Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Mar 31, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #2,551 of 2,563
Fortunately, I never saw any red light come on my SA-1 (knocks on wood) but my anecdote won’t mean much.

I know what you mean about the LP - it could’ve really used a gain switch. I really like the sound it makes with my Arya but I can’t use it with my Ares II dac because there’s some channel imbalance at around 9:30, which is my preferred listening volume. Moving past 9:30 resolves the imbalance but then it’s too loud. Rme is a good alternative since I can control the volume (unlike Ares II) but I’ve grown to realize I prefer the r2r sound.

As for volume play with your headphones, I’m sure you’ll be fine. I only stay in low gain on SA-1 (sounds tighter to my ears) and never felt the need to go higher. I’m at 3:30-4 on the HE6v2, around 2 for Arya, and 11-12 (I think) for the Elex. Can’t remember for HD6xx. I have a hearing of a late forties male. Ymmv and all that.
For my HE6se V2's, and pretty much any planar, I use my iFi Pro iCAN.

My favourite amp is my Violectric V220.

I am a quiet listener and most of my headphones are pretty efficient.

And I see a used SA-1 for sale in my area...No warranty, but it's almost half price. :smile:

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #2,552 of 2,563

And I see a used SA-1 for sale in my area...No warranty, but it's almost half price. :smile:
Nice flex with marginally more expensive gear 😂

Edit - should clarify that i meant this in good humor. Hope you dont take offense

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 12:23 AM Post #2,553 of 2,563
Thanks for the feedback. I guess the longest owners are going to be three years.
I got mine used and have been running it daily without issue for the past year or so. Not sure how long the prior owner had it, but it was long enough to have committed to a few quality of life improvements (knob, etc).
I would like to use this amp with the Focal Clear's, Senn HD660S2's, Grado GH2's, HiFiman Arya's, CFA Cascades, iBasso SR2's, FiiO FT5's and Focal Radiance's.
Almost all are Very easy to drive and I would like to have lots of space to play with the volume dial.
Most of my headphones never see anything more than 9 or 10 o'clock on the knob (on high gain). Only exceptions are my HD 600 (which hits about 1 o'clock) and my HE6se v2 (which hits about 3 o'clock). Plenty of gain left to be had, and I've never hit audible distortion.

Apr 1, 2024 at 12:28 AM Post #2,554 of 2,563

Does that SA-1 have the jumper modification?

Apr 1, 2024 at 6:43 AM Post #2,556 of 2,563
Not technical so I would appreciate some input, at the moment have the Hiby R6pro2 connected 4.4 balanced (4Vrms) to the Singxer Xlr's, headphones (109 Pro) connected to the Singxer 4.4 balanced.
Would including an external DAC to the setup be of any benefit ? My thought is the Hiby's 4Vrms enough for the Singxer to function at its best ?

Apr 1, 2024 at 8:28 AM Post #2,557 of 2,563
I got mine used and have been running it daily without issue for the past year or so. Not sure how long the prior owner had it, but it was long enough to have committed to a few quality of life improvements (knob, etc).

Most of my headphones never see anything more than 9 or 10 o'clock on the knob (on high gain). Only exceptions are my HD 600 (which hits about 1 o'clock) and my HE6se v2 (which hits about 3 o'clock). Plenty of gain left to be had, and I've never hit audible distortion.
Just out of curiosity, why are you always in high gain? I was thinking that I would likely always be in low gain. Most of my headphones are very efficient.

Apr 1, 2024 at 8:29 AM Post #2,558 of 2,563
Apr 1, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #2,559 of 2,563
Just out of curiosity, why are you always in high gain? I was thinking that I would likely always be in low gain. Most of my headphones are very efficient.
High gain comes with no obvious penalty to sound quality, and I’m regularly driving my HE6se v2. If it were easier to switch gain modes, I would use low gain for all my other headphones (just to have greater fine tuning capability on the volume knob).

Apr 1, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #2,560 of 2,563
Not technical so I would appreciate some input, at the moment have the Hiby R6pro2 connected 4.4 balanced (4Vrms) to the Singxer Xlr's, headphones (109 Pro) connected to the Singxer 4.4 balanced.
Would including an external DAC to the setup be of any benefit ? My thought is the Hiby's 4Vrms enough for the Singxer to function at its best ?
Sounds ideal enough to me, unless there’s something you don’t like about the Hiby’s DAC capabilities.

Apr 1, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #2,561 of 2,563
High gain comes with no obvious penalty to sound quality, and I’m regularly driving my HE6se v2. If it were easier to switch gain modes, I would use low gain for all my other headphones (just to have greater fine tuning capability on the volume knob).
Makes sense.

Apr 1, 2024 at 10:49 AM Post #2,562 of 2,563
Sounds ideal enough to me, unless there’s something you don’t like about the Hiby’s DAC capabilities.
I think your answer has answered my question, setup sounds good however I was just wondering if I was missing anything by not using a seperate DAC.
Probably should be content as the Singxer has hardly changed the sound signiture which is a good thing, just given me more headroom with the volume which is what I was after in the first place when I bought it.
I think I should stop reading reviews, dangerous things the reviews.

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #2,563 of 2,563
Thanks for the feedback. I guess the longest owners are going to be three years.

Have you ever had the red light come on and stay on for a bit?

I used to have the LP for quite a while, but sold it a year or two ago. The gain was just too high for me.

I would like to use this amp with the Focal Clear's, Senn HD660S2's, Grado GH2's, HiFiman Arya's, CFA Cascades, iBasso SR2's, FiiO FT5's and Focal Radiance's.
Almost all are Very easy to drive and I would like to have lots of space to play with the volume dial.
Yeah i think easier to drive is the way to go on this amp. Which is very evident with the old very efficient 660s. Lots of headroom, excellent dynamics and sounds great with it.
Again i have to say the Neumann ndh 30 is another great pairing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back