SinglePower Slam... how does it rank to current options?
Jun 15, 2011 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

bobeau

Headphoneus Supremus
Bought a Slam PPX3 w/ 6sn7 upgrade in late 2005.  Took a breather from headphone audio/Head-fi for a good 4 years or so.  Came back to see there was quite a scandal surrounding the company and it is now defunct.

Back in the day (mid '00s) the Slam seemed to be a dominant amp in its price segment.  But then again SinglePower had a pretty big halo effect on the forum where they could do no wrong, so I'm not sure if there was some psychological component going on.

So question - soundwise, how does this amp stack up to current options?   Can I do better for a tube amp say under $700?  

ps. functionally the amp has run without a hitch, has maybe 1000-1500 hours on it.  Transformer doesn't get particular hot.  Have only used low impedance cans, not sure if that matters.

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #2 of 19
Been out of it for a while myself, and from my casual perspective there's a whole lot of unexciting amps - most of the chinese - in the under $1K segment. If you want to bump up to the price bracket and start looking at the newer Eddie Current & TTVJ/Millet stuff - now THAT stuff looks like fun!

As far as how any particular Singlepower amp stacks up to a given price range - who knows. I had an SDS I sold a while back; it's still the sweetest sounding dynamic amp I've heard. Was even a bit better than the Zana Deux, as great an amp as it is. So if your PPX sounds great and doesn't run hot - then there's a good chance it's actually a really really nice amp, potential sloppy construction aside (still might want to have a tech measure some voltages). Unfortunately, you may be hard pressed to get substantial cash back out of it, due to Mikhail's swindling :frowning2:

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #3 of 19
I recommend to have it checked by a tech to make sure it's safe.

I have two SP Extreme  (made safe) and couldn't be happier.

They are close to my BA and sound very nice.

Jul 5, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 19
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the feedback.  I totally forgot I posted this.  And mulveling I remember you well.

Should I be content with going w/ a local tech?  I seem to recall there was a place, maybe Boulder Audio, that specializes in fixing these?  Anyone know a tech in San Diego?

I went through a few other options, but I really like the sound of this amp, esp. w/ an 7n7 to my Edition 8s.  Very natural/speaker-like tonality.  Guess I'd be willing to throw maybe $300-400 at it, above that probably do something like a Woo 6.

Jul 6, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 19
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the feedback.  I totally forgot I posted this.  And mulveling I remember you well.

Should I be content with going w/ a local tech?  I seem to recall there was a place, maybe Boulder Audio, that specializes in fixing these?  Anyone know a tech in San Diego?

I went through a few other options, but I really like the sound of this amp, esp. w/ an 7n7 to my Edition 8s.  Very natural/speaker-like tonality.  Guess I'd be willing to throw maybe $300-400 at it, above that probably do something like a Woo 6.

Good luck finding a tech from this place. Everybody sent theirs to third party guys that charged more to "fix" the amp than what you paid for it. Look for a guitar amp repair tech to go through it. Trouble is getting a drawing as SP did a lot of "mods" even within a model. Another option is asking your audio dealers (Blackbird Audio) for advice on a tech.

Jul 6, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 19

The amps Mikhail was turning out at the end were nothing like the ones he did before 2007. There was never an issue with a PPX3 but somehow every SP amp has since been determined to be dangerous. I still have a PPX3/ MPX3/ Supra old style chassis and the very first Extreme (built with an upgarded transformer from the start). Problems??? Zero. They all still work and sound great. What is not safe about a PPX3? The Extreme WAS a problem in some cases and the electrostatic amps were awful. The real problem ..... Mikhail.

Quote:
I recommend to have it checked by a tech to make sure it's safe.

I have two SP Extreme  (made safe) and couldn't be happier.

They are close to my BA and sound very nice.

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #8 of 19

I had a Woo 6 and I sold the amp after a few months of trying to make the amp sound good. I liked my PPX3 way better. If I were going to get another headamp I like the looks of the Valhalla from Schiit?? Audio.

http://www.digitalaudioblog.com/2011/02/schitt-audio-valhalla.html 

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Jul 7, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #10 of 19

Quote:
I had a Woo 6 and I sold the amp after a few months of trying to make the amp sound good. I liked my PPX3 way better. If I were going to get another headamp I like the looks of the Valhalla from Schiit?? Audio.

http://www.digitalaudioblog.com/2011/02/schitt-audio-valhalla.html 

Hey sacd lover, we corresponded a bit back in the day. 

I guess with that I'll crack it open and see how it looks.  There's a rebuild thread for the Extreme which caused my heart to skip a beat.  Wonder why this changed?  Did he hire (highly) unqualified techs to assist in assembling?  

My attitude now is to get a WA6SE which I imagine is a sonic upgrade in some sense, but if it's not a total rat's nest inside I'll probably get it checked locally.  My concern is the fact that he used underspecced parts... regardless of build quality, that seems to indicate a level of incompetence with regards to circuit design.  But like you I've put serious hours on this amp, the transformer is relatively cool to the touch, it's never skipped a beat.

Schiit looks interesting, but I'm driving low impedence cans (Editions 8s), OTL is out...

Jul 7, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 19

Quote:
Good luck finding a tech from this place. Everybody sent theirs to third party guys that charged more to "fix" the amp than what you paid for it. Look for a guitar amp repair tech to go through it. Trouble is getting a drawing as SP did a lot of "mods" even within a model. Another option is asking your audio dealers (Blackbird Audio) for advice on a tech.

Thx for the pointer on Blackbird!  Was not aware of these guys.

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #13 of 19
Man, I'm in the same boat as you are...dug up some of my old gear this week after several years in storage and no contact with head-fi...tried my amp, but found it to be broken.  But these "cheapo" Alessandro MS-2i are kicking so much butt...I need to find an amp ASAP!

Looking at RSA P-51 and several others.

I'm going to be broke soon :frowning2:

I've met you in person at a San Diego...to top it all off.

Matt

Jul 14, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #14 of 19
I still have a PPX3-6CG7 and a MPX3 too. No problems.

Quote:
The amps Mikhail was turning out at the end were nothing like the ones he did before 2007. There was never an issue with a PPX3 but somehow every SP amp has since been determined to be dangerous. I still have a PPX3/ MPX3/ Supra old style chassis and the very first Extreme (built with an upgarded transformer from the start). Problems??? Zero. They all still work and sound great. What is not safe about a PPX3? The Extreme WAS a problem in some cases and the electrostatic amps were awful. The real problem ..... Mikhail.

Jul 14, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #15 of 19
First batch Extreme Platinum + with several inspections and no troubles. Used it last month (HE-500/K701) while waiting for new HE-6s and it's worth more to give it to someone to value than re-sell for next to nothing. The parts are worth more than the amp around here. The sound is as good as I've heard (limited) from an SE OTL amp and on par with the ZD.

Too bad more can't hear a well built SP amp. For all the nitpicking, they still sound good.

Before someone starts the routine, Mikail did all a dirty deed when he pulled the plug. Not just those with money and amps owed but all his product loses. I have two headphone amps. A SP and a Xin. How fortunate that I love the sound because they can't be supported and aren't worth 20% their cost. The exception being the Xin sold in Japan. Discussing the merits of either does not equate to support of the individual's actions or consequences to our community. To those who's loss was great, I mean no disrespect to you. It was you who bore the brunt of the cost in this betrayal. But for the majority of owners, if it's able to run, it's worth the fun.

No crusade fodder here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back