Skullcandy: Least of 6 Evils
Sep 20, 2011 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

balalaika0

New Head-Fier
[size=11pt]SO. By way of some egregious personal lapse in judgment, I wound up with a pair of Skullcandy IEHs. The 50/50 model, to be exact. They broke a few months later, unsurprisingly. I sent them back to Skullcandy over a month ago, and was just credited with about $62 worth of points on their website to use towards a replacement product. I searched the web and this site, but was not able to find a good side-by-side review of the current line of Skullcandy IEH products.[/size]

[size=11pt]It looks like it’s between the 50/50, Fix, Heavy Medal, Riot, Smokin Buds and FMJ (Full Metal Jacket). I had no “problem” with the 50/50s, though I was not blown away, so if nobody has any insight to offer I am fine going with those again.[/size]

[size=11pt]What I listen to:[/size]

1. [size=11pt]Mostly vocal trance (80%)[/size]
  2. [size=11pt]Some heavier rock (5%)[/size]
  3. [size=11pt]Some classic rock (5%)[/size]
  4. [size=11pt]Some film score (5%)[/size]
  5. [size=11pt]Mélánge of everything else (5%)[/size]

[size=11pt]What I’m doing when listening:[/size]

1. [size=11pt]Riding the subway/bus/plane (40%)[/size]
  2. [size=11pt]Walking (20%)[/size]
  3. [size=11pt]Running/lifting (40%)[/size]

[size=11pt]Needless to say I need something that will stay put in my ears when running. I have small ears (I think), so this is a constant problem for me, but the 50/50 seemed to do well in that department with the smallest size of rubber “cushions” (for lack of a better word) that they came with.[/size]

[size=11pt]Also have a feeling that all the running/bouncing around, apart from being Skullcandies, is what caused them to break pretty quickly.[/size]

[size=11pt]Thanks in advance![/size]

Sep 20, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #3 of 23
heavy medal, i have never heard of those so therefore they have a higher chance of being decent than any of their other offerings.

Sep 20, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #5 of 23
I remember from years ago, a small number of people liked the FMJ. I think it had something to do with the casing improving the bass relative to the other models. You may want to try the FMJ out of the ones you listed.

Sep 20, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 23
FMJ has perhaps the worst overall SQ of all the typical SC models. The Titans aren't total pieces of **** if you have any use for a pair of phones with emphasized and bloated bass, like tons of dubstep or rap or something; Ink'd are ok for the money. Get the Ink'd with the mic for you cell phone and then, idk, see if they make anything other than headphones that you can do something other than waste your money on, lol

Sep 20, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:
FMJ has perhaps the worst overall SQ of all the typical SC models. The Titans aren't total pieces of ****

^this

Anyone who says the FMJs are good, havent heard them, I own a pair and I look forward to the day my customs arrive so I NEVER have to use them again. They are only tolerable for music like classical where there is 0 bass.

Many often say the titans are better, but thats not saying much.

Quote:

+1

Sep 20, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:
quick note I believe there is a new version of the FMJ (2011 edition) so disregard past reviews. 

I worked at a RadioShack until 2 weeks ago and we just began stocking the new FMJs when I left. The only noticeable difference is that they now offer them in chrome.

I was going to use my employee discount to get them for free after the gift card I had...I bought packs of AA batteries on sale instead.

Seriously.

Sep 20, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #15 of 23
Lol so I used SC's website's "Expert Assistance" link to try and get the insider scoop on the Fix...

Gilly:

How does the sound signature of the Fix compare with the Titans and FMJs?

null[size=1.1em]

[/size]

Matt:

What's up Gilly?

Gilly:

Hi matt

Matt:

What do you mean by 
signature?

Gilly:

The sonic qualities of the headphone

Gilly:

the qualities and emphasis on the treble, mids, and bass

Gilly:

For example the FMJs have highly recessed treble and mids with an obviously early treble roll-off

Gilly:

with emphasized and bloated bass

Gilly:

What does the Fix sound like compared to the FMJs?

Matt:

Definitely, the honestly haven't got the opportunity to use the fix yet because it's a fairly new product and I've been traveling a lot...fromwhat my peers have told me, they're are extremely clear sounding, not as bass heavy as the fmj

Matt:

Nicer overall than the titans though

Gilly:

interesting

Gilly:

Awesome

Gilly:

Thanks for your time Matt :)

Matt:

No worries Gilly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back