Singxer SDA-2 Native DSD512 DAC Impressions and Discussion
Oct 13, 2019 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

crabdog

Headphoneus Supremus
Based on the AK4497EQ, the SDA-2 supports 384kHz, native DSD512. Class A balanced headphone output power 3480mW @30ohms.

This thing is a beast and I've been really enjoying it for the last few weeks. It sounds boss as a standalone unit but I've also been using the XLR out to my Feliks Audio Echo amp. Looking forward to hearing impressions from others who have it.

DSC_3095_result.jpg DSC_3096_result.jpg

Oct 14, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #2 of 26
I've had a unit for a while, it has a somewhat warmish sound and seems competitive with my old Parasound DAC-2000. The Singxer is slightly more detailed but loses out a little on tonal density, but it took me a while to identify these differences. The remote is rather handy, and the preamp seems to operate in the analog domain (you can hear a tick when switching between fixed and preamp output), which is a bit safer than a purely digital volume control.

Wish the headamp had a gain switch for IEMs, it is powerful but it definitely isn't for IEMs.

Oct 18, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #3 of 26
I've had a unit for a while, it has a somewhat warmish sound and seems competitive with my old Parasound DAC-2000. The Singxer is slightly more detailed but loses out a little on tonal density, but it took me a while to identify these differences. The remote is rather handy, and the preamp seems to operate in the analog domain (you can hear a tick when switching between fixed and preamp output), which is a bit safer than a purely digital volume control.

Wish the headamp had a gain switch for IEMs, it is powerful but it definitely isn't for IEMs.
You're right, it's not really ideal for sensitive IEMs but it sings with all the headphones I've tried.

DSC_3467_result.jpg

Dec 11, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #6 of 26
I've recently got one of these and it's great, powers the HE-500 with ease. Compared to the Topping DX7 Pro is does lean towards a slightly warm tonality with excellent detail throughout. It also works well as a pre-amp and DAC only, I'm using it as a DAC into the HiFiMAN Jade II system via balanced cables, and using pre-amp out to fine tune the volume as the steps on the Jade II amp are quite large in volume.

Mar 27, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #7 of 26
I've recently got one of these and it's great, powers the HE-500 with ease. Compared to the Topping DX7 Pro is does lean towards a slightly warm tonality with excellent detail throughout. It also works well as a pre-amp and DAC only, I'm using it as a DAC into the HiFiMAN Jade II system via balanced cables, and using pre-amp out to fine tune the volume as the steps on the Jade II amp are quite large in volume.

I have just replaced my Marantz HD-DAC1 with the SDA-2. Now the Marantz is a great performer, but the SDA-2 just edge's it for me.
A shade more clarity and separation, cymbals sound more realistic, steel stringed acoustic guitars have more presence.
Certainly not a 'day and night' difference (IMHO) and Marantz owners should not lose any sleep over it, but enough for me to sell my HD-DAC1 on and keep the Singxer.
I own a pair of Mrspeakers Alpha Primes, they sound fantastic whit the Marantz HD-DAC1, but even better with the Singxer SDA-2, especially in balanced mode.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #8 of 26
I have just replaced my Marantz HD-DAC1 with the SDA-2. Now the Marantz is a great performer, but the SDA-2 just edge's it for me.
A shade more clarity and separation, cymbals sound more realistic, steel stringed acoustic guitars have more presence.
Certainly not a 'day and night' difference (IMHO) and Marantz owners should not lose any sleep over it, but enough for me to sell my HD-DAC1 on and keep the Singxer.
I own a pair of Mrspeakers Alpha Primes, they sound fantastic whit the Marantz HD-DAC1, but even better with the Singxer SDA-2, especially in balanced mode.
I'm listening to my SDA-2 as I type this. I really enjoy the tonality and resolution. Curious to see how it will compare to the DX7 Pro when I get it next week.

Jul 29, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #11 of 26
How SDA-2 is compared to Yulong and Audio GD similar DACs?
I only have the Yulong Canary II which isn't really in the same class as the SDA-2. I can tell you the SDA-2 has a more robust, muscular sound to it and improved separation but for the price, the Canary II is outstanding.

I just received the Gustard A18 yesterday and can't wait to see how that compares to the SDA-2 when I get home from work this evening.

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #12 of 26
I only have the Yulong Canary II which isn't really in the same class as the SDA-2. I can tell you the SDA-2 has a more robust, muscular sound to it and improved separation but for the price, the Canary II is outstanding.

I just received the Gustard A18 yesterday and can't wait to see how that compares to the SDA-2 when I get home from work this evening.
Is the sound appreciation of the Singxer SDA-2 you referenced based on its Dac mode? or when used with your built-in amplifier?

Jul 30, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #13 of 26
Is the sound appreciation of the Singxer SDA-2 you referenced based on its Dac mode? or when used with your built-in amplifier?
I was thinking mainly of the headphone amp when I wrote that. In terms of pure DAC mode, I feel the SDA-2 performs extremely well for the price. Its presentation is slightly musical but still very transparent and honest. It has a nice 3D presentation and good resolution.

Aug 9, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #14 of 26
I'm very interested in this comparsion. Is A18 on the same level as Singxer? And does it have the same fascination and musicality?
For example I like fullness of bass and midrange of Topping's D70 a bit more, but dynamics and HF definition of A18 are better. I wonder is SDA-2 have fuller bass and midrange than A18.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #15 of 26
I'm very interested in this comparsion. Is A18 on the same level as Singxer? And does it have the same fascination and musicality?
For example I like fullness of bass and midrange of Topping's D70 a bit more, but dynamics and HF definition of A18 are better. I wonder is SDA-2 have fuller bass and midrange than A18.
To be honest, I've only used it with active monitors so far. Over the coming days I'll test it with some headphone amps and passive speakers. Considering the A18 doesn't have a headphone amp I have high expectations for the DAC functionality. I will say the display is a bit weird; the bitrate is in large text and the volume is tiny. Normally it's the other way around. :thinking:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back