Singlepower Owners ... cable recs
Apr 21, 2005 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Len

500+ Head-Fier
Yes, I'm finally getting one
tongue.gif

Those who own Singlepowers, what ICs and PCs are you using?

Apr 21, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 10
All Singlepower Audio products follow a Philosophy of an artistic design, visually appealing looks, brute force, and an audibly stunning experience.

Pics, specs and impressions. Pleeease - anyone?

Edit: Sorry, I thought you referred to the comming Singlepower cable products
rolleyes.gif

Apr 21, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #3 of 10
Which Singlepower are you getting?

I use Kimber Select 1011 interconnects and Kimber mains cables

Apr 21, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 10
Congrats Len!
My favorites have been...
Kimber Select 1130 with the balanced amp. I also have been using the BMC Silver and just got the BMC gold alloy this week.
Single ended cables I like the best have been Kimber KCAG and Bogdan Silver spirit Reference.
I use the Lat International AC2 power cords on everything.
Good luck.
600smile.gif

Apr 21, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 10
Hey Len, I'm glad to hear you finally took the leap. I have a feeling you'll have enough tubes to play with for a very long time.

With my MPX3, I use Cardas Neutral Reference IC's and Virtual Dynamics Power 3 PC. I've tried a Virtual Dynamics David PC connected to the amp but didn't hear much of a difference (if at all) over the Power 3. I've tried both of these combinations with a David PC to the Meridian, just so you know.

I've only tried Signal Cable's IC's other than the CNR ones that are connected right now. I definitely heard an improvement with the CNR's but I think that's because the SignalCables were a bit smoother sounding -- and when compared to the CNR's, too smooth. I'm sure if I never compared these two back-to-back, I would have been more than happy with the SignalCables though.

Enjoy your MPX3 and let us know how you like it. BTW, the best combo I've found so far (6NS7) is a pair of Bad Boys and a single TS RP, after trying many different tubes. I think you might know how these sound, after all, I have you to thank for 'em.
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 10
I might still have my Kimber KCAGs
biggrin.gif
I also have some Bodgan Silvers. Sounds like I'm off on the right foot. The cable that has piqued my interest is the Bogdan carbon fiber Sixth Element.

Apr 21, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Len
...The cable that has piqued my interest is the Bogdan carbon fiber Sixth Element.

Congratulations!

Van den Hul's First Ultimate is an all carbon fibre IC. I can only compare it to the hybrid D-102 mkIII, Nordost Red Dawn and, yes, a Kimber as well: the old entry level PBJ.

The First Ultimate has first of all a phenomenal ease and unforced presentation. A lot of air with a voluminous soundstage and it is very linear. The Red Dawn is more forward, faster, has a more limited soundstage but better placing of the musicians in the sound image. The D-102 mkIII is very a like the Red Dawn but has much better bass extension but is also more brash and less refined. The PBJ I would not consider for a MPX3. I am very happy with the VdH First Ultimate. Some find it un-involving and I would agree on that it is perhaps a bit on the darker side of the sound spectrum as apposed to up front and quick. Look for the first version. The rev.II does not have the same bass extension and it's mid's lack a bit of the beutifull naturalness of the first version's.

As to tubes. There is nothing I can add you do not know allready I think
icon10.gif

Besides the Ken-Rad and Sylvania VT-231 set which is very all-round, I personally find a Hytron brown-base (mid 50's) as a driver to add a bit more warmth and forwardness. Swapping the Sylvania's for two Tungsram CV1988 (1953) gives a dark, warm, sensual and transparent charracter. Then of course two RCA VT-231's: a grand presentation with a very expanded soundstage.

Just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back