Skullcandy Aviators.
Feb 19, 2011 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

rararasputin

New Head-Fier
Ok.

First: I can get them for ~60$. Remember that.

Second: They actually look nice, not flash and gaudy like other Skullcandies.

Third: Lifetime warranty. Lifetime warranty. Lifetime warranty. I don't care about the build quality.

So, how do they compare to other ~60$ headphones? I'm not just talking about sound quality, unlike you whiny elitists I can't tell the difference between highs and lows and overpowering base and whatnot. As long as they don't buzz like a bee or sound like they're underwater, I'm fine.

So. Either whine at me because they're Skullcandy and you're too cool of an "audiophile" for that, or give me an honest opinion. Thanks.

Feb 19, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #2 of 23
Hate to break it to you, but you won't find too much hate on the Aviators here... I haven't heard them yet, so I can't personally speak of their SQ. As for their design they aren't my cup of tea. However... of those that have heard them, there are pretty polar reviews (like most headphones), there is a general consensus that the Aviators are proof that Skullcandy knows how to make decent headphones though.

For $60 are you sure they are real? If so, based on what I have heard, it is quite possibly a solid deal.

Feb 19, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #4 of 23
It sounds as if you've made up your mind on getting them already. If you want them, then buy them. You've come in here with your head set on them, and then insult the people you ask for help, I don't think you'll find much help after that.

Feb 19, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #5 of 23

Quote:
It sounds as if you've made up your mind on getting them already. If you want them, then buy them. You've come in here with your head set on them, and then insult the people you ask for help, I don't think you'll find much help after that.

thanks for the help, that was a useful and constructive post.

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #6 of 23
Feb 19, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #7 of 23
Tried these for a few days and was very impressed with the sound. Quite balanced, very pleasant sound...not harsh. I returned them because they are a strange size. Somewhere in between over ear and on ear...uncomfortable to wear for extended periods of time. People have different preferences in that regard, so I'd say give 'em a try. Especially for $60.

Feb 19, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #8 of 23
Be carefull of fakes but otherwise I too would jump on a pair of these at $60. If for no other reason than curiosity.

Feb 24, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #9 of 23
man now i wanna get one... i liked the sound of lifetime warranty..what happens when you brake em?

edit: Derrick Rose from the chicago bulls had one with his name on it too bad i didnt win it

where did you buy these headphones for 60$

Feb 24, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #11 of 23
Doc B braught along a pair to the recent Bay Area meet.  I spent all of about 15 minutes with them, not long enough to really comment, but here is what I came away with:

- They are a light.  From the looks I was expecting more metal parts.  There is a lot of plastic.  They feel a bit cheap at first grab, but after roughing them up a little they seem like they might hold up ok.
- They are smaller than I expected, and I fully expected the ear pads to start to bother me, but they felt good.  Of course, remember it was all of 10-15 minutes on my head.... but they really suprised me in how comfy they were and I felt like I could wear them for a long time comfortably.
-  Wow that cable is thin, but it's flexible and has those fancy phone controls is you're into such things.
-  As far as SQ I couldn't throw any rocks at it.  It seemed to be pretty neutral and offered nice detail.  Lows were definitely not over emphasized, and had me wondering if they might actually be a little light on that end.  I have to think that having Doc's reel to reel as a source makes just about anything sound good, and his amp certainly didn't hurt... but I recall Jude saying he thought you needed to try them with a decent source material to hear their potential as well. 

At $150 I left feeling that I would say they might be worth a try... but it was feeling like that was asking a bit much unless you really liked the looks etc...

At $60, I don't think you could go wrong!

Feb 27, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #12 of 23
I tried the Skullcandy Aviators today. They were really good. If they were $100, I would snatch one up right away.

They semi-remind me of the Ultrasone HFI 580, but I think the Ultrasones HFI 580 has more potential for bass. The Aviators still have great low end. VERY punchy and very tight. The highs were not the best, but at $150 and being a rather bassy headphone, it was good. The mids were recessed.  They make an excellent pop headphone. Plenty of bass and treble for rock. Better balance of mids would make it much better though.

Feb 27, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #13 of 23
FYI: Skullcandy is offering 40% off of just about everything they sell until the 28th.

Coupon code "UPSAPPRECIATE".

Dec 3, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #14 of 23
For anybody considering these pair of headphones, don't bother. Considering how damn good it looked and the mixed responses here despite it being skullcandy, I tried them on. It's absolute ****.

I want to find the person who engineered it, slap his parents for making such a moron and then send him death threats for the rest of his life... every time adam levine said a word with 's' in it the sibilance is so bad it sounds like someone clawing a blackboard...the headphones don't clamp well either... and the drums sound piercingly ****. the bass doesn't exist, the mids are this jumbled up lump of crap, and the treble is ******* horrible. It's like taking the V12 out of the lambourghini and replacing it with a honda civic engine, and then popping the ******* tires. I wouldn't buy it for $15 let alone $150, except for the satisfaction in knowing one less person on earth has to suffer it's sound quality.

In fact, it was so crap it's like they were having a competition with dr.dre's beats in crappiness, and believe me when I say they're winning. I'm thinking of trying another pair somewhere else because I'm starting to get convinced the pair I tried were defunct.

Dec 3, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #15 of 23

100 % agreed
Quote:
For anybody considering these pair of headphones, don't bother. Considering how damn good it looked and the mixed responses here despite it being skullcandy, I tried them on. It's absolute ****.

I want to find the person who engineered it, slap his parents for making such a moron and then send him death threats for the rest of his life... every time adam levine said a word with 's' in it the sibilance is so bad it sounds like someone clawing a blackboard...the headphones don't clamp well either... and the drums sound piercingly ****. the bass doesn't exist, the mids are this jumbled up lump of crap, and the treble is ******* horrible. It's like taking the V12 out of the lambourghini and replacing it with a honda civic engine (LOL agered love that one), and then popping the ******* tires. I wouldn't buy it for $15 let alone $150, except for the satisfaction in knowing one less person on earth has to suffer it's sound quality.

In fact, it was so crap it's like they were having a competition with dr.dre's beats in crappiness, and believe me when I say they're winning. I'm thinking of trying another pair somewhere else because I'm starting to get convinced the pair I tried were defunct.

its very coulerd headphone its sound like crap to me ist was hrobbile the highs are very VERY harsh could have been a fake but it was a demo at HMV so i doubt it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back