Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
May 4, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #811 of 2,563
Yes, it was a physical motorized potentiometer, with a rubber band, like a bicycle chain, like a turntable with external motor, that moves the actual knob in your preamp... very neat. A friend showed it to me years back, can't find it anymore.

You certainly need something with a remote, the Burson maybe is good for you? 400$ extra though.
I can see something like that working and looking very interesting while it does its thing. Never come across it before either, but sounds like an interesting idea. Props to whoever came up with it.

May 4, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #812 of 2,563
Yes, it was a physical motorized potentiometer, with a rubber band, like a bicycle chain, like a turntable with external motor, that moves the actual knob in your preamp... very neat. A friend showed it to me years back, can't find it anymore.

You certainly need something with a remote, the Burson maybe is good for you? 400$ extra though.

Had a Burson once...never again. It was the Burson Soloist--the bigger version that also acted as a preamp. Read many reviews, and it was routinely described as "musical" and "slightly warm" -- unfortunately it was neither. It has a typical spotlighted/upper frequencies come first SS sound. Great bass, but average mids, annoying upper mids & highs. I also wrestled with the stepped volume pot that had (if memory serves) just 14 steps, way too few for usability.

I figured out the hard way that I'm not an ideal Burson customer...

May 4, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #813 of 2,563
What's wrong with being redundant? Art collectors try to have multiple works from the same style/time period...so why should we restrain ourselves re amps?

As the V281 is my #1 favorite HP amps AND preamp--the absolutely ideal sound for my tastes. Yet I'm still interested in the SA-1 and would have bought one if not for lack of remote. I have 6 amps at present, each with a slightly different flavor of my preferred sound. I switch amps way more often than I switch HPs...
You’re not helping 😆

May 4, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #815 of 2,563
Can these companies claim their amps are class A when they really are A/B? I mean, can they really scam the customers just like that when they can get busted at forums like these? It is really tricky
I haven't looked at the specs of this amplifier but are you sure your rather efficient headphone ever leaves class A operation. Very few headphones actually push their inefficiency on the amplifier.

Not that you could tell the difference, anyhow.

You could always build a CFA3 headamp that pushes 15W into 50 ohms and ignite your headphones on fire for show. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

May 4, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #816 of 2,563
Had a Burson once...never again. It was the Burson Soloist--the bigger version that also acted as a preamp. Read many reviews, and it was routinely described as "musical" and "slightly warm" -- unfortunately it was neither. It has a typical spotlighted/upper frequencies come first SS sound. Great bass, but average mids, annoying upper mids & highs. I also wrestled with the stepped volume pot that had (if memory serves) just 14 steps, way too few for usability.

I figured out the hard way that I'm not an ideal Burson customer...
It also looks a bit weird on the outside to be honest those burson... and the knob too tiny... violectric or gsx or spl or the singxer look better, but no remote. F#&K burson then. not many options less. What about a 10K$ nelson pass? they make those with a remote?

May 4, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #819 of 2,563
How do you like the SA-1 compared to the Violectric, GSX Mini and Soloist?
I do like the SA-1 very much so far, very powerful (still on low gain since day 1, even on my hardest to drive headphone the A2C) and transparent. Not any detectable hiss on any of my headphones so far (Soloist 3XP can have some minor hiss on sensitive headphones when on medium/high gain, V281 needed also some reduction from default pre-gain setting), same as the GS-X mini in this regard. In my opinion the SA-1 might not supersede the other 3 mentioned amps (all have their uniqueness and right to exist) in all sonic properties, but gets very close and offers a very good price-performance ratio. The SA-1 will definitely stay in my collection!

Just right now I am listening to the Quad ERA-1 on the SA-1 with Musician Pegasus - very good combo!

May 5, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #820 of 2,563
After over 2 weeks with my SA-1 i can say that i just love this amp. It is much better for my taste than my A90 and my H16.

The DC mod, the HifiTuning Supreme 3 fuse and the Supra SPC anniversary power cord moved this amp to another tier in my opinion.

I use it in high gain mode (low-Z) with my Aryas because i think in low gain the Arya don't get that kind of punchiness and dynamics that this headphone needs.

May 5, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #821 of 2,563
After over 2 weeks with my SA-1 i can say that i just love this amp. It is much better for my taste than my A90 and my H16.

The DC mod, the HifiTuning Supreme 3 fuse and the Supra SPC anniversary power cord moved this amp to another tier in my opinion.

I use it in high gain mode (low-Z) with my Aryas because i think in low gain the Arya don't get that kind of punchiness and dynamics that this headphone needs.
Which fuse you got, the size and A rating ? I'm lazy to check :p

May 5, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #823 of 2,563

Can you please explain how to do the DC mod with the jumpers? Do you need four jumpers? I have scoured this whole thread and nobody has really said how to do it. Thank you very much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back