Skullcandy Crusher
Dec 23, 2013 at 6:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Roboturner913

100+ Head-Fier
I know, I know, Skullcandy, but has anybody tried these? They have a self-contained "amp" to boost bass. I expect it's not really an amp but instead is the headphone equivalent of those vibrating transducers you mount under your home theater seating. The effect is powerful nonetheless. With the bass boost slider turned all the way up it felt like I had my head right next to a good subwoofer.

I don't listen to a lot of bass-heavy music, BUT I do watch a ton of movies at night where I have to keep the volume down so I don't get to "feel" the LFE so this might be a substitute. It's an interesting gimmick.

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #2 of 11
I tried them at Best Buy a few days ago and the only notable thing was some really nice treble. Apart from that the construction felt extremely fragile and uncomfortable (especially the ear pads) and the sound sound was pretty sub-par for the price. 

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #4 of 11
Panasonic called it Virtual Motion Sound System (VMSS). The actual VMSS (which I referred as the first gen.) had two models, a full size and another one with walkman. Basically it was a dual drivers setup with one full range and one sub-bass tactile driver driven by an active circuit (SkullCandy has similar setup). The second gen. was more like an head banded earbud with a separated single shaker, which doesn't sound anywhere as good as the first gen.

Remember, sub-bass is more felt by skin than heard by the ears, so theoretically this can actually works out very well with the right design. Unfortunately the companies who did take interest in it often doesn't treat it with enough care but more like a trick to get to the basshead.

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #5 of 11
Ahhhh the simple joys of youth and innocence. I loved those Walkmans. They had a slight tickle across your ear with dance music. I had no idea there were full size models? :D

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #6 of 11
P03R.jpg

Here are the first gen. The one on the right cames with the Panasonic VMSS walkman while the one from the left is RP-HT970. It was marketed as top-of-the-line back then.

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #7 of 11

P03R.jpg

Here are the first gen. The one on the right cames with the Panasonic VMSS walkman while the one from the left is RP-HT970. It was marketed as top-of-the-line back then.

I had that Walkman, though I was very, very young.  I remember not liking the vibrations.  Ugh, the cassette tape... a nasty, tangling, hissing media, I feel no nostalgia for it.

Dec 23, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #8 of 11
P03R.jpg

Yep, I ended up buying two pairs. I guess it was around 1994 maybe 1993. I used the portable headphones with rollerblades and on bikes. Normally going along the beach but at times in traffic.:eek:

Great, great memories. THX.

Just found your mod-thread from 07. Entertaining to see the tape player. Man that was a long time ago!

Dec 23, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #9 of 11
Sorry to totally derail this thread? Still in headphone history these Panasonic VMSS systems may be the closest system to the skulls?

Anyway just found a brand new Panasonic VMSS tape player on Amazon.com for $249.00.

Just think, tape players are now going up in value. Maybe the next cool thang like turntables?:D

Dec 24, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #10 of 11
Sorry to totally derail this thread? Still in headphone history these Panasonic VMSS systems may be the closest system to the skulls?

Anyway just found a brand new Panasonic VMSS tape player on Amazon.com for $249.00.

Just think, tape players are now going up in value. Maybe the next cool thang like turntables?:D
nah. Turntables are way cooler and quite honestly cassettes sound horrible.

Feb 2, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #11 of 11
  I know, I know, Skullcandy, but has anybody tried these? They have a self-contained "amp" to boost bass. I expect it's not really an amp but instead is the headphone equivalent of those vibrating transducers you mount under your home theater seating. The effect is powerful nonetheless. With the bass boost slider turned all the way up it felt like I had my head right next to a good subwoofer.

I don't listen to a lot of bass-heavy music, BUT I do watch a ton of movies at night where I have to keep the volume down so I don't get to "feel" the LFE so this might be a substitute. It's an interesting gimmick.

Just to follow up on it, the Crushers are actually pretty good. They have an adjustable bass slider and it is actually another driver in each side just for bass. It does require a battery and they are actually not bad, especially if you like bass and take a look at the price tag.

Overall not bad but I really didn't get to fully test them out since they were not mine. With the bass drivers off/all the way down the mids and highs seem fairly balanced and lacking bass. With the slider all the way up bass can be overpowering but since you can adjust it you can adjust to your liking. Probably would be great for movies and explosions/other effects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back