Singxer SU-1 Owners
Apr 11, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #196 of 869
How do you attach an external power supply to SU-1 anyway?

Here is a cheaper one:

http://www.teradak.com/products/108.html

Apr 12, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #197 of 869
I ordered my Singxer SU-1 and hope to receive it soon. I also have an iFi iSilencer and Holo Titanis USB regenerator. Wondering if it is useful to add one or both to the signal path from PC before SU-1 so that it has a better incoming signal on which to work it's magic, or if too many USB noise reducers / reclockers / regenerators might do more harm than good. I plan to use I2S output from the SU-1 once my new DAC arrives, and would appreciate input (pun intended) as to whether it is useful to use the iSilencer and Holo Titanis in the circuit as well.

Thanks!

Apr 12, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #198 of 869
  How do you attach an external power supply to SU-1 anyway?

Here is a cheaper one:

http://www.teradak.com/products/108.html

Removal of the back IEC power cable socket and have the new linear power supply's cable enter that way, or somehow fit a quieter voltage regulator/power supply within the SU-1 itself and still utilize the IEC, but of course needs to be hardwired, soldered, crimped.

I ordered my Singxer SU-1 and hope to receive it soon. I also have an iFi iSilencer and Holo Titanis USB regenerator. Wondering if it is useful to add one or both to the signal path from PC before SU-1 so that it has a better incoming signal on which to work it's magic, or if too many USB noise reducers / reclockers / regenerators might do more harm than good. I plan to use I2S output from the SU-1 once my new DAC arrives, and would appreciate input (pun intended) as to whether it is useful to use the iSilencer and Holo Titanis in the circuit as well.

Thanks!

Singxer SU-1 doesn't offer fixing of the signal integrity. I would say the iFi iSilencer should help to re-balance the signal prior to entering the SU-1 unit.

Should not harm or add latency, but I recommend an iPurifier2 over the iSilencer.

Apr 12, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #199 of 869
  Just a heads up...I have been using a Teknet battery to supply 5v to the SU-1 and incoming VBUS.  This offered a nice little improvement over the AC power.  Yesterday I replaced the battery with the Uptone LPS-1 and got a huge improvement!  The overall realism and soundstaging has never sounded better!  

Thanks for your inputs ! Last week, I also had an experiment on the same topic and I can't manage to come to a conclusion on it...

So I'm powering a mini pc (cubox i2ex O/S is archphile) with a battery pack (RavPower). Then i go into USB Through Singxer Su1 and then outputting in I2s to an Audio Gd Master7. Last week, my battery came short on power during a listening session and i was like "Holy **** where is the original power supply from my cubox" (the cheap generic one)... Going to my garage, I finally found it and replugged it to my Cubox... And here is the stange part, I had a much better sound (and still have it because i've not replug the battery pack). The sound is less floating in my listening room (more into the speaker), bass are tighter and there is a better sense of detail.

The fact is that makes no sense.... I mean can the battery pack being so dirt that going through my cubox then to the Singxer it produce a degradation whereas the cheap wall PS is much better at listening to. I believed that the Singxer usb input 5V was only for the Xmos, could it be of so much impact ? Could my cubox was underpowered giving some crap signal to feed to the Singxer ? Damn i'm lost there....

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #200 of 869

Removal of the back IEC power cable socket and have the new linear power supply's cable enter that way, or somehow fit a quieter voltage regulator/power supply within the SU-1 itself and still utilize the IEC, but of course needs to be hardwired, soldered, crimped.

Singxer SU-1 doesn't offer fixing of the signal integrity. I would say the iFi iSilencer should help to re-balance the signal prior to entering the SU-1 unit.

Should not harm or add latency, but I recommend an iPurifier2 over the iSilencer.

Ah, thanks, Energy. I didn't realize SU-1 doesn't "rebuild" the signal so one or both of my other USB "decrapifier" type devices may be useful. There are so many available these days, hard to keep straight which does what to the signal.

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #201 of 869
Ok, so I got the SU-1 yesterday. Set it up in my chain as follows:

mRendu (as a Roon Ready Endpoint / Player)  ---> USB cable ---> Singxer SU-1 ---> HDMI Cable ---> i2S Port on Holo Spring KTE

Notice the website of Singxer (and Kitsune) as all those configurations for various DACs. To tell you the truth, they all sound gibberish to me (Google translate from Chinese), so I understand nothing.

Anything I need to do with the switch for my Holo Spring?

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #202 of 869

Anything I need to do with the switch for my Holo Spring?

Nope.  The Singxer SU-1 ships with the DIP switches in the position that maps to the Spring DAC.
They should all be pushed to the "off" position as shown below.

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #203 of 869
It's a shame reading about all the Software updates, Connections, and Power issues with the SU-1

These two would eliminate those hassles although for a little more coin....

http://audiobyte.net/products/hydra-z

http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-Fanless-200W-Linear-Power-Supply-for-PC-Audio-and-CE-device.html

The Hydra Z will work on the 5 volt power from the USB input, but if your supply your own LPS, it will turn off that incoming power from your computer's USB cable. 

I should be getting my pair next week....
eek.gif
   I hope they work as advertised...

Apr 12, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #204 of 869
  Ah, thanks, Energy. I didn't realize SU-1 doesn't "rebuild" the signal so one or both of my other USB "decrapifier" type devices may be useful. There are so many available these days, hard to keep straight which does what to the signal.

I like how they are having products that deal with particular problems, but the way they market it and the spider web in which they should show can be improved.

All these mini plug in accessories that fixes ground, balancing, reclocking, etc should be revised.

If you have the SU-1, I recommend selling all your decrapifiers and waiting for either the ISO REGEN or iGalvanic 3.0 to come out. They will solve all of your USB signal integrity issues along with offering full galvanic isolation (similar to Intona Isolator), but just without the previous bandwidth and latency limitations. 

It's a shame reading about all the Software updates, Connections, and Power issues with the SU-1

These two would eliminate those hassles although for a little more coin....

http://audiobyte.net/products/hydra-z

http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-Fanless-200W-Linear-Power-Supply-for-PC-Audio-and-CE-device.html

The Hydra Z will work on the 5 volt power from the USB input, but if your supply your own LPS, it will turn off that incoming power from your computer's USB cable. 

I should be getting my pair next week....
eek.gif
   I hope they work as advertised...

The issues only affect a very small amount of people, but I do agree with you that the Hydra-Z is superior in it's design, however both should perform similar if one considers utilization of USB power in the input for the XMOS. I just feel as though it's not worth it for the price point. It's not a few more coins, the last time I checked it was well over $500. Not sure how much you managed to get yours far.

I don't understand why so many people would rather purchase a linear power supply like that unless they use it on their music server or personalized MUSIC ONLY computer.
For power running to either the Hydra-Z or SU-1, there are better options. For example, one could purchase the iGalvanic for $299 which not only improves on USB signal integrity thus making the digital to digital converter perform better, but offer it a extremely low power regulation noise of 0.5uV while still using the USB power. There's no extra power cable or accessories needed. Simply connect one in series and you're good.

But for those who doesn't care so much on galvanic isolation, simply get an iPurifier2 before the signal and that should help offer the SU-1 a more IDEAL USB signal render.

Apr 12, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #205 of 869
This may have already been answered but skimming through the thread I wasn't able to find it.

Does the Singxer SU-1 provide asynchronous sampling through its i2s port? I have been having trouble finding this (supposing it does). I have to set the bitrate manually on my Gustard, which can be bothersome with the various samples I have.
I am connecting it to a Gustard x20pro via hdmi. Bypassing the Singxer and straight into the Gustard via coax has asynchronous. Does the Singxer have this capability and how do I set that up using the i2s port?

Any help would be appreciated. Also, sorry if I am getting the lingo mixed up. Thanks.

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #206 of 869
You don't have to set the bit depth or sample rate manually, the i2s output on the singxer su-1 sends out whatever your computer or player sends it via the usb port.  works great on my ps audio dac :D

Apr 13, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #207 of 869
What file it is from the source is what it plays.

The XMOS of a DAC is asynchronous as it controls timed interval of 1's and 0's received to help by re-clocking to help with jitter. Signal that passes after being clocked already should be synchronous in terminology.

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #208 of 869

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #209 of 869
  You don't have to set the bit depth or sample rate manually, the i2s output on the singxer su-1 sends out whatever your computer or player sends it via the usb port.  works great on my ps audio dac :D

Okay, thanks I appreciate that. It makes sense.

My only concern is not seeing the sample rate change on the Gustard the way it does when I hook up via Coax. I am not sure if I need a pin switched "on" on the Singxer in order to enable that capability?

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #210 of 869
  What file it is from the source is what it plays.

The XMOS of a DAC is asynchronous as it controls timed interval of 1's and 0's received to help by re-clocking to help with jitter. Signal that passes after being clocked already should be synchronous in terminology.

Thanks this was helpful. I must have offset something on the Singxer by manually changing the sample rate on my laptop and now the Gustard doesn't show the kHz changes...but then again I cannot remember it changing on tracks before I went in to do it manually on my laptop.

Is there a way to reset the Singxer that you know of?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back