SL550 or Jaguar XKR?
Mar 24, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #46 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnoldsoccer4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forgive me for asking Sleestack, and please disregard my question if it is too personal, but what do you and your father in law do for a living?

Televangelists.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #48 of 73
Vintage I'd look for a Jaguar XKE convertible or a late fifties Mercedes 300gullwing coupe.

New I can't help you. I only wish I had the kind of money where I could consider a new BMW as "not nice enough". But the Maserati Quattroporte does look sharp.

Mar 31, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #51 of 73
It's really tough choices, but why limit yourself to those two cars???

-MBenz SL550
-BMW M6
-Audi R8
-Caddy XLR-V
-Aston Martin V8 Vantage
-Porsche 911 S4
-Jaguar XKR

I think all are super nice in its own way. But personally I'd go with AMV8. Why? Because you'd be James Bond, not German.

Mar 31, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #52 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's really tough choices, but why limit yourself to those two cars???

-MBenz SL550
-BMW M6
-Audi R8
-Caddy XLR-V
-Aston Martin V8 Vantage
-Porsche 911 S4
-Jaguar XKR

I think all are super nice in its own way. But personally I'd go with AMV8. Why? Because you'd be James Bond, not German.

Again. This is a gift for the father in law. He doesn't like any of the brands you have mentioned except MB & Aston Martin. I'm not even sure he'll like the XKR. He has already owned multiple Porsches. He is 70 and over that. Thanks anyway.

Mar 31, 2007 at 1:37 PM Post #53 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again. This is a gift for the father in law. He doesn't like any of the brands you have mentioned except MB & Aston Martin. I'm not even sure he'll like the XKR. He has already owned multiple Porsches. He is 70 and over that. Thanks anyway.

If you need an old man's car, MB, Jag, Bentley and Aston Martin are bit more softer than Audi, BMW, Porsche, Ferrari and Maserati.

Go with AMV8. Beauty vs. Beast.

Mar 31, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #54 of 73
Quote:

Why do you want to buy him a car? Sounds like the guy doesnt need one. Maybe something else should be considered.
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #55 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you need an old man's car, MB, Jag, Bentley and Aston Martin are bit more softer than Audi, BMW, Porsche, Ferrari and Maserati.

Go with AMV8. Beauty vs. Beast.

AMV8 isn't available in a slushbox yet and the DB9 is more than I want to spend on his car.

Mar 31, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #56 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you want to buy him a car? Sounds like the guy doesnt need one. Maybe something else should be considered.
biggrin.gif

He wants another car, so I figured I'd get it for him as thanks for the CC membership he bought me. I can't quite afford to get him a car that cost as much as the membership, but fortunately his taste in cars is very low key.

Mar 31, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #57 of 73
Did we mention Maserati? There's a new one coming out called the GranTurismo. Gorgeous car. It's probably going to be selling M6 prices.w

And then there's the new CL65 AMG. The first 40 are limited edition. That might be quite an attractive choice even though you said he's had CLs all his life. This one is different
wink.gif

One more car, the Aston Martin Rapide, whose production has been confirmed! Definitely special. It'll probably sell for more than the DB9 though. Or you could wait for the next gen Vanquish, dubbed the DBX.

Bentley Continental GTC? Open top, gorgeous looking. If you could stretch that far, an Azure would be very nice
very_evil_smiley.gif

2006-Bentley-Azure-Convertible-SA-Plaza-Hotel-1280x960.jpg

2008-Mercedes-Benz-CL65-AMG-Front-Angle-1280x960.jpg

2007-Maserati-GranTurismo-Front-And-Side-1280x960.jpg

Mar 31, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #58 of 73
Quote:

My father in law definitely doesn't care about keeping up with the Joneses b/c financially, he can do anything he wants. He just doesn't care so much about certain things and has a respectable sense of frugality.

Here's a different idea. How about a Volkswagen Phaeton. I've never seen one in person but they look like they might be just the ticket for your gift. It's a comfortable sedan. It's really rare. The only question is about it's reliability. VW has been having issues recently but I have no clue about the Phaeton.

This is somewhat late. Have you chosen your gift already?

Mar 31, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #59 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a different idea. How about a Volkswagen Phaeton. I've never seen one in person but they look like they might be just the ticket for your gift. It's a comfortable sedan. It's really rare. The only question is about it's reliability. VW has been having issues recently but I have no clue about the Phaeton.

This is somewhat late. Have you chosen your gift already?

I was going to mention this one if no one else did! QFT!

Apr 1, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #60 of 73
Quote:

You're talking about a man who has a healthy 9 digit net worth but has chosen to drive CL500s for the past 15 years. He isn't into sports cars and prefers heavy 2 door corporate cruisers with sufficient power. The 430 would be for me...

9 digit net worth??????
was he the one that sold north korea nuclear technology?

if he distributes fireworks there is a chance my dad knows him =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back