SLA powered Airhead?
Feb 15, 2009 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Acrog

Head-Fier
I haven't found a wall wart that doesn't introduce a fair amount of audible noise to my airhead, so I whipped up a simple SLA power supply. All it is is a 6v 4.5Ah (sealed) lead acid battery soldered to a male 5.5mm plug. The 6v seems to be the perfect size for stacking with the airhead/ipod. Runs forever without recharging.

Is there any danger in using this? Only downside i've found is that it weighs about a kg. This is perfect for desk use because I don't have to waste stupid AAA batteries.

It has been running fine for the last few weeks. I'll post picks if anyone wants to see. Does anyone have questions or comments, or should I get rid of the battery before my system explodes?

Feb 15, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't found a wall wart that doesn't introduce a fair amount of audible noise to my airhead, so I whipped up a simple SLA power supply. All it is is a 6v 4.5Ah (sealed) lead acid battery soldered to a male 5.5mm plug. The 6v seems to be the perfect size for stacking with the airhead/ipod. Runs forever without recharging.

Is there any danger in using this? Only downside i've found is that it weighs about a kg. This is perfect for desk use because I don't have to waste stupid AAA batteries.

It has been running fine for the last few weeks. I'll post picks if anyone wants to see. Does anyone have questions or comments, or should I get rid of the battery before my system explodes?

No danger unless you short circuit something. In principle, it's a nice idea!

Feb 15, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll post picks if anyone wants to see.

Yes please!

How r u charging the battery?

Feb 15, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 5
I'm charging the battery with a solar charger I had. Takes all day on a sunny day, but the battery last forever. I test it with my meter and constantly it is ~6v.

IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

That duck tape covered thing is a line out dock I modded to remove the volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back