Sleater-Kinney?
Nov 7, 2002 at 4:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
Can girls rock? Are you afraid of girls that rock??? I mean rock like AC/DC? Rock like Led Zeppelin? Like the Who?

(BTW: it's pronounced "slay-ter-kinnee". It refers to the freeway street exits in Washington where the band lives, and where they're from.) If you have the chance to see them live-- take it!! This is one of the great live rock 'n roll bands *EVER*. Girls or no...

So-- can girls rock? The answer is: YES!!!! Girls can most definitely rock! All you need to do is check out the following S-K albums:

1. "Dig Me Out" (1996). This is an HDCD release, and by far the most rockin' S-K release so far.

2. "One Beat" (2002) -- Their latest album and second best.

3. "All Hands on The Bad One" (2000)-- album number 4 and a great effort.

Mark

Nov 7, 2002 at 5:17 AM Post #2 of 8
I first heard Sleater Kinney around when Dig Me Out first came out, and I can't say it's ever grabbed me. The unusual vocals appealed to me at first, but these days it seems more like a gimmick than anything else. Still very competent stuff, just not really my bag.

Nov 7, 2002 at 7:22 AM Post #3 of 8
Sleater-Kinney rocks! Their drummer Janet can really kick ass on the drums. They have a sort of unique setup with two girls on vocals and guitars + a drummer with no bass player. Right now I like All Hands on the Bad One a little better than One Beat but that could be because All Hands on the Bad One was the first album of theirs I listened to. I plan on picking up Dig Me Out one of these days too.

Nov 7, 2002 at 1:47 PM Post #4 of 8
S-K sound pretty cool, I have checked into thier stuff many times and "almost" picked up some used Cds, in this similar type of newer girl band sound that "rock" I really like:
-L7
-Elastica
-Hole ("live through this" only)
-Veruca Salt
-Breeders ("last splash" only)
-Lunachicks
-Throwing Muses
-etc, etc.

Nov 7, 2002 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 8
I really like One Beat, though I think the "hiccupy" vocals are something you'll either love or hate.

Did any one else catch them on Conan O'Brian last week they gave a really good performance.

Nov 8, 2002 at 1:02 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel

-L7
-Elastica
-Hole ("live through this" only)
-Veruca Salt
-Breeders ("last splash" only)
-Lunachicks
-Throwing Muses
-etc, etc.

If you like all of these bands, you should check out Halogen from Australia. The music is pretty much middle of the road guitar rock, but those vocals...I fell in love immediately
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2002 at 7:38 AM Post #7 of 8
My favorite girl bands are Scissor Girls (a more accessible group that sounds A LOT like them is Erase Errata), and... um..

I don't know. I like lots of bands with female members, but all-girl bands.... Scissor Girls. Yes. I've been listening to their few albums for years (they broke up in like 97) and it still amazes me that anyone (girls, no less!) can make such wonderfully creative, abrasive, scary music!

Oh, and Sleater Kinney.. never much got into them. I did see Heavens to Betsy and Excuse 17 in 1994, though, and those're the bands they came from...

Nov 8, 2002 at 5:48 PM Post #8 of 8
DA,
Based on that list, you should go for it.

Dig Me Out is the hardest and most manic of their records, and therefore my favorite (but as someone mentioned the singer's voice might be off-putting for some). Maybe "One Beat" is a better place to start?

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back