Slacker G2 portable
Nov 2, 2008 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Navybsn

100+ Head-Fier
Anybody tried one of these yet?

Amazon.com: Slacker G2 8 GB 40-Station Personal Radio Player: Electronics

8 gb of storage is equal to my nano. More than enough music for me. I have last.fm now, and I like it. Slacker seems to be along the same lines. Updates via wi-fi. Most reviews I've seen say the sound quality is CD like. Looks like it would be a good replacement for my Sirius unit.

Thoughts?

Nov 2, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navybsn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody tried one of these yet?

Amazon.com: Slacker G2 8 GB 40-Station Personal Radio Player: Electronics

8 gb of storage is equal to my nano. More than enough music for me. I have last.fm now, and I like it. Slacker seems to be along the same lines. Updates via wi-fi. Most reviews I've seen say the sound quality is CD like. Looks like it would be a good replacement for my Sirius unit.

Thoughts?

Sadly, this does not seem to be available in the UK

Best Wishes
David

Nov 10, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #3 of 11
bigsmile_face.gif

30 day free trial from Slacker, i just ordered one.

Nov 10, 2008 at 10:03 AM Post #4 of 11
SQ is supposed to be quite horrible, and that's coming from cnet. Nice reused concept really, just not what it could be, and no video on that 320X240 screen? What a waste of potential really. Hopefully, urabus, you can tell us if cnet is full of crap, as usual. We await you review!!!

Nov 10, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 11
Crappy SQ huh?
frown.gif
Oh well good thing there's the 30 day trial.... I'm really trying this out because I read that there's going to be a Blackberry/Slacker application and ultimately I'd use this programming thing on the Blackberry.

Nov 16, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 11
Ive had my Slacker G2 for about 2 weeks now.
I love it ,
I got tired of my mp3 collection and this thing loads up tons of music every time you plug it in the charger . It automatically connects to your Wifi..and the Slacker site.

Sound quality is much better than satellite radio...
You gotta try it !
Best Buy has them in stock (they dont have them on display...and they dont know anything about them..)

Nov 16, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #7 of 11
Which model did you get, trying to weight if the higher price model is really worth it as it mainly queuing what could be play from your playlist of the avialble stations.

Nov 16, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by urabus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Crappy SQ huh?
frown.gif
Oh well good thing there's the 30 day trial.... I'm really trying this out because I read that there's going to be a Blackberry/Slacker application and ultimately I'd use this programming thing on the Blackberry.

The SQ cannot compare to what you aree encoding and using, as this is mainly a streaming format. I do find Slacker's streams are of higher quality than Pandoras.
Each of the streaming has its place, esp for those that create custom playlists.

It looks from a device usage the camps are as follows:
Pandora = iphone
Slacker= their own device or Blackberry. I really doubt Slacker will come to the Iphone as Slacker is not providing a direct link to itunes to buy whatever is playing.

Nov 16, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #9 of 11
I got the 4gb unit , I didnt feel it was necessary to get the 8 gb...
4 gb is way more than enough storage when you refresh your music every time you charge.
The extra storage may be good for those who wish to put their own mp3s on the player , or save a currently playing song .
and the sound quality is preety damn good..and so is the battery life!

Nov 16, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks, I am sold then. I have been switching between Slacker and Pandora at work, but would rather have something that I can take along with me, on trips.

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #11 of 11
Any long term verdict on the G2? I just got a Blackberry Storm and am trying to get Slacker working on it (cache mode isn't playing nice with my Mac). It sounds so-so on the Blackberry. Certainly not audiophile, but it will work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back