Sleek Audio SA6 vs. Ultrasone HIFI780?
Mar 21, 2008 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

AzraelDarkangel

500+ Head-Fier
Noticed alot of recommendations for both and both are similar price range. They are very different but I was wonder if anyone has both of these? How do they compare out of a good but un-amplified source, something like the Cowon D2 for example?

Mar 21, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 6
I'm highly interested in what people here think of the Sleek SA6s.

My CX300s recently died on me (£20 phones only lasted two years, booo! :p), so I'm in the market for some new IEMs.

Being a bass guitar player, I like fairly heavy bass from my music, so the Sleek's bass pod thingy seems like it'd be good... And I love the design/look of them
wink.gif

But now I've come on here and seen sooo many other brands and models to look at! Argh!

Mar 21, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 6
My guess is that the HFI-780 will be better if you want better sound quality but the SA6 definitely wins on portability.

I say if it's going to be used portably, get the SA6. If not, get the HFI-780. Simple as that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My guess is that the HFI-780 will be better if you want better sound quality but the SA6 definitely wins on portability.

I say if it's going to be used portably, get the SA6. If not, get the HFI-780. Simple as that.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the key may be unamped sound. Unamped, the HFI-780 still sounds good, but edges out the ES7 only by a small margin (at least for me, and the ES7 is apparently supposed to be totally outclassed). So I could actually see the SA6 sounding "better" than the HFI-780, except maybe in sound-stage and bass impact (The ES7 actually had more bass impact at one stage of the 780 burn-in).

I may get the SA6 in a few weeks, so I'll get a better impression then.

Mar 22, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

I'd wager it's not quite as simple as that especially seeing as you haven't heard the HFI-780. I haven't heard them either but I would take the SA6's over almost all the full-sized headphones I've heard so far so I wouldn't think it's quite so simple as just because the HFI-780's are full-sized they automatically beat out the SA6's.

Mar 22, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #6 of 6
I can't answer your question in full, having not heard the SA6, but I have some questions for you that will help others assist your choice. Both will isolate fairly well, and my 780's don't leak much sound at all (they leak less than my Edition 9).

What kind of music do you listen to? (rock, electronic and new age are best with HFI-780, jazz and acoustic is still pretty good, classical might not be the best with either)

Do you prefer the soundstage of full sized cans that interact with your outer ear? (the HFI780 are wide but not deep, unless you re-cable)

How much portable and how much home listening will you do? (IEM are easier portable, with DAP in a shirt pocket)

Will you be laying down with them or falling asleep with them? (IEM that go in deep like SA6 win)

Will you be listening for extended periods of time? (you may get itchy ear canals like me after a while, or you may find the 780 clamp too much but can be stretched out)

Have you tried IEM before, so you know if you are comfortable with something deep in your ears?

Do you mind pulling out an IEM every time someone tries to talk to you, or is lifting a full size can off your ear better? (780 win here, because my wife can lift them off after the 3rd time she tries to get my attention)

Are you okay with not being able to tune the treble on the 780, which can be bright with some sources or amps? (choosing an amp to control the bass and treble is one way, or stuffing the inside of the 780 with dampening material is another, re-cabling is another)

Do you like to burn in headphones for 300-500 straight hours before you like the sound enough to keep them? (then the HFI780 are not for you unless you get the ALO modded ones, then they sound good in 50 hours and are fully burned-in by 200).

Do you like to be totally immersed in the music and be mesmerized by the music? (you want to get up and get a drink, but can't bring yourself to un-plug from your home rig to go get it, then the HFI780 are for you).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back