Singlepower amp registry
Mar 22, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #18 of 87
I have a Platinum Extreme with BG outputs and a stepped attenuator. This machine started life as a PPX3 6SN7, which I bought used from samgotit. I immediately had Mikhail upgrade it to a PPX3 Slam with attenuator and only had to wait a little for that. Later I had Mikhail upgrade it to its current status. I got a bit of the "it's ready" or "it will ship next week" from Mikhail, but eventually only had to wait 3 months for it.

I've opened it up and verified that everything I've paid for has been done and am satisfied with the build quality and more than satisfied with its sound quality. That being said, Mikhail's behavior in the last year or so means I won't be buying anything else from SP and, if the amp fails, I'll be looking for a local tech to fix it. I really like Mikhail, but his recent behavior is indefensible IMO.

Mar 22, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #19 of 87
Happy Camper, does it say which revision of the board your Extreme is? I have pictures of my Extreme Platinum that Mikhail currently has and the board layout is different. I'm curious how old yours is.

Here's a picture of mine:
user965_pic246_1221190569.jpg

Mar 24, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #22 of 87
Penger,

Sent PM.

Should anyone else want to know, the one in my post is a PPX3-Plus Rev. A

This was one of the first batch to come out as part of the pre-order in late Dec. 06.

Looks like he has a dedicated board for the extreme in your unit.

Don't know if there is a pro or con to the revisions. I assume he would change for the better.

Wish I had a balanced source, I'd get Markmaxx's balanced baby. I have been convinced by the Betas at the meet this last weekend that for dynamic cans, balanced has the best sound.

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #25 of 87
I have a PPX3 on its way. The previous owner didn't know if any upgrades had been performed but it shows at least the headphone socket upgrade to Neutriks.
I'll have to give it a close look when it gets here. If all goes well, it should make for a nice little office amp.

Apr 5, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #26 of 87
So, this is the extent of Singlepower amps left in the Head-Fi community? Only 17 units
frown.gif

Apr 5, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #29 of 87
I dont think I listed mine ....

PPX3 SLAM #1 (blackgate cathode caps)

PPX3 SLAM #2 stock

MPX3 SLAM ( p2p wired/ blackgate cathode caps/ neutrik/ 12 volt option/ uses 5687-12 volt adapters)

Extreme (stock but with upgraded 14 amp power transformer)

Surpa old chassis style #1 ( stock parts/ p2p wired/ high voltage 6bl7gta outputs @400 volts)

Supra old chassis style #2 (stock parts/ p2p wired/ stepped attenuator/ upgraded to use 6AS7 output tubes)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back