SIVGA PHOENIX OPEN BACK WOOD DYNAMIC
Jul 10, 2020 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 185

omegaorgun

Previously known as FireLion
1594420692486.png

SIVGA · PHOENIX
OVER THE EAR OPEN BACK ZEBRA WOOD DYNAMIC/MOVING-COIL DRIVER HEADPHONES
  • SPECIAL FILM - The uniquely developed polycarbonate film and the independently developed diaphragm structure not only solve the shortcomings of the diaphragm being easily deformed, but also bring a new listening experience.
  • SOUND - Triple frequency equalization. Clean background, clear layering and wide sound field show natural sound, the high frequency is fresh and gorgeous, the low frequency is moderate, and the bass dive is flexible.
  • WEARING DESIGN - According to the ergonomically shaped design, the inner layer is made of inert sponge, and the skin close to the face is made of skin-friendly velvet, which is comfortable and soft to wear.
  • LOW IMPEDANCE - 32Ω low impedance makes more devices fit it. Only need to match good music, whether ordinary mobile phones or computers can vividly play the sound quality effect. Of course, if you use a professional player, there will be better results.
9__.jpg

http://www.sivgaaudio.com/us/over-e...od-dynamic-moving-coil-driver-headphones.html

Jul 11, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 185
So I watched a review and decided to pull the trigger. Should be here Monday. Had the Sundaras but something was off with timbre (for me) and the soundstage made everything sound very far away. Total $245 on Amazon with a 5% off coupon so we'll see how I like them. Return them if I don't.

Jul 11, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #3 of 185
While the sensitivity and impedance tolerance is normal, the cable length is kind of funny: 1.4 or 1.8 m in the extremes.

Jul 11, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #5 of 185
I also ordered one will have it tomorrow. If it sounds good will go about getting a balanced cable.

It definitely looks the part and that unboxing/bass video by no theme sounded good to me.

I recently had a 880 600 ohm balanced so will be interesting to see how it stacks up.

Jul 12, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 185
I am waiting for you guys to make comments after you receive yours next week. If the comments are positive I will order. I have to order from Ali Express because of my location in Asia and their delivery in the past 4 months has been a joke. I know about the Virus but that is no excuse for taking up to 3 months for delivery. I'm still waiting for a tube amp I ordered in May. It was shipped in May. They could have walked it here faster. I love how they take the money in five seconds after I press buy but deliver in months. Sorry for the rant. I still have a balanced cable coming from them that disappeared off tracking 4 weeks ago. God knows where that is.

Jul 12, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #7 of 185
I ordered a set to try out. They look good from the pictures. The cups do seem slightly small. I tried the PII's and build quality was outstanding. Didn't care for the elastic headband. They were heavy so headband was stretched out and I felt like they were hanging and couldn't get a tight fit.The Phoenix are now using the same Sendy Aiva headband which you can adjust to get a better fit. Not expecting a wow moment at this price point, but you never know.

Jul 12, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #8 of 185
I ordered a set to try out. They look good from the pictures. The cups do seem slightly small. I tried the PII's and build quality was outstanding. Didn't care for the elastic headband. They were heavy so headband was stretched out and I felt like they were hanging and couldn't get a tight fit.The Phoenix are now using the same Sendy Aiva headband which you can adjust to get a better fit. Not expecting a wow moment at this price point, but you never know.
At less than 300 grams these are not heavy. Now I can get your 3 opinions above before I commit to the vast black hole that is Ali Express delivery.

Jul 12, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #9 of 185
The Phoenix has risen. Couldn't resist. They arrived about an hour ago. Going through my headphone demo playlists. I am using a Linux system and using PulseEffects. An amazing EQ application. I like it better than APO on my Window desktop. Anyways here are the initial impressions. Basically zero burn in if that will matters.

Build:
They seem solid, but not heavy. Love this headphone band design. Best I have tried so far. No sounds moving cups around. Cable is 2.5mm detachable. Perfect length. Cable seems decent quality. It is thin and smooth to touch vs rough on a bunch of cables I have used. No need to upgrade imho, but that is user preference. Wood cups look good. They sound hollow if you tap on them. Travel case is nicely made and is small for a full size headphone that doesn't collapse. Outside looks nice with chrome ring and black painted mesh. Ear cups swivel and feel tight when moving. Pads are soft velvet fabric that are thicker at bottom than top. Inside and outside ring is soft protein leather. Feels good and doesn't have a shiny coating on it. IMHO pads need to be thicker/deeper. Also I would increase the total size of these headphones by about 25%. They are like miniature full size headphones. Kinda cool, but would like them bigger.

Comfort:
Headband is my favorite design. Barely feel it on top of head. Can move head already fast left right up down and they feel very secure. Clamp force is linear and not overly tight. Cups are too small for my ears. Bottom of pads lay on my ear lobes and top of ears seem cramped. Big ears take note. Small ears will probably not have an issue. Even though they are small they don't hurt, but after one hour when I lift them I notice. The headphones are too small. They seem like miniature headphones next to anything I own. The benefit though is they are lightweight. I did get some slight heat in the cups after 1 hour. These are open back, but have a slight closed back feeling. You can hear everything, but it's slightly muted/muffled. Take them off and everything gets clear and loud.

Power:
They are very efficient. I am actually finding they may be too efficient. Even on my phone (LG G6) I can't put them past 75%. Gets way too loud and starts to distort. Right around 65% is perfect and still loud. On my Modi/Magni Heresy stack on low gain I can't go past 11:30 on a loud track. On a low volume track max 1. At lower volumes highs are prominent with mids and lows about equal. As you make it louder the mids/lows start to come up and equal out with the highs. This happens at right around perfect volume that is loud. Then if you raise it even more highs get louder faster again. At this point it is way way too loud. I would think these would run better with a really weak power source. Don't get me wrong they sound good, but distort fast with more power.

Sound:
These are not reference headphones. More like fun headphones. Definitely a V shape, but happily the mids aren't totally recessed. The mids are definitely back just a bit, but not enough to cause issues. These cans JAM!!! For the first few minutes I accidentally had bass boost on and I was like HOLY SHXT. Bass Cannons with boost! Then I looked and put EQ back to stock. Still sounded great with less bass. They Sound great up until a certain point and then they started to distort when pushed past normal listening levels. My other cans don't do that. I tap out first before they distort. I let me GF listen and she loved them. She tried my Elegia and Arya and said they both sounded amazing in different ways. She did comment that they needed more bass. Not full sounding like most people prefer. Both need a Bass boost and even then still not what normal people like. At normal listening levels the Phoenix are what most people want stock. Not neutral and flat which most audiophile enthusiasts prefer. IMHO no EQ is needed, but they do EQ well if you want too. Once you EQ though stock doesn't sound as good. Choice is yours. They can be bass heavy to insane bass cannons.

Lows - These put out some great bass stock. Add bass boost and sub bass comes alive even more. Bass cannon lovers rejoice
Mids - slightly recessed, but still acceptable. Vocals sound great still and sound clear
Highs - Sound clean without being harsh

Summary:
Hope this review helps. They are well built, lightweight, and are fun to listen too. They do have a small cup size so big ear users be warned. They still work and seal even with big ears though. Feels nice to not feel like you have huge heaphones on your head. It's like full size headphones that got hit with a reduction gun (Alien cartoon). They actually still look cool. Can't say say cute for fear of loosing man card.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #10 of 185
The Phoenix has risen. Couldn't resist. They arrived about an hour ago. Going through my headphone demo playlists. I am using a Linux system and using PulseEffects. An amazing EQ application. I like it better than APO on my Window desktop. Anyways here are the initial impressions. Basically zero burn in if that will matters.

Build:
They seem solid, but not heavy. Love this headphone band design. Best I have tried so far. No sounds moving cups around. Cable is 2.5mm detachable. Perfect length. Cable seems decent quality. It is thin and smooth to touch vs rough on a bunch of cables I have used. No need to upgrade imho, but that is user preference. Wood cups look good. They sound hollow if you tap on them. Travel case is nicely made and is small for a full size headphone that doesn't collapse. Outside looks nice with chrome ring and black painted mesh. Ear cups swivel and feel tight when moving. Pads are soft velvet fabric that are thicker at bottom than top. Inside and outside ring is soft protein leather. Feels good and doesn't have a shiny coating on it. IMHO pads need to be thicker/deeper. Also I would increase the total size of these headphones by about 25%. They are like miniature full size headphones. Kinda cool, but would like them bigger.

Comfort:
Headband is my favorite design. Barely feel it on top of head. Can move head already fast left right up down and they feel very secure. Clamp force is linear and not overly tight. Cups are too small for my ears. Bottom of pads lay on my ear lobes and top of ears seem cramped. Big ears take note. Small ears will probably not have an issue. Even though they are small they don't hurt, but after one hour when I lift them I notice. The headphones are too small. They seem like miniature headphones next to anything I own. The benefit though is they are lightweight. I did get some slight heat in the cups after 1 hour. These are open back, but have a slight closed back feeling. You can hear everything, but it's slightly muted/muffled. Take them off and everything gets clear and loud.

Power:
They are very efficient. I am actually finding they may be too efficient. Even on my phone (LG G6) I can't put them past 75%. Gets way too loud and starts to distort. Right around 65% is perfect and still loud. On my Modi/Magni Heresy stack on low gain I can't go past 11:30 on a loud track. On a low volume track max 1. At lower volumes highs are prominent with mids and lows about equal. As you make it louder the mids/lows start to come up and equal out with the highs. This happens at right around perfect volume that is loud. Then if you raise it even more highs get louder faster again. At this point it is way way too loud. I would think these would run better with a really weak power source. Don't get me wrong they sound good, but distort fast with more power.

Sound:
These are not reference headphones. More like fun headphones. Definitely a V shape, but happily the mids aren't totally recessed. The mids are definitely back just a bit, but not enough to cause issues. These cans JAM!!! For the first few minutes I accidentally had bass boost on and I was like HOLY SHXT. Bass Cannons with boost! Then I looked and put EQ back to stock. Still sounded great with less bass. They Sound great up until a certain point and then they started to distort when pushed past normal listening levels. My other cans don't do that. I tap out first before they distort. I let me GF listen and she loved them. She tried my Elegia and Arya and said they both sounded amazing in different ways. She did comment that they needed more bass. Not full sounding like most people prefer. Both need a Bass boost and even then still not what normal people like. At normal listening levels the Phoenix are what most people want stock. Not neutral and flat which most audiophile enthusiasts prefer. IMHO no EQ is needed, but they do EQ well if you want too. Once you EQ though stock doesn't sound as good. Choice is yours. They can be bass heavy to insane bass cannons.

Lows - These put out some great bass stock. Add bass boost and sub bass comes alive even more. Bass cannon lovers rejoice
Mids - slightly recessed, but still acceptable. Vocals sound great still and sound clear
Highs - Sound clean without being harsh

Summary:
Hope this review helps. They are well built, lightweight, and are fun to listen too. They do have a small cup size so big ear users be warned. They still work and seal even with big ears though. Feels nice to not feel like you have huge heaphones on your head. It's like full size headphones that got hit with a reduction gun (Alien cartoon). They actually still look cool. Can't say say cute for fear of loosing man card.
Thanks for the great review! You saved me $255. I almost ordered these but they would not suit my use. From your description they sound almost like Grado size designed to be on ear or for Asian ears which are generally small. Your comment regarding the distortion when turn up makes it very clear that these were not an attempt at reference type headphone. More something to please the mid-fi crowd. It is the bigger market so they may do great with this but although the photo make it look like ZMF I don't think this will be any competition for ZMF even at the low price. Actually, Ali Express offers several complete wooden headphone models empty of drivers....just pick from several drivers and mount your own. Some have very attractive finish, If you are into DIY could be a fun project then you can dope the driver to your own taste. Very inexpensive for the hobbyist among us without the fancy box. Not my thing either but sounds like it might be a fun project for some.

Jul 12, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #11 of 185
Hmm. I'm a little concerned about my purchase. I just hate hearing headphones that lack solid bass. I still like a more balanced sound overall but have been disappointed in the bass presence of some IEM's and headphones I've heard lately. I don't think it's fair to say someone who cares about good sound and quality audio reproduction can't enjoy solid bass response. I agree a v shaped tuning appeals more more broadly but I'm hoping someday to find something with a nicer balanced headphone with solid visceral bass when called for. I've heard good things about planars but to me the timbre is strange. I guess I prefer the timbre of a dynamic as I basically listen to music with acoustic instruments. Saxophones, pianos, etc. And the planars I've tried sound a little off to me. I don't know. I'll keep looking!

Jul 13, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #12 of 185
Hmm. I'm a little concerned about my purchase. I just hate hearing headphones that lack solid bass. I still like a more balanced sound overall but have been disappointed in the bass presence of some IEM's and headphones I've heard lately. I don't think it's fair to say someone who cares about good sound and quality audio reproduction can't enjoy solid bass response. I agree a v shaped tuning appeals more more broadly but I'm hoping someday to find something with a nicer balanced headphone with solid visceral bass when called for. I've heard good things about planars but to me the timbre is strange. I guess I prefer the timbre of a dynamic as I basically listen to music with acoustic instruments. Saxophones, pianos, etc. And the planars I've tried sound a little off to me. I don't know. I'll keep looking!
You sound like a prospect for the Grado RS2e. I have one and that is exactly the music I listen to. Sounds great with well recorded music and very good bass although natural not overstated. It is designed and tuned for acoustic music.

Jul 13, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #13 of 185
You sound like a prospect for the Grado RS2e. I have one and that is exactly the music I listen to. Sounds great with well recorded music and very good bass although natural not overstated. It is designed and tuned for acoustic music.
I know nothing about them but will research. I mostly listen to heavier acoustic. Jazz funkish r&b kind of stuff. Lots of snarky puppy. I've heard the grados are treble dominant so I hadn't considered much but I'll look into them. Thanks!

Jul 13, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #14 of 185
I am in no way trying to bash these headphones. My review is my opinion and what I hear. I paid full price so I am entitled to my opinion. Also performance was based on my gear I had to test. To be fair they sound great until you push them to uncomfortable levels. No way I could keep the volume that loud. For normal loud listening I hear no distortion. The major issue I have is size. They don't fit my ears which aren't small or overly large. At least I don't think so and no one has ever said so. I asked my GF just to check and she said I have normal ears for my head size. She even commented that they are too small for me. If you have small gf/wife or kids these are amazing to make them an audiophile nut.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #15 of 185
I know nothing about them but will research. I mostly listen to heavier acoustic. Jazz funkish r&b kind of stuff. Lots of snarky puppy. I've heard the grados are treble dominant so I hadn't considered much but I'll look into them. Thanks!
I have Grado RS1i and have owned the 80s. Grado offers the most open of open-backed sound. Bass can be described as tight, punchy, detailed but not weighty, not sonorous. If you thrill to the detail of Christian McBride walking up and down the bass, Gradis are a great listen. But if you want Stanley Clark to give you a ride on a thumping bass blanket that infuses power into your ear, I’d look into planar headphones - Hifiman 400 series on a budget, Audeze if you can budget for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back