Skullcandy Grind
Oct 7, 2015 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

HiCZoK

500+ Head-Fier
Hi

I might have not been looking hard enough but I don't see anything about those on head-fi so here it is. Tyll certainly likes them and they are getting good reviews overall, so they might be worth attention

It's a 60$ on ear sealed headphone.
http://www.skullcandy.com/headphones/GRIND.html?cgid=1110&color=Black&skdy_mic=Universal

It features memory foam pads and solid aluminium construction from what I've been reading.
Also detachable cable which is a rarity with on ear design. The remote button and mic are on the headphone itself.

With those features, it seems like a super strong contender for on ear below 100$ I guess... depending on sq.

I am researching on-ear market recently, since I am looking for something to get for under 100$.
I was mainly looking at Skullcandy Navigator, Senns px100-II, Senns HD219,229,239, Koss SP330 or Grado and plenty of others... and all topics end in recommending either portapro or px100.
Seems like on-ear headphones are rather cheap because they are not too popular. I've obviously don't have one (I own Brainwavz HM5) but I am looking forward to opinions on this one. Maybe this is something interesting I am looking for.

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #2 of 9
lots of good google reviews noting them as
'very good/excellent bang for the buck' for under $100 cans...seems to have
surprised many reviewers who haven't held skullcandy in good esteem previously.

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #5 of 9
I grabbed a pair recently to try them out, and they are now my go-to portables. 

I've owned the Aviator's and Mix Master's from Skullcandy and while they were great headphones, they didn't compete well with other pairs in their price range. The Grind are definitely a different story. Fun bass, decent mids and highs, decent soundstage, nice detail, and a nice design round them out well for 60$. (You can find them for as low as 46.99$ right now). 

I don't think you can really do better when it comes to on-ears. 

After a bit of burn in, the bass settles down a bit though, so if you're looking for a boomy forward bass, these aren't what you want.

Mar 7, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 9
I just got a pair of these today. They are pretty killer. I think they are very balanced. Not bass heavy at all. Very clear, lightweight and comfy. 

They do leak some sound, but it's not that bad. 

Mar 24, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #7 of 9
  I just got a pair of these today. They are pretty killer. I think they are very balanced. Not bass heavy at all. Very clear, lightweight and comfy. 

They do leak some sound, but it's not that bad. 

Not bass heavy?
That was not what I was expecting. I though they will be bassheady

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #8 of 9
  I grabbed a pair recently to try them out, and they are now my go-to portables. 

I've owned the Aviator's and Mix Master's from Skullcandy and while they were great headphones, they didn't compete well with other pairs in their price range. The Grind are definitely a different story. Fun bass, decent mids and highs, decent soundstage, nice detail, and a nice design round them out well for 60$. (You can find them for as low as 46.99$ right now). 

I don't think you can really do better when it comes to on-ears. 

After a bit of burn in, the bass settles down a bit though, so if you're looking for a boomy forward bass, these aren't what you want.

How do these compare to the Aviators in soundstage, bass and clarity?

Nov 3, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #9 of 9
Just ordered a pair for $25. I'm less worried about the sound and more about durability. I've seen some pretty worn out and gross-looking Grinds on the subway so I'm pretty sure the plastic gets grubby real fast.

The whole thing with Skullcandy being bought out is interesting- I wonder if that'll change the direction of the company. They also misled their investors about their sales in China and are now facing a class action lawsuit... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back