Singxer SU-6
May 8, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #271 of 999
Another question I have topping d90 dac which is already with two accusilicon as318b how is ddc going to do better except I can use i2s connection
Isn't accusilion better than crystek cchd-957
I mean how does it help the clock to do better using external vs on board dac
The D90 USB input does not appear to be isolated, so the SU6 brings the advantage of better isolation from RF noise coming from the host.
Check the user manual to see if the D90 allows you to select the clock source that is I2S clock (CCHD957) vs the internal clock (AS318)

The 2 crystals are pretty close in performance, all things being equal, I would choose the internal source as it is physically much closer to the DAC chip and subject to less effects from signal propagation delay.

May 8, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #272 of 999
I own both SU1 and SU6.
SU6 needs at least 15mins to come up to temperature, started from cold it sounds worse that the SU1.
It can take upwards of 1hour to sound its best.

This is a characteristic of oven controlled crystals, I have 2DACs with crystal ovens on their master clocks and they behave in a similar way.

Keep in mind the cost of ownership of the SU6 is quite high as it needs a good power supply for the main power and external USB power on the host side.
This can amount to an additional 50-100% of the total expenditure.
My setup is the SU6 + SotM SMS500 + Wyred4Sound Recovery, the external supplies here double the cost but it gives me the results I am looking for.

Denafrips Iris looks like a better constructed version of the SU2, the USB microcontroller is very similar.

Denafrips has said this is their entry level product.
It might be worth the wait to see what high end offering they can bring to the market.
I personally see no benefit in USB power vs external, for SU-1 :/

May 8, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #274 of 999
The D90 USB input does not appear to be isolated, so the SU6 brings the advantage of better isolation from RF noise coming from the host.
Check the user manual to see if the D90 allows you to select the clock source that is I2S clock (CCHD957) vs the internal clock (AS318)

The 2 crystals are pretty close in performance, all things being equal, I would choose the internal source as it is physically much closer to the DAC chip and subject to less effects from signal propagation delay.
The only thing I found it just to select the input to i2s and bedside setting pins for data, dsd for the i2s that's it don't see any clock thing

May 8, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #275 of 999
I own both SU1 and SU6.
SU6 needs at least 15mins to come up to temperature, started from cold it sounds worse that the SU1.
It can take upwards of 1hour to sound its best.

This is a characteristic of oven controlled crystals, I have 2DACs with crystal ovens on their master clocks and they behave in a similar way.

Keep in mind the cost of ownership of the SU6 is quite high as it needs a good power supply for the main power and external USB power on the host side.
This can amount to an additional 50-100% of the total expenditure.
My setup is the SU6 + SotM SMS500 + Wyred4Sound Recovery, the external supplies here double the cost but it gives me the results I am looking for.

Denafrips Iris looks like a better constructed version of the SU2, the USB microcontroller is very similar.

Denafrips has said this is their entry level product.
It might be worth the wait to see what high end offering they can bring to the market.

So you mean sps500? Which cable did you get and what is the size for su6 od5.5 id2.1 od5.5 id2.2 or od3.5 id1.4 jack?
Interested in it and but at sotm-audio I suppose

May 8, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #276 of 999
So you mean sps500? Which cable did you get and what is the size for su6 od5.5 id2.1 od5.5 id2.2 or od3.5 id1.4 jack?
Interested in it and but at sotm-audio I suppose
Yes SPS500, I think it is id2.1.
This comes standard with the supply.
Ghent Audio sells a cable with the right connector for 60USD if you want something better.

May 8, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #278 of 999
The only thing I found it just to select the input to i2s and bedside setting pins for data, dsd for the i2s that's it don't see any clock thing
The master clock will be internal to your DAC in this case and the MCLK lines from I2S will not be used.
The data transfer over I2S does not use MCLK, only FCLK (Frame Clock) and BCLK (Bit clock)

And you select the 9v since there isn't 7.5v on the sps500 and su-6 should boot up with no issue and charge the capacitor
Yes 9V output on the SPS500

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #279 of 999
The master clock will be internal to your DAC in this case and the MCLK lines from I2S will not be used.
The data transfer over I2S does not use MCLK, only FCLK (Frame Clock) and BCLK (Bit clock)

So that's where su-6 mclk come in I guess
So I guess with most dac only the USB input will the mclk be used
And the main use for su6 is to convert USB input to different output while still use the mclk of the su6?
Yes 9V output on the SPS500

May 8, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #280 of 999
And the main use for su6 is to convert USB input to different output while still use the mcl
MCLK is optional, my ES9038 does not use it either.
Modern DACS have a FIFO buffer when the data is read in at the rate controlled by the I2S BCLK and read out using the internal MCLK.

As long as the MCLK comes from a good source, the DAC is not subject to jitter. The AS318 in your DAC is sufficient for the MCLK task.
The Crysteks in the SU6 make sure the input stream is stable consistent feed with very low jitter, this means the FIFO is unlikely to overflow.

External MCLK from the SU-6, in the case of the D90 is not going to provide a real benefit.

May 8, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #281 of 999
MCLK is optional, my ES9038 does not use it either.
Modern DACS have a FIFO buffer when the data is read in at the rate controlled by the I2S BCLK and read out using the internal MCLK.

As long as the MCLK comes from a good source, the DAC is not subject to jitter. The AS318 in your DAC is sufficient for the MCLK task.
The Crysteks in the SU6 make sure the input stream is stable consistent feed with very low jitter, this means the FIFO is unlikely to overflow.

External MCLK from the SU-6, in the case of the D90 is not going to provide a real benefit.
So pc USB -> su6 -> i2s -> d90
Vs
Pc USB to d90 is not going to make a huge difference then

May 8, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #283 of 999
Pc USB to d90 is not going to make a huge difference then
It's obviously a big price for a smaller difference. Since SU-6 is close to price of D90 already..
I like the performance of my SU-1 (modded for 5V input) for I2S. but SU-6 too expensive for me :D would love to try one though
If you won't need BNC, Matrix X-Spdif 2 is also worth considering btw, often available used. uses accu clocks.

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #284 of 999
It will, I2S has 3 clocks, you will be using 2 of the 3 clocks.
SU-6 keeps the PC usb noise from entering the DAC
I see on d90 that i2s have mclk, bclk, and lrclk
So which 2 is used if I connect su6 i2s out to it?
And why only 2 used I thought su6 can be mclk itself? So i2s will get feed for all 3 clk?
Cause su6 have mclk out so I thought it can act as master clk
Or since I am using USB to su6 my mclk is USB?

May 8, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #285 of 999
I see on d90 that i2s have mclk, bclk, and lrclk
So which 2 is used if I connect su6 i2s out to it?
And why only 2 used I thought su6 can be mclk itself? So i2s will get feed for all 3 clk?
Cause su6 have mclk out so I thought it can act as master clk
Or since I am using USB to su6 my mclk is USB?
SU6 I2S will give your DAC 3 clocks, your DAC will only use 2 of the 3 (bclk,lrclk).
You mentioned that there was no option to select and use external clock on the D90, you might want to check with Topping if this is true

Users who are viewing this thread

Back