Singlepower Amps - Good With Grados?
May 2, 2004 at 5:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

seefeel

100+ Head-Fier
How would you say the Grados (SR225) sound with the Singlepower PPX3 or MPX3? Are they an ideal match, or do the Singlepower amps really shine mostly with the Senns?

May 2, 2004 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by seefeel
How would you say the Grados (SR225) sound with the Singlepower PPX3 or MPX3? Are they an ideal match, or do the Singlepower amps really shine mostly with the Senns?

I haven't heard the SR225 with the PPX3, only an RS-1 and SR60 for a brief time at a meet, and I thought they sounded great with it. I also spent some time with the RS-1 and the Supra SDS, and that is a combo to behold. Canman has SR225s and a newly arrived PPX3, so he can probably comment on that combo.

May 2, 2004 at 12:01 PM Post #3 of 8
I've used the RS-1 and the HP-2 with my SDS...very good.(although I'm not much of a fan of the RS-1) I have yet to find a pr. of headphones that don't sound very good with my Singlepower amp. There will be a 225,60, and 325, along with a PPX3 at my place this coming thursday. I'll post some impressions or PM you if you want.
Also Mikhail will voice any amp to your phones if you want.
600smile.gif

May 2, 2004 at 1:03 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
I have yet to find a pr. of headphones that sound very good with my Singlepower amp.

Hey Tom, you gotta edit this sentence before people start getting the wrong idea. You forgot the <don't> in that sentence.
wink.gif

May 2, 2004 at 1:21 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by meech
Hey Tom, you gotta edit this sentence before people start getting the wrong idea. You forgot the <don't> in that sentence.
wink.gif

eek.gif
Thanks
icon10.gif

May 3, 2004 at 3:51 PM Post #6 of 8
Hey Tom,
It would be great to hear your comments on that equipment! Go ahead and post your thoughts on here in case there are others that are interested. Thanks!

May 3, 2004 at 4:50 PM Post #7 of 8
I've had good results using the Supra with RS-1, HP-1, MS Pro, and PS-1.

I had to retube the amp for the PS-1. I had it set up for the Sony R10, which is a bit light on bass. The PS-1 is, if anything, bass heavy. I had to revoice the sound or get blown out of my chair
tongue.gif
This was not as big a deal with the other Grado's, which simply don't have as much bass.

May 3, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
I have yet to find a pr. of headphones that don't sound very good with my Singlepower amp.

Versatility is my favorite characteristic of the Singlepowers. They relly do sound great with all headphones I have tried--Senns, Grados, ATs, and Sonys.

I love the PPX3 / Grado 225 combo. I am hesitant to give any detailed impressions yet because the amp is still burning in but it is already really fun to listen to. I intend to write a review once I have a pair of Senns in the house again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back