Skullcandy Smokin Buds earbuds.
Mar 1, 2009 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Anti-Hero

100+ Head-Fier
I need a pair of "throwaway" buds for goin to the gym. something that i wont mind ruining or getting stolen. I dont want a piece of crap pair that will fall apart while im jogging, and sound like satan taking a piss in my ear, though. for $30 do these have decent sound/build quality?

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #2 of 18
For $30, get the JLabs J2. Much better than the Skullcandies.

If you can stretch a bit, you can start entering the audiophile realm with the Head-Direct RE2.

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #3 of 18
yeah, those skullcandies I tried had terrible quality.
(the bass was really over-amped and muddy, the highs were tinny and shrill, and I don't even know what was wrong with the mids.)

for throwaways, JVC marshmallows or the low end yuins.
maybe some bass freqs, too.

Mar 1, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, there is seriously nothing worse than skull candy. nothing. in fact, skull candy is worse than SARS.

come on guys, there's plenty worse than skullcandy. Just because they look ugly & they're marketed towards rapper-wannabe's, doesnt mean their iems are the worst in the world. They actually make pretty good iem's for the price. However, I would stay away from the smokin' buds. Get the ink'd buds (which are cheaper) for like 15 dollars at walmart or target. I've tried all the skullcandy iem's, and the smokin buds sound worst. Very muffled & distant sounding. Not only do the ink'd buds have stronger bass & better highs, they'll also be much cheaper, and are fairly solid as well. Just stay away from skullcandy's full size headphones. They truly do suck.

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 18
For $20, the Sony MDR-EX828 is hard to beat. For gym use, bass is decent, trebles are good but not grating; mids are down a bit, but it's passable for $20. Wal-mart!

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #7 of 18
Put out a $10 WTB ad for Apple iBuds. They're not that bad.

Everyone here has upgraded their headphones, so there are hundreds of unused pairs among members. If you lose them, then no problem getting another pair for $10.

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #8 of 18
Smokin Buds really are not that bad. The Skull Candy earbuds are actually good, for their price. And especially since the OP wants a "throw away" pair for the gym, these are perfect.

Mar 1, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #9 of 18
Try the OVC TC20's, i think there may be some for sale in the for sale forums, cheap and comfortable.

Mar 1, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #10 of 18
MX400 are awesomest earphones at that price range....great instrument separation..full details.

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #11 of 18
DealExtreme Orange IEM's? o.O throw em around for $3. Hell, order 5! Btw, I think the JLabs thing is offering 2 for $25 like after some rebate thing @ Amazon.com. I read about it in a thread. They're supposed to have great customer service or something.... OH! Almost forgot - SoundMagic PL10-20's? Maybe 30? DealExtreme FTW!

Mar 1, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #12 of 18
Most of the time when running I don't even think of sound quality.

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #13 of 18
there are so many phones better than skullcandies. please don't get them.
they're durability is crap, too. all my friends who use them go through like 3 pairs a month.

Mar 1, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #15 of 18
I will second the JVC Mallows. I've had the Bass Freq's but their cable durability is going to have you buying a new pair in a few months, especially if it is for gym use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back