drivers would have the advantage of covering more details over the spectrum of sound...?
 
Nov 18, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #12 of 19

EyeAmEye

Aka: ulogin.
Joined
Mar 13, 2003
Posts
2,776
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by judestudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah! Thanks for dropping by, Eye! And thanks for everyone commented as well.

General consensus seems to lean towards Sleek, and sound signature suits my classical/jazz listening too. But hey, I know bass is less on the Sleeks than the others, but would you call it anemic?

This seems silly to ask, but how does a single driver beat the 3 drivers on cleanliness and clarity? I thought having multiple drivers would have the advantage of covering more details over the spectrum of sound...?




I would not call the Sleek bass anemic. I do, however, believe all the other customs have various levels of bloated bass (C3, FreQ and UE11), that range from mostly enjoyable (UE11, C3) to often unenjoyable (FreQ).

I don't know a lick about the technical aspects, but the proof is in the hearing
icon10.gif
 
Nov 19, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #13 of 19

judestudio

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 9, 2006
Posts
143
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would not call the Sleek bass anemic. I do, however, believe all the other customs have various levels of bloated bass (C3, FreQ and UE11), that range from mostly enjoyable (UE11, C3) to often unenjoyable (FreQ).

I don't know a lick about the technical aspects, but the proof is in the hearing
icon10.gif



Eye, how "roll off" is C3's treble? SE530 had the same problem, when it comes to female vocal and orchestral pieces, the highs are like hidden somewhere, which made me very very irritated. Is the C3 as bad?
 
Nov 19, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #14 of 19

tomjtx

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 11, 2007
Posts
563
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by judestudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eye, how "roll off" is C3's treble? SE530 had the same problem, when it comes to female vocal and orchestral pieces, the highs are like hidden somewhere, which made me very very irritated. Is the C3 as bad?


The C3 is at least as rolled off as the SE530. If you don't like the 530 I don't think you will like the C3.
 
Nov 19, 2008 at 9:14 AM Post #15 of 19

Mat Bon 0013

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 11, 2003
Posts
291
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quite comparison:
Sleek - brighter, more treble energy/detail, more overall detail, leaner bass, more prominent midrange
C3- darker, smoother, bigger bass, rolled off treble, smooth midrange
Both are equally comfortable. Build quality is good on both. C3 is a little lighter and the Sleek feels more solid.



How would you place the Sleek customs with the ER4 in terms of sound signature?
What was the preferences on your Sleek Customs i.e. Treble +/- and Bass +/-.
Actually what I'm geared towards is, customs that sounds as close as possible to the ER4s. Cheers!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top