Sirius XM
Nov 15, 2008 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mortonjl

500+ Head-Fier
So it looks like the merger is complete and was looking for opinions, good or bad, on the new format. Some of the stations I used to listen to on XM (ch. 45 sbux) are gone or changed and there are a lot of new channels. I haven't had a chance to get the updated channel listing yet but will hopefully tonight. What does everyone think? Of interest to the electronica, new age, etc listeners channel 84 (chill) has some good stuff on it. Right before I got to work massive attack, art of noise and Tom Middleton, who I had never heard of and was pretty good, was on. So lets hear it.

Nov 15, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 12
I was waiting for someone to start a post on this. I'm an online XM subscriber and I think the new line up is horrible. Almost all of my favorite stations have been replaced with their Sirius counterparts and in all cases I think they are inferior.

In particular, the XM alternative channels are all gone (Fred, Ethel, and Lucy). I find the Sirius replacements very generic and a majority of the songs you can find on Top 40 radio. In addition, a lot of surviving XM channels have changed their playlists somewhat in an attempt to merge with their Sirius counterparts that are no longer available. The only saving grace is that XM now has the Met Opera Radio channel. If it wasn't for this, I would seriously consider cancelling my subscription.

Message boards have been flooded with unhappy subscribers, both XM and Sirius, many who are threatening cancellation. The worst part is that very few subscribers were even notified of the changes, although some DJs (and quite a few were fired) hinted that the change was coming. Sirius XM needs to do some serious damage control as well as makeover the playlists for many of their channels if they have any hope of surviving.

Nov 15, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was waiting for someone to start a post on this. I'm an online XM subscriber and I think the new line up is horrible. Almost all of my favorite stations have been replaced with their Sirius counterparts and in all cases I think they are inferior.

In particular, the XM alternative channels are all gone (Fred, Ethel, and Lucy). I find the Sirius replacements very generic and a majority of the songs you can find on Top 40 radio. In addition, a lot of surviving XM channels have changed their playlists somewhat in an attempt to merge with their Sirius counterparts that are no longer available. The only saving grace is that XM now has the Met Opera Radio channel. If it wasn't for this, I would seriously consider cancelling my subscription.

Message boards have been flooded with unhappy subscribers, both XM and Sirius, many who are threatening cancellation. The worst part is that very few subscribers were even notified of the changes, although some DJs (and quite a few were fired) hinted that the change was coming. Sirius XM needs to do some serious damage control as well as makeover the playlists for many of their channels if they have any hope of surviving.

Yeah, this is very evident by looking at their stock price history as well. Very sad that Sirius and XM couldn't perform their merge properly because I was looking forward to a great radio product and service as well as a nice boost to their stock price.

Nov 15, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Fred, Ethel, and Lucy are what I listened to also.
I don't know where you live but I never hear these songs on the radio here (which is why I have XM).
I think Lucy/Lithium is still pretty much the same, the others it's too early to tell since it only happened Wednesday.

Nov 15, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

thank you, I'm glad it's not only me. I was happy with what I had before and not too impressed now. The channels you listed were my favorites, along with sbux and now none of them are available. They make it sound like it's gonna be better but I don't see it. Where are the message boards? I'd like to do some reading there also.

Nov 16, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #7 of 12
Nov 17, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #8 of 12
I read an article that the new sirius-xm had to do a ton of house cleaning due to not needing all the djs and staff now that they were one company. Since that time, I have not heard Kayla on the line-up anywhere. Was she among the ones terminated? If so, that really sux. As does a lot about this merger.

Nov 17, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #9 of 12
I'm pretty happy post merger. I get NHL and O&A still, and now I get Jam On, Grateful Dead Channel, and the Sirius NPR content.

When I want to listen to other music, I have an ipod
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #12 of 12
Personally, I had XM for a year before switching to Sirius. I liked some XM channels like Fungus, Music Lab, and Liquid Metal. I made the switch because they had cancelled LM (which they brought back after a while). I stayed with Sirius because they had good programming, better than XM I thought. I had no issues with "too little variety" or "poor sound quality". Too bad that it seems that instead of combining all of the ggod elements of both companies, they just haphazardly threw it together.

I may be switching to a portable Slacker unit when I get back to the states anyway. That way I can control the programming. But I will miss ESPN radio. I love Mike & Mike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back