Skullcandy Roc Nation Aviator vs. Sennheiser HD 448
Jun 24, 2011 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

sakageshinga

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I currently have the Aviator from Skullcandy.  It sounds pretty good with 320kb mp3 and lossless files, with good fidelity & acceptable bass.  However, anything lower than 192kb or has bad compression will sound a bit harsh.

An alternative I'm looking at is the Sennheiser HD 448, which I can get around $40 cheaper than the Aviator.  Unfortunately, my local retailer has to special order these and they have a no-return policy on headphones for sanitary reasons.  This basically means I cannot order these to try out.  As a result, I'm hoping someone on this forum has used these headphones and could maybe offer up some feedback regarding their sound quality.

I listen to a wide range of music (e.g. jazz, rock, classical, and some pop), and I'll be using this headphone on my iPod Classic 160gb without an amp.  In terms of bass, I definitely don't want it to overpower the vocals & highs, but neither do I want it to be virtually absent.  Should I keep the Aviator or get the HD 448?

Thanks!

Jun 24, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 20
Sanitary reasons for fullsized? I know they do that for IEM's but not fullsized.

Why go local? Most places I know, like bestbuy, sell the worst headphones possible, Bestbuy, Fry's all that.

What's your price range? $50? Because $100 would set you up with a good set of cans, like Grado - they would suit your music preference better. SR60i are $80. SR80i are $100

Jun 24, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 20
Thanks for your reply.  My budget is around $180 with tax included.  Keep in mind that I live in Canada, where everything is overpriced.  The HD 448 is apparently only around $100 in the States, but up here, it's around $160 before tax and I can get them for $140 everything included.

Jun 24, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #4 of 20

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.  My budget is around $180 with tax included.  Keep in mind that I live in Canada, where everything is overpriced.  The HD 448 is apparently only around $100 in the States, but up here, it's around $160 before tax and I can get them for $140 everything included.

Heya,

I've had the HD448's and sent them back to Amazon. They sound great and will serve you much better than those skull candies. My problem with them was that they didn't feel as sturdy, they felt a little too light for my comfort, and the ear-pads were plastic/leather isntead of cloth. The HD438 is pretty much the same as the HD448, but has more frequency response on the low end of the curve (ie, more bass) but more specifically has cloth pads which is a huge plus in my book (comfort). Unfortunately I don't like the weird `rims' design on the HD438's.

=1223&graphID[1]=1163&graphID[2]=533&graphID[3]=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones]Take a look at this.

If you can get the HD280 Pro's (dunno prices in Canada), that would be the step I would go to likely. They have the leather/plastic cups as well, which I don't care for, but everyone has their own taste.

Very best,

Jun 24, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 20

Quote:
Heya,

I've had the HD448's and sent them back to Amazon. They sound great and will serve you much better than those skull candies. My problem with them was that they didn't feel as sturdy, they felt a little too light for my comfort, and the ear-pads were plastic/leather isntead of cloth. The HD438 is pretty much the same as the HD448, but has more frequency response on the low end of the curve (ie, more bass) but more specifically has cloth pads which is a huge plus in my book (comfort). Unfortunately I don't like the weird `rims' design on the HD438's.

Take a look at this.

If you can get the HD280 Pro's (dunno prices in Canada), that would be the step I would go to likely. They have the leather/plastic cups as well, which I don't care for, but everyone has their own taste.

Very best,

I've heard of JR shipping the Senn HD598 to canada. I got mine for $180 and shipped. I love them, up there with my T50RP.

1. Senn are laid back, good for reading, surfing and gaming, but listenign to music needs the volume turned up and they still won't give you a good upfront sound. If your not focused on the music, you won't hear it as well. The HD598 are considered to be the rouge of the Senn line and being more upfront and alive. Which I find them laid back still, but better then most Senn.

2. If you want over ear, the HD598 are complete over ear and won't even touch your ears when they are one, my top pick for buying! I love them like this. I even modded my T50RP after this design.

3. But most Senn need amps. If your audio player or source if powerful, you won't need an amp. My hd598 play from my Cowon no problem but need my receiver from my computer. 

4. Anything is better then skullcandy

5. How about ATH-M50's? $150 and very popular. They are always rated as one of the best sub $200 headphones. 

Check out:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-84-portable-headphones-reviewed-fischer-audio-fa-004-koss-ur55-added-06-06

Jun 24, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 20
Yeah, if you use it in public, don't get the HD598 or any of the Grados.

I demo'd the Klipsch Image One against the Aviators at Best Buy and found the Klipsch to be rubbish. They have severely bloated bottom end that muddied up the rest of the spectrum fairly bad. They definitely don't seem to be the direction you're heading for. 

Given your criteria, perhaps you can look into the Shure SRH840, Audio Technica M50 or Ultrasone HFI 580. 

The Superlux line can be had for cheap, and have been getting great reviews, but I haven't heard any of them to be sure. 

Good luck on your search. Let us know what you come up with. 

Jun 24, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #8 of 20
Wow, us Canadians are really getting gouged on headphones...it's 199.99 plus 12% tax where Amazon.com it's $140 + tax...  Ridiculous especially if you consider that CAD is worth more than USD right now.

I might pick up a pair from Amazon US.  Anyone know what the MAXIMUM duty+tax I could be hit with?

Thanks!

Jun 24, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 20

Quote:
Yeah, if you use it in public, don't get the HD598 or any of the Grados.

I demo'd the Klipsch Image One against the Aviators at Best Buy and found the Klipsch to be rubbish. They have severely bloated bottom end that muddied up the rest of the spectrum fairly bad. They definitely don't seem to be the direction you're heading for. 

Given your criteria, perhaps you can look into the Shure SRH840, Audio Technica M50 or Ultrasone HFI 580. 

The Superlux line can be had for cheap, and have been getting great reviews, but I haven't heard any of them to be sure. 

Good luck on your search. Let us know what you come up with. 

Have fun waiting for 3 months on getting the Superlux, they are sold off of China and Japan. Not worth the time and effort

Quote:
Wow, us Canadians are really getting gouged on headphones...it's 199.99 plus 12% tax where Amazon.com it's $140 + tax...  Ridiculous especially if you consider that CAD is worth more than USD right now.

I might pick up a pair from Amazon US.  Anyone know what the MAXIMUM duty+tax I could be hit with?

Thanks!

Get a pair of Grado Sr80i and a pair of G-cush pads to go along with them.

The SR80i are not uncomftable and I can wear mine for hours. But the pad on the with sideburn kill me. So the G-cush pads will fix that.

I use them as my portable set and I wear outside everyday I venture forth from my hiding hole. The cups swivel and after some mods, they can be great headphones. Don't get scared away from Grado.

It's either Grado SR80i or ATH-M50's at the started set around here. I chose the Grado because I'm not a basshead and I like to mod my headphones.

Jun 25, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 20
Well I found a pair of Shure SRH550DJ at my local BB, but unfortunately they felt quite uncomfortable on my head and sounded only marginally better than the Aviator.  I'll keep looking to find the ATH-M50 but it doesn't look good.  Being Canadian sucks when it comes to buying a set of good cans that aren't overpriced.

Jun 25, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #11 of 20
I think you should stick with the Aviators. I see no problems with them except for the cord and the lack of isolation. Other than that they sound beautiful and fun to my ears. 

Just my 2 cents.

Jul 9, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #12 of 20
Jul 9, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #14 of 20

Quote:
Agreed. Although I only wish they isolated more (a la HD-25 style). Then I'd have the perfect portable no questions asked.  

Yeah, they do allow their fair share of outside noise in. I love mine, and think they were no doubt worth the asking price. 

Oct 8, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #15 of 20

Quote:
Agreed. Although I only wish they isolated more (a la HD-25 style). Then I'd have the perfect portable no questions asked.  

how would you compare the hd25's and the aviators because I heard the aviators, and by god I liked a pair of skullcandy headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back