skull candy or vmoda? ....also on a budget!
Oct 31, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #16 of 44
well again im not too picky,previously i did some general research and decided with those 2.im also concerned about is the workmnship of those 2. REFINED LIST
earbuds
will listen at home
anticipate for the bus
no amp
listening out of a creative zen v plus
listening to broad range of rock and rap

Oct 31, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #17 of 44
If were talking inexpensive headphones and good sound quality... I prefer the mylarone x3's from jaben. Theyre great for the price.

Oct 31, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #19 of 44
Neither.

Go with any of the following instead for maximum bang for buck when a price/performance ratio is considered:

In no particular order, all cost $100 or less:
Grado SR-60
iGrado
KOSS KSC-75
KOSS Sportapro
KOSS Portapro
Denon D1000
Equation Audio RP15MC

Any of the above will likely sound so good to you that you will be delerious with happiness. Have fun achieving your first eargasm.

Edit: Nevermind. I just saw your revised list.

Yuin PK-2 are the only sub $100 earbuds that I can recommend in good conscience...

Oct 31, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #20 of 44
Neither of the ones you posted are earbuds.

I think the yuin pk2 are highly rated.

For iem's under 100, I recommend the er6i's or super.fi 3's

Skull candy and v-moda (what model?) arn't worth the price.

Oct 31, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #21 of 44
imilhan: Thanks for your detailed help!
to everyone else: you too!
i had have probably went the cheapskate way and make a mistake getting the skullcandy.....
But another question
Are earbuds in general worse than the over the head ones?

Oct 31, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #23 of 44
Are earbuds worse in general compared to the over the head ones?
I personally prefer the earbuds......Im not really picky on the sound(3rd time hehehe)so what are some earbud recommandations
ps. thanks everyone for your help!
i would have went the cheapskate way and go for the skull candy without ur help

Oct 31, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #25 of 44
Why? Because they sound like sh** and look like sh**. If you're asking the advice of people on this forum, take it. People here know what they are talking about. After you've been here awhile and have started to listen to good equipment, you'll realize that we do know what we are talking about and aren't just saying these things to drive you on a wild goose chase. When I was new here, I tried to follow the advice of those who came before me, and I'm glad I did. Skullcandy is some of the worst garbage on the market. But if you don't care about sound quality, go ahead and buy them if you think they look good. Maybe you will be the envy of your peers.

Oct 31, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #26 of 44
I'll tell you why.. its no secret either IMO - the company making them seems to be advertisement oriented rather than sq oriented...

It seems that what they are is more of a trend rather than a music accessory..... but this is all just my opinion, which might not reflect the reality.

Oct 31, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #27 of 44
In general, yes, earbuds have poorer sound quality than larger headphones. The Yuin PK-2 is really the only one that can be said to sound "good", but you're still paying a premium to get it in such a small package.

Those Skullcandys you are looking at aren't really earbuds, because they sit partially inside your ear canal and seal it off, kind of like earplugs. They're what are called "canalphones", which are the cheaper sibling of "IEMs", which can offer world-class sound, and almost complete sound isolation, but are very expensive.

There are a number of solid canalphones which can be had for under $100. Some of them have already been recommended to you on this thread. If you want to do some research and figure out what will really be best for you, this is the place to do it.

To answer your other question, why Skullcandies are so disliked, it's because among people who care about sound quality, they're frankly just a joke. Their first priority is making "stylish" headphones that will appeal to young people with disposable income. The fact of the matter is those $14 Koss headphones I recommended to you will absolutely destroy anything made by Skullcandy (and give anything Bose a run for it's money, but that's another story.)

If you've actually read all this, then congrats, head-fi 101 is over. Now here are your options as far as picking out a headphone:
1. Go for maximum cost-effectiveness and get the KSC75.
2. Decide you want to take a big step into the "real" headphone world, and take a look at the full-size Grado SR-60
3. Do some research on the many entry-level canalphones available for under $100. The Mylarone X3 and Sennheiser CX300 are good places to start.
4. If you definitely want an earbud, get the Yuin PK-2.
5. Read lots of head-fi threads and pick something out for yourself
6. Say "**** it" and just get the Skullcandies. Can't say I recommend this one too much.

Oct 31, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #28 of 44
actually, the mylarone have some issues with the stress reliefs,

lets be objective, the best price perfomance is the super.fi 3 live in rat shack, they are 60 bucks single armatore,

if you dont feel like spending that much, the Creative EP630 are a good economic decision, and the KSC75 are some of the best price perfomance headphones in the low range,

my advice, when possible, listen and feel, you´re gonna spend money on an object thats going to interpret music for you, and for alot of people, music is feeling, so your interpretation has to go with your feeling, and it dosnt matter what others say, becuase its your music, and you have to listen to it in the way you like it,

so try the headphones, go to ratshack, see if you like the Ultimate ears SF 3, theres also no shortage of people with CX300 or with the koss, so listen and feel, and screw everyone elses opinion,

also take in to account that alot of people giving advice here are also chest thumping and reassuring themselfs about their own purchesses, and just in case it wasnt said before...

Welcome to head fi, sorry about your wallet,

Nov 1, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #29 of 44
Wow, there are some angry posters here. Come on guys, you were also a newbie at one point. Stop trolling the threads and ripping people apart for not using the (barely functioning) search function.

Dancing Lemons--sorry, most people at Head-Fi are very nice people, I think you just hit a raw nerve. Skullcandy is a forbidden word around here. Don't personally know why, as I haven't owned a pair. I frankly think they look great, although not really my style. My understanding is that they sound like crap, although this could be fanboy propaganda... again, I don't personally review anything that I haven't owned.

Hope this helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back